Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th May 2009, 20:07   #1
BHPian

Default Dell India adopting pricing policies of small time vendors

There is something really not right with Dell India.

In US, buying from dell is one of the most hassle free experiences. The price quoted in the website is consistent and any additional discount is through coupons etc.

In India the scenario is totally mind boggling. Everytime you call one sales executive the pricing is different. We have ordered one server in our company where the pricing difference was nearly 30%. We have had similar experience when ordering spares too. Nowadays my colleagues are treating the dell salesmen like roadside vendors, starting with 50-60% of the value and going on for 15 mins and settling down to some value. May be it doesnt work always, but the whole process makes it very unpleasant experience. The same cannot be said about HP where we found the quotes very consistent.

I see some other sites too where people seem to be arranging for peripherals and computers from dell and different price points for the same product.

I dont understand why a company like dell cannot operate a simple website with consistent pricing, accept orders online and process the order. This whole process of getting quotations etc is very painful. For this very reason, we have placed an order in US and getting the same shipped here. It took nearly 2 weeks for the dell representative to give a quotation for a server. It cant get worse.
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 20:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dell India execs operate on a revenue model. They are free to operate within that - in other words they can even sell a machine/part below cost so long as they are positive on net revenue. (esp in situations where it is likely to spawn higher sales) Their incentives/targets are all revenue based and not machine based. Therefore if you are lucky to get an exec who is way ahead of target - you are likely to land a lower price. Their add ons like RAM, warranty upgrades etc score very high on revenue. (- so they can make up there !)
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 21:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats the reason there are No 1 . Well a lot of ppl like DELL . Their support is good . Well if you dont like them ,go elsewhere isnt it ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 11:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Thats the reason there are No 1 . Well a lot of ppl like DELL . Their support is good . Well if you dont like them ,go elsewhere isnt it ?
We have dell pcs at work, I own a dell at home too. Lot of people like it I agree, I like it too. And I said earlier, its extremely easy to buy one in the US and you never feel terribly cheated. But if I have to shell out 70K more for ONE server just because an internal revenue model put me on the losing side, its hard to digest it. On another quote, the price for hard drives and RAM for our servers reduced from 87K to less than 40K. A marginal difference of 10-20% is clearly understandable. But the difference in quotes is as high as 50%. Current procedure with a dell executive, bargain! If it doesnt work, go to another dell executive and bargain even more. Repeat this procedure till your patience permits.

I hope everyone in Dell dont have the attitude of "go elsewhere".
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 13:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
There is something really not right with Dell India.

In US, buying from dell is one of the most hassle free experiences. The price quoted in the website is consistent and any additional discount is through coupons etc.

In India the scenario is totally mind boggling. Everytime you call one sales executive the pricing is different. We have ordered one server in our company where the pricing difference was nearly 30%. We have had similar experience when ordering spares too. Nowadays my colleagues are treating the dell salesmen like roadside vendors, starting with 50-60% of the value and going on for 15 mins and settling down to some value. May be it doesnt work always, but the whole process makes it very unpleasant experience. The same cannot be said about HP where we found the quotes very consistent.

I see some other sites too where people seem to be arranging for peripherals and computers from dell and different price points for the same product.

I dont understand why a company like dell cannot operate a simple website with consistent pricing, accept orders online and process the order. This whole process of getting quotations etc is very painful. For this very reason, we have placed an order in US and getting the same shipped here. It took nearly 2 weeks for the dell representative to give a quotation for a server. It cant get worse.
Sorry but you are confusing two things here. B2C and B2B. AFAIK the coupons are valid only on consumer products not servers etc. Even Dell US gives non standard discounts in case of servers etc just like any vendor. That depends on you and your company's negotiation capabilities.

This is true for any server vendor in India also, be it Dell, Sun, IBM or HP. There is a fixed price list, but nothing ever gets sold on that price. I have seen discounts ranging from 20% to 65%!

PS: I have worked in the computer hardware industry in B2B sales.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 16:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
If it doesnt work, go to another dell executive and bargain even more. Repeat this procedure till your patience permits.
You know this seems to be true for B2C purchases also. I bought a Dell Studio 14 laptop a couple of months ago. The first sales lady I talked to gave me no discount and said it was not their policy. I didn't proceed and checked out other brands and almost settled on a ThinkPad. I called Dell once more and this time the sales guy I got was much more flexible. I got a discount and a Bluetooth mouse thrown in for free. Coupled with a two year comprehensive warranty it all came to the same or a little less than the ThinkPad.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 19:10   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I got a 25% flat discount on my workstation from the first Dell exec I interacted with. Can't say I'm complaining!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I got a 25% flat discount on my workstation from the first Dell exec I interacted with. Can't say I'm complaining!
Did you use the Dell No. that was listed on dell.co.in or some other nos. ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote