Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 11:35   #1
BHPian

convert pdf files to crd(coral draw) files

Hi i am into aero modeling.I have been downloadin lots of aero modeling plans from the net.Most of the plans are in pdf format ,now i need to convert these files into crd format for modification or stl format for lazer cutting.can any one help me with the conversion software
Old 27th July 2009, 11:56   #2
BHPian

Zilla

Try PDFZilla.

It is a free download.Best wishes to your career.
Old 27th July 2009, 11:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

Lots of tools like Gimp etc., convert PDF to JPEG. If JPG files work for you, you can first try to convert to JPG and later use your software to import JPG to your format.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

JPEG would not work in this case.

For working with Mech tools you need vector images that can be scaled to very high DPI. PDF / SVG and likes are the only option.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hmm from a technical point of view I am wondering how can a JPEG be converted into Vector graphics.
first you would have to go through a high pass filter to isolate the lines, and then convert.
GIMP opens SVG, but I am not aware if it can save as SVG
Old 27th July 2009, 12:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am not talking about converting JPEG to Vector.

PDF files are already vector if they are generated by any modeling tool.

Corel draw has PDF import feature. So you can try using that. (Importing Adobe® Illustrator®(AI) and Portable Document Format - CorelDRAW Graphics Suite)
Old 27th July 2009, 14:07   #7
BHPian

At Present What We Do Is We Download These Files(pdf Files) In Adobe Then Print It Out( Each Drawing Has 20 To 30 Pages A4 Size(what We Call Tiles)),stick Each Page (tile)like A Big Mat And Then Measure The Drawing And Recreate It In Coral Draw Formate And Then Export It To Lazer Machine For The Cutting.all This Ex Takes Us A Week To Make One Plane.i Wll Link You One Of The Pdf Plans And The Photo Pls Have A Look .
Attached Thumbnails
convert pdf files to crd(coral draw) files-x41_small.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf X-41_Deltastorm_Full.pdf (199.2 KB, 622 views)
File Type: pdf X-41_Deltastorm_Tiled.pdf (68.8 KB, 499 views)
Old 27th July 2009, 21:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil1300 View Post
At Present What We Do Is We Download These Files(pdf Files) In Adobe Then Print It Out( Each Drawing Has 20 To 30 Pages A4 Size(what We Call Tiles)),stick Each Page (tile)like A Big Mat And Then Measure The Drawing And Recreate It In Coral Draw Formate.... .
Jeeez!! Thats a lot of extra work!!

I dont know the best program for you, but i do know that Adobe Illustrator can open a PDF and then EXPORT as a .dwg or a .dxf. (Not sure if it can save in CDR...maybe theres a plugin for it?)

Anyway, I'm almost sure the laser cutter should accept either DWG or DXF - so you should try that.

(Also i believe you can download Illustrator for a free, fully functional(?) 30 day trial on the Adobe website.)

cya
R
Old 27th July 2009, 21:35   #9
BHPian

well the lazer machine can only understand STL format
Old 27th July 2009, 22:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil1300 View Post
At Present What We Do Is We Download These Files(pdf Files) In Adobe Then Print It Out( Each Drawing Has 20 To 30 Pages A4 Size(what We Call Tiles)),stick Each Page (tile)like A Big Mat And Then Measure The Drawing And Recreate It In Coral Draw Formate And Then Export It To Lazer Machine For The Cutting.all This Ex Takes Us A Week To Make One Plane.i Wll Link You One Of The Pdf Plans And The Photo Pls Have A Look .

You already have Corel Draw. You can directly import the PDF. Did you try steps ins this link : Importing Adobe® Illustrator®(AI) and Portable Document Format - CorelDRAW Graphics Suite ?

If that does not work, try this converter : OverCAD PDF TO DWG 1.3 Free Download Convert PDF to DWG. Import PDF into AutoCAD directly. Support PDF line,rectangle,ellipse,round rectangle,line segments,bezier segm 19564

Most Viewed