Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 23rd June 2009, 17:31   #1
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Anyone ordered from sonicelectronix.com?

Hey guys,

I guess a lot of people here probably bought their Clarion HU, or other ICE stuff from sonicelectronix.com, so i just wanted help with ordering my Clarion from the website.

1. The check out process asks for the phone number of the credit card issuer- do they actually call our bank and verify the details?

2. I wanted to ship this order to Singapore in my friend's name, using my India credit card. This is to save on customs, as I am traveling to Singapore soon and will easily pick it up from my friend. Now, sonicelectronix says they will only ship to an alternate address if i have registered this address with my credit card issuer. Now i called my bank, and they have no friggin' clue about registering an "alternate shipping address" for my card account. Did any of you encounter a similar problem and if yes, what was the solution?

3. What's this thing with credit card ID verification fee? In my case, it is bumping up my order cost by a nice $13. Did you have to pay it?

4. Lastly, (this should be the first question!) is this site safe to order stuff from? Do they meet their shipping timeline promises?

Thanks in advance all ye supporting T-Bhpians!

Last edited by greenh0rn : 23rd June 2009 at 17:36. Reason: Added one more question
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Don't know about buying from here, but I had a lot of my stuff ordered & paid for online by a friend in the US & delivered in the US from sonicelectronix. The experience has been very good.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:30   #3
BHPian

Thanks esteem_lover, so the trust part is guaranteed. Now for the logistics of ordering from India- has anyone done it? Come on guys 55 views and no hints/suggestions yet!
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:31   #4
BHPian

I tried, But they tried to charge me around $10 for card verification. And they dont accept paypal.
ibm_jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:47   #5
BHPian

A friend of mine who buys a lot of stuff online prefers staying away from sites that don't accept paypal because paypal does not reveal your card details to the vendor and seeks purchase confirmations, etc and as a result protects the buyer to an extent..

Having said that a few bhpians, have bought stuff via SE.com and not had issues.

Most of sonic's prices are great, however they are not authorised sellers so there maybe stock out issues.

You could check out some reseller reviews for sonix here --> SonicElectronix - sonicelectronix.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

Last edited by pranava999 : 23rd June 2009 at 21:49.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Hey guys,

2. I wanted to ship this order to Singapore in my friend's name, using my India credit card. This is to save on customs, as I am traveling to Singapore soon and will easily pick it up from my friend. Now, sonicelectronix says they will only ship to an alternate address if i have registered this address with my credit card issuer. Now i called my bank, and they have no friggin' clue about registering an "alternate shipping address" for my card account. Did any of you encounter a similar problem and if yes, what was the solution?
GreenhOrn, yes the address where the product is to be shipped has to be registered with the C. Card company. But our Indian banks have no clue regarding this. Atleast SBI don't.

Best possible solution IMO is to pay through Western Union transfer, details of which are mentioned on the SonicElectronix website.

I am telling you coz I have gone through this process.

Although i avoided these hassles and asked one of my relatives to order and carry it for me.

Hope this helps.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
I tried, But they tried to charge me around $10 for card verification. And they dont accept paypal.
Hi IBM, I am ok about paying $12.xx as verification charge- since i have no other option :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Having said that a few bhpians, have bought stuff via SE.com and not had issues.

You could check out some reseller reviews for sonix here --> SonicElectronix - sonicelectronix.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings
Wow- thanks Pranava. SE ratings are excellent (save for the latest review), so I don't need to worry much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
GreenhOrn, yes the address where the product is to be shipped has to be registered with the C. Card company. But our Indian banks have no clue regarding this. Atleast SBI don't.

Best possible solution IMO is to pay through Western Union transfer, details of which are mentioned on the SonicElectronix website.

I am telling you coz I have gone through this process.

Although i avoided these hassles and asked one of my relatives to order and carry it for me.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Abhinav. Sadly, I don't have anyone in the US who I could ask to buy/ship to India.

One thing though, does anyone know what would Singapore prices for DXZ786USB be (assuming it has exactly the same functions)? If it costs up to US$230- then I don't need to do anything but pick it from there.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't singapore have similar audio video equipment retail websites?

I had purchased an amp from SE. Relative brought it into India. No issues with the product.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 00:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

The HU might be available in singapore and for cheaper rates there you can checkout there.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 00:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post

3. What's this thing with credit card ID verification fee? In my case, it is bumping up my order cost by a nice $13. Did you have to pay it?
Why dont you use your friend's Credit card to order.

Secondly the credit card verification shuld be a temporary transaction which should roll back in a few days (at least it happens here)
maxj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 10:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Doesn't singapore have similar audio video equipment retail websites?
No, except ebay Singapore!! I'm now ordering from them- got a sweet sweet deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
The HU might be available in singapore and for cheaper rates there you can checkout there.
Thanks mate- decided on ebay for now for the sweet deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxj2005 View Post
Why dont you use your friend's Credit card to order.

Secondly the credit card verification shuld be a temporary transaction which should roll back in a few days (at least it happens here)
Hi maxj, my friend is in Singapore and his being a non-US credit card, he'd also have to pay the verification fee. Also, this ain't no temporary transaction- SE physically calls the card issuer bank in question and asks for the verification!
Old 24th June 2009, 10:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Whatever you buy avoid buying through Credit Card instead buy through netcard or ecard to safe guard from credit card frauds.

EX: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-pls-help.html (Online Credit Card Scam...Pls help!!)
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 12:59   #13
BHPian

Thanks Ashish for the heads-up- I have been ordering online since 2000 (yeah you might remember fabmart days ) so am always very careful with security. In this case, Paypal was used as intermediary- so I am relatively safer (as a general practice, I always shop with a card with credit limit in late teens).

Alright guys, here's the announcement that possibly renders this thread null and void ab-initio, I ended up ordering from ebay Singapore (the seller is in the US though), and the deal was the sweetest I've heard in a long time. US$185 including shipping. I am very happy with this!