Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th August 2010, 13:27   #511
Senior - BHPian

The advantage most trekking GPS have is Light Weight, Water Proofing and floating capability, low battery usage especially with AA cells. While trekking in remote areas GPRS signal may be absent negating advantage of a phone GPS.

A phone based GPS is excellent where cell phone signal is available, especially if coupled with a GPRS plan. Nokia GPS phones can use both a map and Google Earth to display Google Maps. Invaluable in regions where map details are skimpy.

As discussed previously a Low Cost GPS with minimal functions is an excellent device to take on a trek as it is virtually maintenance free and you do not have to bother about environmental damage to it. I had one which used up two AA cells per day, so a trek of 10 days would require at least 20 cell with a few extra for redundancy! Unlike US there are no maps as yet to help trekkers, so save money on purchase of maps. If enough GPS tracks are available from interested BHPians, I can try and incorporate them in a GPS map. In case it is not feasible, at the very least the tracks will be available for sharing amongst interested trekkers.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 13:28   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You do not need "navigation" for trekking. All you need is to see the track you made on screen so that you do not get lost. My Lowrance ifinder C could have track trails upto 10000 points. Since a point is dumped only when you change direction, you can trek for days. After one track finishes, you start a new track.
you can display multiple tracks on different colors too.
Before I got my mio, this is how I used this to navigate in city.
I used to dump out a route map for where I needed to go from google in kml format.
Then I used to convert it to lowrance format, and load the track. While driving, I made sure I follow the track, simple.

For trekking, it was easier, even if I got lost at some point, all I needed to do was double back on the recorded track.
I understand now. So, all I need is a device which can save route points and co-ordinates. Sounds fair. Does a basic device which can just save the way points and does not have any navigation features, calculate the distance between the points I have saved?

Btw, How much did the iFinder cost you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only thing I hinted was if along with tracking feature, if one can also add barometer and altimeter, it becomes a good all in one product. Else one needs to run around with multiple stuff. Key point is if the price difference is huge, then its not worth it.
Got your point. Even I was of the same opinion. If I can get a barometer, altimeter and a compass at a small price difference, I can go for that. Now, I just have to wait for sometime for some one to come from the US.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 27th August 2010 at 13:30.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 13:43   #513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I understand now. So, all I need is a device which can save route points and co-ordinates. Sounds fair. Does a basic device which can just save the way points and does not have any navigation features, calculate the distance between the points I have saved?

Btw, How much did the iFinder cost you?
Basic handheld units(waterproof ones) are of two types
1. Ultra cheap 110-150$. They do not show the track, just as the crow flies distance and heading to waypoint of your choice
2. LOwrance Ifinder type units - Mine has a barometer too and cost me 230$. It was many years back. right now the latest lowrance costs 200-250$, and equivalent Garmin costs 350$ or so.
I would suggest you get a unit that can show you the exact track. Very important, esp when going on a train in a forest which keeps on diverging here and there.

Quote:
Got your point. Even I was of the same opinion. If I can get a barometer, altimeter and a compass at a small price difference, I can go for that. Now, I just have to wait for sometime for some one to come from the US.
If you are not going to use it for city driving, and are interested only in trekking and off road usage, a Lowrance is the best bet.
If you would like to use it in car, get a garmin.
If I were you, I would buy a lowrance etc., for 220$ or so with barometer and barometric altimeter. My unit also gives accurate storm warnings. While driving, you can ascend lot of altitude in a short time, so weather reports get meaningless, however, on foot its a life saver.
so get a 220$ high end handheld(waterproof upto 3 feet or so), and spend 100$ to buy a generic 4-5" screen PND which you can use in car.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 13:57   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are not going to use it for city driving, and are interested only in trekking and off road usage, a Lowrance is the best bet.
If you would like to use it in car, get a garmin.
If I were you, I would buy a lowrance etc., for 220$ or so with barometer and barometric altimeter. My unit also gives accurate storm warnings. While driving, you can ascend lot of altitude in a short time, so weather reports get meaningless, however, on foot its a life saver.
so get a 220$ high end handheld(waterproof upto 3 feet or so), and spend 100$ to buy a generic 4-5" screen PND which you can use in car.
Thanks tsk. My usage is basically for trekking and off road usage. But, once I get my hands on it, I'd probably start using it on road too (just for the fun of it). Can you suggest any models of Lowrance which I can probably get around & below $200? As it is, I'm way off budget.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 14:08   #515
Team-BHP Support

Magellan and Garmin make excellent GPS systems for trekkers, but they will cost you a lot of money. I got lowrance simply for that purpose.
My line of thinking was - If I ever want a on road GPS, I would buy a 100$ mio or something later, but since I needed one for trekking, I went with lowrance.
Of course, it does not satisfy all my needs as tracks dumped do not have timestamps(for post processing needs), but it does have everything I need on a trek

If you want good gpx capability, with barometer, the enduro series starts around 250$
Expensive, yes, but anything lower will not have any barometer or magnetic compass.

Outback costs 150$ approx, but no barometers
Here is a nice review
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...OPIC_ID=122342

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th August 2010 at 14:11.
Old 27th August 2010, 19:20   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
my Garmin Nuvi 205W (4.3 inch touch screen) bought for the equivalent of Rs 7000 is supported by MapMyIndia maps which cost another 7000 Rs.

in my opinion it is worth while - comes to much the same thing if one buys a new MapMyIndia navigator in India - 3.5 inch touchscreen - Rs 7-8K + Europe Maps 3000 + US Maps another 3000 odd. -total 13-14K.

shankar, the one which I bought is motorcycle friendly, great battery backup and waterproof.. the similar one in MMI cost like 20k and I got the garmin unit with a RAM mount for 12k!
razorBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 12:17   #517
Senior - BHPian

thats nice! the waterproof ones are superb even for trekking and other outdoor work including bicycling but they are a trifle small-ish if one is using it predominantly mounted in the car.
I also found the garmin a good deal - got it from argos including carry case for 99 pounds pre-loaded with UK, Ireland, Republic of Ireland and some Europe maps. That day the exchange rate was 70 Rs so effective price was only 7000/- - hence spying this to be a good deal I picked it up.
and on my recent driving holiday across Ireland/UK I found this device to be an invaluable aid indeed! No regrets at all! I am using it in India now but there are limitations given the haphazard road naming, one ways and incorrect listings of some landmarks etc. despite the MapMyIndia INdia maps which I bought having been apparently updated upto June 2010, I find several glaring issues. largely on account of the constant changes in One Way streets and Road works, flyovers, underpasses etc etc.
But as we progress it is worth continually upgrading the maps so that they are relevant to our use in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
shankar, the one which I bought is motorcycle friendly, great battery backup and waterproof.. the similar one in MMI cost like 20k and I got the garmin unit with a RAM mount for 12k!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 23:42   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much would a eTrex HCx cost? I'm not able to find it on eBay.
Quote:
I guess I have to forego the navigation part then. How would be the prices for the eTrex in Singapore. I have a friend who is going there next month and I can ask him to get one if it is cheaper.

Which model of the eTrex would you recommend? My main needs are to record my tracks and preferably, it should have an altimeter. But, I know my budget does not permit me to ask for more features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Garmin says e-Trex is a discontinued product.

There is a new version that is available. Dont look at pricing.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8707
eTrex is the family name for a series of trekking friendly models from Garmin.

Would suggest between eTrex Legend HCx (approx USD 180) and eTrex Vista HCx (approx USD 230). You are getting a proper GPSr, not just a datalogger. Prices are from Amazon.

Both will give you altitude, but the Legend calculates it from the GPS signals, the Vista from an inbuilt barometer. The altitude calculated from the GPS signal has a lot of error.

Am sure other manufacturers (Magellan, Lowrance) have competing products at similar (or slightly lower) price points. I have a Vista HCx, and am happy with it.

Think US would be cheaper than Singapore. For best places in Singapore, you can ask the MalSingMaps or MalFreeMaps communities.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 00:50   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
thats nice! the waterproof ones are superb even for trekking and other outdoor work including bicycling but they are a trifle small-ish if one is using it predominantly mounted in the car.
I also found the garmin a good deal - got it from argos including carry case for 99 pounds pre-loaded with UK, Ireland, Republic of Ireland and some Europe maps. That day the exchange rate was 70 Rs so effective price was only 7000/- - hence spying this to be a good deal I picked it up.
and on my recent driving holiday across Ireland/UK I found this device to be an invaluable aid indeed! No regrets at all! I am using it in India now but there are limitations given the haphazard road naming, one ways and incorrect listings of some landmarks etc. despite the MapMyIndia INdia maps which I bought having been apparently updated upto June 2010, I find several glaring issues. largely on account of the constant changes in One Way streets and Road works, flyovers, underpasses etc etc.
But as we progress it is worth continually upgrading the maps so that they are relevant to our use in our country.
that's a sweet deal man.

just bought satnav maps and they are selling it for 999 including shipping! its a steal when compared to the others, so went ahead and bought it!
hope its good!
Old 31st August 2010, 09:15   #520
Senior - BHPian

actually even the MMI Maps which are loaded in my Garmin now are pretty good. One needs to invest a bit of time to load one's favourites in as landmarks and then navigation is almost like auto pilot.
there will always be issues in a developing country because mapping a place where there is immense on going development is always going to be a challenge. But one thing, it is much easier to have a Sat Nav than none at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
that's a sweet deal man.

just bought satnav maps and they are selling it for 999 including shipping! its a steal when compared to the others, so went ahead and bought it!
hope its good!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 01:38   #521
BHPian

bought satguide and it rocks! worth the money spent!
Old 4th September 2010, 10:08   #522
Team-BHP Support

Lowrance iFinder seems to have been discontinued. They have the Endura series. The basic model (Out and Back) starts at 185$ (Per Amazon).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 10:23   #523
Senior - BHPian

I have ordered GPS receiver from DealExtreme and received same. Here is the product link DealExtreme: $84.90 Stylish 5.0" LCD 533MHz Win CE 6.0 GPS Navigator w/FM Transmitter + 2GB Maps TF. Although, I have not researched more about various available devices, but at the end it looks fine. At least, I hope it will perform basic navigation.

It has Route66 software preinstalled with US-Canada Map (1.7 GB). Map format is PRM format (USCanada.prm). Now, I want to load India Map in this receiver. SatNav map is available for Rs. 990/- but I am yet to order it as I am not sure whether it will provide PRM map format or not.

1. Do you have any information that Route66 for WinCE is compatible with SatNav map?

2. Do SatNav map provides PRM format map?

3. Do you recommend me to change Navigation Software to something else and then install SatNav map?

Please help me answering above queries. Thanks in advance.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 11:10   #524
Team-BHP Support

Hi Anuj,
On the main screen of your GPS, there is a settings section.
Under settings go to Nav Path.
It will currently be pointed to "Route 66" software.
You can copy any mapping software of your choice to SD card, for example, Satguide Destinator or Mapmyindia MMI.
Then just change the nav path to that software.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:49   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will currently be pointed to "Route 66" software.
You can copy any mapping software of your choice to SD card...
Thanks Tanveer for information. Do SatGuide provide Destinator also along with India Map? Do I need to purchase Destinator separately?

I called up SatGuide and they asked me device certification . I do not know from where I get device certification for them to evaluate their destinator software will work or not?

PS & OT: I am gearing all this for my Safari, schedule for delivery on 22nd Sep. Planning some trip to Nagpur (want to avoid cities inbetween specially Hyderabad by taking byepass).

Last edited by anujmishra : 13th September 2010 at 11:54.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote