Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 25th May 2009, 17:27   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
7200??? Thats 2k costlier than you can get from DXB or US !
My colleagues bought it for 5k or so 2 months back !
That is true. Its available for 99$ or less if you order through online US stores, but then, everyone cannot get things from the US!
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 17:58   #32
Team-BHP Support

I had the option of buying the WDTV from USA, but then I'd like reserve that option for really expensive stuff like lenses. No point doing it for items before 10k.

BTW, I got the toslink-to-toslink cable in Udupi, it is a Stone brand 1 meter cable priced at 180 bucks. My eariler Acoustic Research toslink cable bought in 2003 looked like a Ferrari compared to this one. I hope the quality isn't too bad, or else I'll have to get one more later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
However, as Samurai mentioned, (keeping it simple) the "HD" realm starts at 720 horizontal lines of resolution, whereas DVD is only ~480 lines, and upsampling it is not going to yeild any quality increase.
The normal DVD is just 480i, not even 480p. Only 720p and above is considered HD. Had I waited couple more years, I could have got 1080p capable TV. Anyway, I guess I'll survive with 720p for now.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th May 2009 at 18:04.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 18:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Normal DVD is not HD, so you can't. Generally HD-TV up-samples your normal signals, that's the best you can get from normal DVDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
One thing I'm not too sure about is how to convert my old DVDs to HD to play in the setup.
Quote:
The normal DVD is just 480i, not even 480p. Only 720p and above is considered HD. Had I waited couple more years, I could have got 1080p capable TV. Anyway, I guess I'll survive with 720p for now.
Sharat, any software such as Nero HD should be able to convert my regular DVD to HD right?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 18:53   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sharat, any software such as Nero HD should be able to convert my regular DVD to HD right?
Er.. You can't take a low resolution video and convert into high resolution video. Yes, there are DVD player or TVs that can convert 480i to 480p with 3:2 pulldown. That's the best you can do to improve the DVD quality.

Converting 480 to 720 or 1080 is just guessing the lines in between, it is not really HD. Don't bother with that.
Old 25th May 2009, 19:32   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Not all torrents are illegal but I am yet to see a legal torrent for hd material. I hope aaggoswami gives us some more insight into this.
There are lots of legal torrents, but the thumb rule is, if its something really good that you want then 99% its not free or legal to download.

I think the only legal/free Full HD short movie is The Elephants Dream. You can get it from here. Its ok types, no great shakes.
LegalTorrents™ - Movies

Not sure if WD does upscaling or how it is. I have a Popcorn hour and the up-scaling on it is pretty good. But not as good as Original HD.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 06:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Er.. You can't take a low resolution video and convert into high resolution video. Yes, there are DVD player or TVs that can convert 480i to 480p with 3:2 pulldown. That's the best you can do to improve the DVD quality.

Converting 480 to 720 or 1080 is just guessing the lines in between, it is not really HD. Don't bother with that.
Hey, have managed to download a couple of software that converts SD to HD videos.

Will try them and let you know whether I succeed.
Old 27th May 2009, 11:00   #37
BHPian

If one is planning to achieve full HD movie experience at home in the next 3 yrs (budget constraint before that), what are the components that one needs to start investing in?
I mean a full HD TV should be the last thing that one buys as tech seems to be changing quite rapidly and the costs are going south to match. Alternately, a good A/V receiver can be invested in the next 6 months and it would definitely not become obsolete in 3 yrs right? I am just looking at 1080p (maybe even 720p would be okay) as I am sure that with the size of my small living room, I'd not be able to discern any major difference between the two.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 15:14   #38
Team-BHP Support

kalpeshc,

To be honest, on a small screen the difference between 720p (1280x720) and 1080p (1920x1080) is not earthshaking.

So if youre screen is going to be <42" or so, you could easily get away with 720p if it saves you a lot of $.

The only case i would consider a full-hd anyway is if you plan to hook your TV up to the computer. 1080p is worth it in that case.

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 18:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
what are the components that one needs to start investing in?
1. HTPC, basically a PC that is very small (and silent) but powerfull enough to play thing in Full HD
2. NAS, to keep your stash of Full HD content

HTPC would have remote etc so it would not really feel like a "PC"

3. a Decent Amp + Speaker system that can accept Digital 5.1 sound from HTPC

Cost :

HTPC + NAS : 20k
Amp + Speakers : 25k
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 10:48   #40
BHPian

HTPC is not a way that I'd be going for various reasons. To get the advantage of playing HD content on the hard disk, I'd prefer a good DVD player having USB support which can read HD content off a 16 Gb pen drive.

I basically want to setup my living room entertainment system (on a budget)

1. 42" FullHD (or even something which supports 720p) LCD/Plasma (whichever is cheaper). This would be the last component that i get

2. A good DVD player (Blu-ray is still not the norm in India and getting Blu-ray discs locally would be an issue) which can read files off a USB in variety of formats (especially MKV - which is 1080p right?)

3. A wireless (wires are too messy and a pain to hide in the living room) 5.1 surround sound speaker system which can play decent Indian music and decent DTS from DVDs.

4. An A/V receiver (I am clueless about this and am not sure why should I need this and not hook up the speakers directly to the DVD player)

The idea is to do this on a budget - and spend money to build my DVD collection. Nothing high end required. Mid-range components which are value for money would be preferred.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 02:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I downloaded a 720p video to test my 32 inch LCD. what's the best player to run it on my 1.2 GHz 700+ MB ram winxp machine? by default it tried to run it in VLC player and kept hanging every other second.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 03:56   #42
BHPian

@vivekiny2k
If you don't have a graphics card, you're out of luck.
Your processor simply doesn't have the horsepower to run that smoothly at all.

If you really want to enjoy HD movies, get yourself a graphics card. Even the cheapest ones will offer butter smooth HD playback.
d3mon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 04:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty sure i have a graphics card. what the minimum spec i need on it?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 09:06   #44
Team-BHP Support

I think it will be cheaper and lot less messier to use WDTV than hook up your computer to TV. Just think about it.
Old 7th June 2009, 12:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Ok, I downloaded a 720p video to test my 32 inch LCD. what's the best player to run it on my 1.2 GHz 700+ MB ram winxp machine? by default it tried to run it in VLC player and kept hanging every other second.
Yeah VLC consumes resources. Try GOM player.