Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 11:44   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now to find that toslink-to-toslink cable to connect the WDTV to my A/V receiver. Clearly not available in my rural setup. Does anyone know some online store that sells toslink cable.

Damn, I did have a toslink cable which I was previously using, but I switched over the coax sometime back. But I can't find the toslink cable I discarded.
Err... what's is Toslink??? I connect my A/V receiver through an HDMI cable; will toslink be better?

Edit: I did a google and found out what it is. I guess it goes in the pentagonal socket on the WDTV. But will it give better quality than HDMI?

And you can buy it from eBay; for 500-600 bucks.

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 25th May 2009 at 11:51.
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 11:58   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Samurai, I am not able to load the website for MX Electronics. They have the toslink cable you are looking for. They must be having some dealer in Bangalore (with contact details) who can be contacted to source the cable. Its a common cable and I recently got myself one from Delhi for about 400/- (3 mts.)

Ebay has a few listings for the cable:
eBay India: Optical SPDIF Audio Cable - Toslink to Toslink 3 meters (item 120423392722 end time 27-May-2009 21:05:36 IST)|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A25

eBay India: Toslink to Toslink Optical SPDIF Cable 5m (item 360157253103 end time 30-May-2009 11:02:46 IST)|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A25

Check them out.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 12:00   #18
BHPian
 
varun911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 62
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The only legal source of HD movies for me is from torrent. Its literally impossible to source it from any retailer. Chances are that they might be selling pirated copies. Very few places have genuine stuff, like the shop Crossworld.
OT: Torrents are legal?
varun911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 12:07   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Not all torrents are illegal but I am yet to see a legal torrent for hd material. I hope aaggoswami gives us some more insight into this.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 13:09   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Err... what's is Toslink??? I connect my A/V receiver through an HDMI cable; will toslink be better?
There are lots of toslink vs hdmi discussions all over the web. In my case I don't have a choice since my Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V Receiver is a 2003 model, and doesn't support HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Ebay has a few listings for the cable:
eBay India: Optical SPDIF Audio Cable - Toslink to Toslink 3 meters (item 120423392722 end time 27-May-2009 21:05:36 IST)|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A25

eBay India: Toslink to Toslink Optical SPDIF Cable 5m (item 360157253103 end time 30-May-2009 11:02:46 IST)|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A25

Check them out.
I don't have an eBay account, can I still buy it as guest?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 13:27   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,203
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default

Guys,
I've been keenly following this thread for the past few days. I aint an electronics geek, but I'd surely like to watch HD content on my 9 month old 42" Panny Plasma. I guess I need to acquire the following (gurus please correct me):-
  1. A WD player listed on this thread
  2. A portable hard disk with USB connection
  3. An HDMI cable
  4. HD content movies/ serials (source not known)
I'd be glad if someone guided me on the best options for procuring each of the above. I have the option of buying the WD player online, but I also have a colleague returning from the US next month. Which would be a better option?
Also, my colleague has bought a Seagate 350gb portable hard disk for Rs 3600. Would that be good enough for storing HD content? Or is there any better model?
Thanks in advance.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 13:43   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There are lots of toslink vs hdmi discussions all over the web. In my case I don't have a choice since my Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V Receiver is a 2003 model, and doesn't support HDMI.

I don't have an eBay account, can I still buy it as guest?
It hardly takes a minute to sign up on ebay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys,
I've been keenly following this thread for the past few days. I aint an electronics geek, but I'd surely like to watch HD content on my 9 month old 42" Panny Plasma. I guess I need to acquire the following (gurus please correct me):-
  1. A WD player listed on this thread
  2. A portable hard disk with USB connection
  3. An HDMI cable
  4. HD content movies/ serials (source not known)
I'd be glad if someone guided me on the best options for procuring each of the above. I have the option of buying the WD player online, but I also have a colleague returning from the US next month. Which would be a better option?
Also, my colleague has bought a Seagate 350gb portable hard disk for Rs 3600. Would that be good enough for storing HD content? Or is there any better model?
Thanks in advance.
As far as I know, WD does not offer international warranty on the WDTV but I may be wrong. If this is correct, then its safer to get the WDTV from India with Indian warranty.

The 360GB HDD should be good to go if it has a USB connection.

You can connect the WDTV using the component cable also.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 14:19   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,203
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post

As far as I know, WD does not offer international warranty on the WDTV but I may be wrong. If this is correct, then its safer to get the WDTV from India with Indian warranty.

The 360GB HDD should be good to go if it has a USB connection.

You can connect the WDTV using the component cable also.
Thanks for the quick update, SumitB. The 360 gb HDD that I mentioned can be connected to the computer only via a USB--it does not have a power supply on its own. So will this prove to be a detriment--I mean if I connect it to the WD player, where does it derive its power supply from?

Further, where can I get Hi Def content movies from---either legal or not so legal?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 14:36   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for the quick update, SumitB. The 360 gb HDD that I mentioned can be connected to the computer only via a USB--it does not have a power supply on its own. So will this prove to be a detriment--I mean if I connect it to the WD player, where does it derive its power supply from?

Further, where can I get Hi Def content movies from---either legal or not so legal?
Yes, your 360GB will work with the WDTV. It need not have any external power source.

I will not comment anything on the illegal sources for hi-def content. The mods don't allow such discussions here and I will get an infraction.

For legal sources, let me know if you come across any!

Last edited by SumitB : 25th May 2009 at 14:39.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 14:50   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,203
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Yes, your 360GB will work with the WDTV. It need not have any external power source.

I will not comment anything on the illegal sources for hi-def content. The mods don't allow such discussions here and I will get an infraction.

For legal sources, let me know if you come across any!
Ha ha, gotcha!
Will research and let you know. The only info I have is that HD content in blue ray discs is available in some PlanetM stores, but I don't think the WD player can play those.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 15:54   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Interesting thread..

I have a 32 Sony LCD along with a DVD player and a 5.1 system. The new DVD player has a HDMI connect that works with my TV. So I got rid of my Coaxials from DVD to TV and went the HDMI way.

One thing I'm not too sure about is how to convert my old DVDs to HD to play in the setup.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 16:00   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Normal DVD is not HD, so you can't. Generally HD-TV up-samples your normal signals, that's the best you can get from normal DVDs.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 16:18   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,229
Thanked: 21,888 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
....So I got rid of my Coaxials from DVD to TV and went the HDMI way. ...
If you mean composite video, then this in itself should improve the picture quality a noticable amount.

(HDMI, Component, etc are better than Svideo or composite)

However, as Samurai mentioned, (keeping it simple) the "HD" realm starts at 720 horizontal lines of resolution, whereas DVD is only ~480 lines, and upsampling it is not going to yeild any quality increase.


Cool thread Samurai - i just got a 720p DLP projector and am going through a similar thing.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 16:25   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Not all torrents are illegal but I am yet to see a legal torrent for hd material. I hope aaggoswami gives us some more insight into this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun911 View Post
OT: Torrents are legal?

Well as far as my knowledge goes, peer to peer transfer is not termed illegal, and that is why the site " thepiratebay.org " existed. So my source has been torrents always, and sometimes I have to keep my pc ON continuously for days just for this.

The site that is in trouble right now has been my main source of download, i.e. thepiratebay.org.
.org means its not a commercial site like .com, so I have used this website for most of the downloads. If I am not able to get the stuff that I wanted, I googled it around and managed to get torrent for the stuff.

After reading that piratebay is in trouble, I am nervous.

True HD = Sony Blue ray.
Normal DVD movies cannot be HD.


Moreover, if I go anywhere to get any legal stuff on movies, then chances are that the seller might be having pirated stuff himself. Rapidshare accounts are being used to upload and download the movies.
So I found out that if I go around to get legal stuff, I might be buying pirated stuff at high cost, so turned on to peer to peer transfer network.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 25th May 2009 at 16:28.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 16:56   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Samurai, you paid about 1000/- extra for the WDTV. You could have got it for about 7200/- inclusive of shipping from Lynx Chandigarh Largest Electronic & Computer Superstore
7200??? Thats 2k costlier than you can get from DXB or US !
My colleagues bought it for 5k or so 2 months back !
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Desire'ing' High Definition!" - review of the HTC Desire HD bIte tHe bulLet Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 18th June 2012 17:27
Yamaha’s definition of customer service CoNrOd Motorbikes 30 14th January 2010 19:00
Redefining small car definition in India? romeomidhun The Indian Car Scene 15 11th September 2009 13:11
MG name's definition changed! theMAG The International Automotive Scene 7 13th January 2007 03:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks