Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th April 2009, 14:24   #16
Team-BHP Support

Though I hardly do any developing, long time back I was able to compile Kdevelop for solaris platform.However C++ has some limitations on solaris regarding jumping and thread control. On linux everything works as planned.
That said with unix environment you have a lot of choice which, in many ways is a good thing, but sometimes can be a pain as you don't know what to choose.
There is VIM vs EMACS camp, both are good powerful editors. Some people prefer kdevelop. In debug tools also there are a lot of options.
In the VLSI world all software is developed for Linux in linux environment. Solaris is also supported but is slowly on its way out as all big design houses have big linux farms now
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 14:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

For real programmers, (X)Emacs is one and only editor in the Universe. All others including vi/VIM are Emacs wannabies on Unix, trying to catch up with Emacsens Just kidding, don't want to start another flame-war here. (Before anyone jumps on me, I love VI ).

But if you are a Windows or GUI freak, look elsewhere. Try your luck with CodeBlock, it few similar features as the Visual Studio.

@clevermax, if you are a keyboard shortcut guy, don't look beyond Emacs.

Last edited by RX135 : 27th April 2009 at 15:02.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 15:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
And, for me, VI, Gvim all are the same. If I don't get the whole line selected when I do a Home->Shift->End, that's not an editor for me. Yes the IBM PC keyboard spoiled me
To select a whole line in gvim you can use the command yy. If you want it visually, you can use Home-><Ctrl>V->Shift->End (Ctrl V invokes Visual mode)
Gvim supports cut, copy paste with mouse (though i prefer commands), Completion of keywords and many more.
suvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 15:14   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
amitoj, I've heard about the QT toolkit. I dont know how costly it is. Currently, to make Xwindows based dialogs, people write this .frm files by hand, and run some command over it which will create the actual C file which can render the dialog when run. Then they write the event handling code in the autogenerated functions in that C file. Tedious process isn't it?
That is tedious indeed. I havent seen much of GUI work on unix. Most of the times the GUI is developed on Windows platform while the server process runs on a unix server. This is the usual client-server architecture. Ofcourse, it depends from project to project whether its feasible or not.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 15:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

You can use Tk with Tcl to write GUI easily on Unix.

Availability of GUI tools has nothing to do with OS. Its got to do with end users. You need highly abstracted, easier to use tools for less skilled users.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 15:49   #21
Team-BHP Support

In VLSI domain entire development, including GUI etc., is done in unix environment.
There are quite a few unix programs with excellent gui, for example Firefox browser/Thunderbird email client/KDE desktop Environment etc.,
All the coding is done on Linux for Linux.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 16:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
To select a whole line in gvim you can use the command yy. If you want it visually, you can use Home-><Ctrl>V->Shift->End (Ctrl V invokes Visual mode)
Gvim supports cut, copy paste with mouse (though i prefer commands), Completion of keywords and many more.
Yea visual mode is there, but the point is that I am so used to the keyboard, that I don't want to change my ways for another editor. I am using VI/gvim for the first time in after about 14 years of computer usage, so you could imagine my plight. If gvim could be used in the same way as we use notepad, or wordpad (usability is the key - I'm not comparing functionality) I'd ve loved using it. I don't wanna type 'yy' or 'dd' or 'i' or 'Esc a' or 'Esc :q!' as commands in a text editor you see. Should be able to select text with Shift + Up/Down or mouse, double clicking on a word should select the whole word, tripple clicking should select the whole paragraph, Ctrl+C should copy, Ctrl+V should paste and so on. Don't wan't no command mode, edit mode or visual mode. Should be always in one mode.

Thinknig about an analogy from the automibile world

1) A nice small car with a small engine, enough power and good drivability

2) A powerful car. But no gear stick, one has to to reach out to the gearbox and tap the driven to change gears, and no accelerator, one has to pull the cable by hand, and no seat to sit in front of the steering wheel which doesn't have circular grip but only three spikes from the center.

First one can be compared to wordpad, second one to the vi editor. Please, no offense meant. just a joke.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th April 2009 at 16:27.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 01:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Recently released by Nokia. Looks very good imo. Just for Qt development though...
How to use Qt Creator IDE - Forum Nokia Wiki
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 01:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First one can be compared to wordpad, second one to the vi editor. Please, no offense meant. just a joke.
Alright, offense taken and it was a very poor analogy.

Now that you have kicked up the dirt, let me run into risk of sounding like a broken record. But, just to note down a sample few of what you can do with a Unix editor (as opposed to notepad or whatever).
  • Edit source code, simple! But it has special modes for almost every language under the sun (including english).
  • Source code tags.
  • Integration with version control systems like CVS/SVN.
  • Integration with debugger (albeit not as powerful as Visual studio).
  • Access to shell/command prompt.
  • File Manager (probably offers more operations on files than your Windows Explorer does).
  • Check your emails (weird, but I used it for my emails for 4-5 years).
  • Browse web.
  • 100% customization of short cut keys for every command available in editor.
  • Games (tetris ).
  • Contact book.
  • 100% extensible i.e. you can extend it to do anything under the sun.
It's matter of 3 days to learn it and then it will serve you forever. As a programmer, one should invest in learning editor since it can reduce your work significantly.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 20:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Have been using vi since my college days on solaris and other Unix platforms. Everyone in our team uses vi/vim.

There are UI based editors on solaris studio I believe , but they aren't that popular.

IMHO, it's best to leave stuff like editors and so on to the developers themselves - whatever an individual is comfortable with. Most developers would not like shifting to a different editor.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 08:17   #26
Team-BHP Support

Well, didn't know this topic existed. I did lot of C++ work all of 90s in SunOS (vi), HP-UX (vi), DOS (BC++) and Windows (BC++ & VC++). In this decade, 95% Windows (Visual Studio), 5% in HP-UX (vi). Since most of my current work in HP-UX is occasional maintenance of my own old code from the 90s, I haven't explored anything beyond good old vi.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 11:20   #27
BHPian

I am a Eclipse addict. It does have a CDT (C/++ development tool) integrated plus it has a whole gamut of plugins (many of them free) including for twitting, and facebook etc.

Like any java based gui it is slow to start, but, once loaded, it has everything you need for your 9-6 job in office

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 11:39   #28
BHPian

Never knew about this thread.

Have been using vim + cscope for years and no other editor comes close to it. My productivity has improved a lot since I started using this combo.

Vim is not just an editor but you can do anything and everything with it. The power of regex for searching/substitution etc is amazing. You can actually turn Vim into a full fledged IDE of your taste. I have all the bells and whistles (word completion, source code browsing, symbol search) in my Vim for my Python development.

I am so addicted to Vim that my firefox has vim interface. Check out Vimperator you vim lovers.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 12:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used "ed" on Unix, it's the oldest of editors on Unix AFAIK. the "sed" tool borrows extensively from "ed".

Here's an interesting link :

9 Oldest Text Editors you probably have never heard of
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 12:16   #30
BHPian

If you use the KDE there are a certain c++ UI tools available along with the KDE itself. Qt is a good example.

Apart from that I also occasionally use the Eclipse C++ plugin.

However i still prefer using the Vi. In fact i have started to use Vi in Windows machines too. I just love its simplicity and the fact that a well designed code does not need anything more than the super fast Vi. Use VI with ctags in case you need to cross reference anything.

If you want keywords you could add dictionary to your Vi in C++ plugin.
arunmur is offline   Reply With Quote