Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:11   #376
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,412
Thanked: 1,033 Times
Default

Just watch this video. Google Maps Navigation (BETA)
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:17   #377
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I wonder how much the impact of the 'to be released' Andriod based software (open source) have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Android will give free turn by turn google maps on your phone. So its bound to hit the mobile phone GPS market.
This is too expensive at the moment.

Data charges are high, specially while roaming. And since this solution depends on continuous connectivity, it would jack up data charges.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:30   #378
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,850
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default

It won't take long for an application to pre-cache maps(like MGMAPS)
Android is just a platform. The possibilities are endless!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:42   #379
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 368
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This is too expensive at the moment.

Data charges are high, specially while roaming. And since this solution depends on continuous connectivity, it would jack up data charges.
But if I am not wrong, BSNL unlimited is only Rs.199/-. Not sure about roaming.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:40   #380
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,412
Thanked: 1,033 Times
Default

Do you ever wanted to get lost' in a City like Bangalore with the help of GPS . Then I recommend you to use sygic/mcguider version 7.70/7.71 and map Sygic India Map Release 2009.03 - Tele Atlas
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:21   #381
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 0
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Do you ever wanted to get lost' in a City like Bangalore with the help of GPS . Then I recommend you to use sygic/mcguider version 7.70/7.71 and map Sygic India Map Release 2009.03 - Tele Atlas
tele atlas has map 'ed city well on roads, but as far as poi's are concerned, very few poi's are there even missing out basic one's like in garmin or mmi or satguide edition.

software is too easy to handle, user friendly for novice and too less on ram.

overall sygic is ok, not that great.. best for first time users.
indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:40   #382
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,583 Times
Default

Guys, i am going to pick up Mio Moov 400 today or tomorrow. Feature to feature, Mio is 50 USD cheaper than Garmin. I also took a look at MioPocket. Looks like a neat app.
Also, does text to speech work in India?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:56   #383
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 0
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Guys, i am going to pick up Mio Moov 400 today or tomorrow. Feature to feature, Mio is 50 USD cheaper than Garmin. I also took a look at MioPocket. Looks like a neat app.
Also, does text to speech work in India?
mio moov M400 has navman gui so india maps won't work with it, u need to unlock using miopocket or any other and load maps on it..

consider buying spirit series, its available for 50 bucks more but worth then mio moov series.. RadioShack - mobile phones, MP3 players, laptops, and more

and TTS is only available with igo8, maps released by mapmyindia.
indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:36   #384
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,412
Thanked: 1,033 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
tele atlas has map 'ed city well on roads, but as far as poi's are concerned, very few poi's are there even missing out basic one's like in garmin or mmi or satguide edition.

software is too easy to handle, user friendly for novice and too less on ram.

overall sygic is ok, not that great.. best for first time users.
I'm not talking about POI's here, I'm talking about roads. Just drive with this on ORR , you will get crazy. And as far as alternate/reroute is concerned the software doesn't have brain at all.

May be they have the roads from old Bangalore time i suppose.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:42   #385
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,583 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
mio moov M400 has navman gui so india maps won't work with it, u need to unlock using miopocket or any other and load maps on it..

consider buying spirit series, its available for 50 bucks more but worth then mio moov series.. RadioShack - mobile phones, MP3 players, laptops, and more

and TTS is only available with igo8, maps released by mapmyindia.
Yeah i read a little about unlocking Mio.
Spirit is kinda out of my budget. But could you give a couple of reasons for why its better than moov? it'll help me decide whether i need to stretch or not
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:49   #386
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
will Mapsource work with Satguide provided maps, which we buy for India?
regardless of provider, maps needs to be converted to Mapsource format to work with Mapsource.

Free tools are available to perform conversion.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:50   #387
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 0
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yeah i read a little about unlocking Mio.
Spirit is kinda out of my budget. But could you give a couple of reasons for why its better than moov? it'll help me decide whether i need to stretch or not
mio spirit has a cleaner interface and a better gui as comapred to moov devices, also battery backup is better and spirit series is advance series with support for tv & poi call in etc.

if you are looking forward to use here in US, it has better maps, 3D Junction views and lane guidance.. apart from hardware..slim & light, software design is better than moov series.

but one thing, which ever PND you buy, make sure it has bluetooth support, comes in handy while driving plus you can access internet or buy a wifi enabled sd card.. costs around 35$
indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 01:03   #388
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,583 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
but one thing, which ever PND you buy, make sure it has bluetooth support, comes in handy while driving plus you can access internet or buy a wifi enabled sd card.. costs around 35$
Thats a neat tip! Thanks mate!

And no i dont intend to use it in US for long. Am here on a verrrry short visit.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 03:20   #389
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,583 Times
Default

Well, the M400 does not have SD slot. Installing MioPocket on it seems like a big pain according to posts on gpspassion.com. And then if the install is successful, apps start freezing right away because of space constraints. Seems very inconvenient. Of course, one can always delete some maps that will never be used, but it doesnt sound right.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 03:39   #390
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 0
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Well, the M400 does not have SD slot. Installing MioPocket on it seems like a big pain according to posts on gpspassion.com. And then if the install is successful, apps start freezing right away because of space constraints. Seems very inconvenient. Of course, one can always delete some maps that will never be used, but it doesnt sound right.
if its without a sd card, then don't buy it in first place.
buy older MIO C520, its much better any time with bluetooth & 128mb ram.

and mio digiwalkers can be easily hacked.
indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata comments on British Work Ethics ! But what of Work-Life balance ? mooza The International Automotive Scene 69 27th March 2013 00:47
VOXTEL launches PND dilipkumar7278 Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 11th January 2008 21:29
Will GPS work in India ? falcon Modifications & Accessories 13 27th September 2006 00:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks