Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th June 2009, 15:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Here is my ordeal: My desktop, running XP (fully patched) with antivirus and spyscanner and et la started acting funny for the last couple of months. Used to work normally, but would suddenly freeze / hang. Had to reboot to get back.

This use to happen at irregular intervals. Suspect it to be a virus issue and tried running all antivirus, malware busters and all, but the end result was the same - run for 1~2 hrs and then hang! This "confirmed" my spam theory.

Was not looking at immediate re-installation, since this current installation is running for the last couple of years without and issue and too many installations that I have no idea about, but also have no idea when I might need them.

So, after close to year, I think, of this issue being there, yesterday decided to do something about it. First step was to clean the guy up.

Took the CPU fan and it was burning hot! (It has just hung itself!!!). Took out the fan and the heat sink on top of the CPU and dusted it.

Well, there was dust. Tons of them. So much so that I had to spend 45 minutes, brushing and blowing and brushing and pulling out the clogged dust and all! Also spend another 1 hour cleaning the whole system internals.

Fixed them back, and ran a antivirus check, which ran for 4 hours with full CPU usage and it never hung! The heat sink was not being fried either!

Guess, the PC could not take the 6+ years of dust it has accumulated.

Slept well last night knowing that I have sorted out a big concern that I was having.

Lesson learnt - Clean the freaking PC periodically, you lazy user!!! (Never imagined this could be the culprit!)
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 15:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Is this a USB keyboard ?
Nope, its a regular keyboard.

It's a small irritant but i never consider it as a problem. I usually boot the comp, open the notepad, type a letter and it hangs, then re-boot so it does not give me any problems in between my work.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 13:52   #18
BHPian

My PC hangs while left idle for more than 1/2 hours. Otherwise It's perfect. Have checked all power config etc and no help there Not ablt to use BSNL night unlimited because of this stupid problem. Got some software which keeps pressing (Simulating) Shift Keypress every one minute. 1st Day it helped. But not thereafter. Tried some software for generating random mouse movements. Any help on how to make the PC assume that's it's not idle. Running Movies etc doesn't help.One more thing helped was defrag of HDD. But can't do it every day as it finishes fast.
manavdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 12:43   #19
BHPian

Unhappy

The only progress I could make is that It hangs only while doing Torrent. That too only once. After reboot it keeps going on torrent/Download etc. I tried upgrading Realtek Network Driver. The setup completes and says installed Windows Device Driver still shows older version.

I tried Update driver from device manager and sort of forced it even if Windows said it's incompatible with hardware (How can it be. It's from the network card vendor realtek) and Network Card/Pc is about an year old.After that It showed latest version of firmware in device manager but Network didn't work. After several hit and trials I could rollback the driver and somehow make it work.

1. Why windows device driver upgrade say incompatible for a firmware from same vendor as network card ie. Realtek.
2. Is there anything else in Utorrent which sort of kills Windows and need to be tuned.
3. Why does it hang only once and after reboot it works fine ?
4. In other usual operations PC doesn't hang.

Last edited by manavdotcom : 24th August 2009 at 12:44.
manavdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote