Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 21st April 2009, 21:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Software Group Buy?

Does it make sense, and is it legal?

I got this idea from a recent post of mine about Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 that I bought a disc of. It was valid for 3 users. I have only one machine, and thus two were unused. Used another one for a local friend's machine, and after kb100 on the forum asked me whether I have a spare license, I gave one to him.

So, my question is, is it legal and practical for many of us guys to get together, and legally beat both - high software costs AND piracy by making things more economical. Are there multiple user packs for commonly used software which are expensive for individuals to buy? Maybe we could use this thread to put together groups of members wanting to buy the same software, and thus cut down individual costs.

For one, I want to buy a legal version of MS Office 2007, but the costs are high. Is there any bulk option?

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 21st April 2009 at 21:44.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 21:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

I did a similar thing when i bought my Kaspersky pack of 3 licences. Used one, and then gave awa the other two licences for free to my friends.

A good idea, B&T. I dont see whats illegal in it, though. For example, i buy a DVD, and then give it to my friends to see. Nothing illegal in that, right? Unless ofcourse, i were to make copies and sell it.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 22:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

i too did the same thing with norton 2009 my friend who is a computer dealer gave me 1 from the 5 user pack for 500/=.
i don't think there is anything illegal about this as far 3 user are using it.
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

As per the license policy, it always states on the number of computers and nothing else. So, group buying and sharing amongst the specified number of users is legal.

A very good idea there, B&T!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:45   #5
BHPian

Default Free Office Suite

For office suite, you can try the free and open sourced OpenOffice. OpenOffice 3.x is compatible with MS office 2007.
For a feature rich version, u can try the Oxygen OpenOffice or the novel version of OpenOffice.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd April 2009 at 10:02. Reason: Font tags
Abes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Do't worry it is indeed very much legal Ajay, till you start your business of forwarding the same serial no. to all tbhp users
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:45   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Got the same Kaspersky 3-licence pack a coupla months back for 500 - 600 (don't remember the exact amount). Dirt cheap I'd say for an officially licenced great piece of software. Perfectly legal to distribute the other two amongst your friends (as I did too).

Nope, I don't suppose MS has such cheap offers on the office. MS is, after all, MS
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

A good idea, and was used as a business opportunity by a friend a few years back.

The company used to negotiate with manufacturers for discounts based on slabs. So depending on the number of people who signed up for a product, the discounts would be proportionately good, and passed on to all the buyers. It was not limited to s/w, but to a variety of products.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great! So I think this thread can be used for requests from users for software they plan to buy, and see who they can share the costs with.

Even for cheap softwares like the Kaspersky IS2009, the cost could be easily shared if one guy bought the disc from the cheapest available source and just passed on the key via PM or email to the others who can activate downloaded trial versions.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Oops! I thought you'd taken over Satyam.

Jokes apart, I usually do the same - I buy Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite for multiple (upto 5) users and distribute the extra license keys to my unemployed student cousins.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote