Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th April 2009, 21:27   #1
BHPian

Default Do you know how Reliance charge you?

I own a BSNL postpaid. I use plan 325. In it the pulse rate is 15 sec. That means if I make a call for 10 seconds I will be charged for 15 seconds and not one minute as most other service providers do.

I also own a Reliance Pre Paid.Today I observed an interesting fact: If I ring up someone, the call-duration counter starts with the first ring itself. That is, When I dial someone and it rings for 10 seconds before I speak to the person for about 51 seconds, I will be charged for two minutes. I suppose the billing should start after the dialled number is connected. You know why Reliance is rich!

What's your observation about other service providers?
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 00:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

How are you checking that you have been billed for 2 mins? It seems CDMA phone counters start with the 1st ring (or when you press the CALL button, I guess)... but the actual billing is not done in your phone! It will be done by Reliance's systems... and it should be for 1 min ... if you have spoken for 51 secs. Please check your actual billing.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th April 2009 at 00:30.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 00:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

you are wrong the counter on your phone starts when the phone ring but the counter at the system starts when the person you calling picks up the phone.

do check it again
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 00:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

i am using 2 RIM prepaids
i dont think its true.
i use these just for RIM to RIM calls local or STD which is free,so never checked it either
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 00:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
but the actual billing is not done in your phone! It will be done by Reliance's systems... and it should be for 1 min .
Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
you are wrong the counter on your phone starts when the phone ring but the counter at the system starts when the person you calling picks up the phone.

do check it again

This is configurable. You can start charging from call setup or from the time it is answered. Or indeed any other event during the call - you could technically start charging from the point the signalling is set-up, i.e., even before it rings.

Therefore it all depends on what the service provider has decided to bill you for. Wouldnt be surprised if they charge for answered calls from the time the call is set up - its perhaps a few seconds more but a few hundred million seconds a day sure makes one big packet!

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th April 2009 at 00:55.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 10:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Had that been the case, even a missed call would have been chargeable. Is it ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 10:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Had that been the case, even a missed call would have been chargeable. Is it ?
yes.

But as pointed earlier it is the system which bills you not your phone. There are some phones which start the counter at the first ring, motorola and samsung dont know the model exactly.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 11:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

This is not true for Reliance prepaid. Missed rings are not chargeable.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 11:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I had BSNL falsely charge me for both late payment and reconnection recently. My psotpaid has a credit limit of Rs2000 and the bill was Rs338. Also, I had deposited in cheque on the 10th of March, but they cleared it only on the 25th. They had disconnected the line and I had to ask a DGM to get it going again.

Thus late payment - They cannot blame me if they take their sweet time in clearing the cheque.
Disconnection: Should never have happened since the outstanding was 338 while the credit limit is 2000.

But then it is Bharat Sarkar!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 14:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
This is configurable. You can start charging from call setup or from the time it is answered. Or indeed any other event during the call - you could technically start charging from the point the signalling is set-up, i.e., even before it rings.

Therefore it all depends on what the service provider has decided to bill you for. Wouldnt be surprised if they charge for answered calls from the time the call is set up - its perhaps a few seconds more but a few hundred million seconds a day sure makes one big packet!
every company charges you when the call is answered, there can be difference of 2 sec in the call timer. like your phone will show 43 sec and the bill detail will show 45 sec.

but they don't cheat it this way, same will happens for the prepaid customers, if a prepaid customer call you and if you pick the phone after 20 sec and you speak to him for 50 sec this means will he be charged for 1 min 10 sec, NO.
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 14:14   #11
BHPian

Like every operator, Reliance starts charging once the call is picked up by the called party. I think these are terms and conditons dictated by TRAI.
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 13:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Even if it is configured to start charging from the time signalling is set up, in case of a missed call or unanswered call the subscriber cannot be billed, the way we have designed our product is that in case of an unanswered call or missed call the chargeable duration is zero inside the detailed billing record or in case of an answered call the time from the answer event till release is the billing duration, however the duration of the call in terms of seconds (from ringing till release) along with the reason why the call ended is also recorded.

This data is typically used by the operators when you have do to interconnect between 2 service providers.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote