Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th September 2010, 11:31   #541
Team-BHP Support

Garmin mobile XT is not free software. If you buy garmin maps, you will need to separately purchase garmin mobile XT
I think MMI/satguide garmin maps just have map license key and not garmin mobile XT license key.

However you can get satguide destinator on SD card
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 15:02   #542
Senior - BHPian

yes I was told that MMI has a Garmin Map License and that is an expensive thing by itself, which is probably why their prices for Garmin compatible maps are so high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Garmin mobile XT is not free software. If you buy garmin maps, you will need to separately purchase garmin mobile XT
I think MMI/satguide garmin maps just have map license key and not garmin mobile XT license key.

However you can get satguide destinator on SD card
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 21:30   #543
Senior - BHPian

Default Bought Satguide

Bought Satguide Map and waiting for their activation key. I feel they will send it by tomorrow.

I found that free applications are not upto the mark for India. I tried 2 - 3 applications and it worked but paid option for GPS evolving country is always good.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 11:51   #544
BHPian

Hi

Can anybody help me with Satguide maps
Im currently running Miopocket 4 on my Mio C310 via SD card.

Im planning to buy satguide maps(e.g Satguide destinator ) but the call centre representative told me that they will be sending me the SD card with pre installed maps for garmin device.
Which application i need to install to be able to run Satguide maps ?

Last edited by maverick555 : 4th October 2010 at 11:54. Reason: Removed HTML tags
maverick555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:01   #545
Team-BHP Support

I remember reading on this thread that some people have bought satguide destinator maps.
It has destinator software with India maps.
You need to buy those.
Old 4th October 2010, 13:12   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember reading on this thread that some people have bought satguide destinator maps.
It has destinator software with India maps.
You need to buy those.
I bought Satguide maps for DX device and it is working as expected. Even my neighbor impressed with the device and he ordered same and bought Satguide Maps for him.

As per cost of map functionalities are OK. I am already using device for navigation in Bangalore.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 13:49   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
call centre representative told me that they will be sending me the SD card with pre installed maps for garmin device.
Which application i need to install to be able to run Satguide maps ?
You need to ask for "Satguide for Windows Phones". That package is different from Garmin (Cost is same for both).

Keep in mind that you have to tweak the software to work with Mio.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 13:59   #548
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of tweaks, for satguide destinator, there is a file called GPSMC.ini or something in the SD card destinator folder.
That file contains the COM Port and GPS Baud rate. So you need to set it to the values for your device.
A good way to find those values is to see the values in config file of IGO which comes with the device.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:55   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I understand now. So, all I need is a device which can save route points and co-ordinates. Sounds fair. Does a basic device which can just save the way points and does not have any navigation features, calculate the distance between the points I have saved?

Btw, How much did the iFinder cost you?

Got your point. Even I was of the same opinion. If I can get a barometer, altimeter and a compass at a small price difference, I can go for that. Now, I just have to wait for sometime for some one to come from the US.
Guys, thank you very much for your inputs. I just received a new Garmin eTrex Vista H Handheld GPS from my aunt a couple of days back. She got it from the US and it cost around 7k. This device has an Altimeter and electronic compass as well.

I am yet to come to terms with the device and I have been experimenting by logging tracks from home to office and vice versa along different routes.

Now I want to transfer these tracklogs to my computer and sync them with google earth. But, my computer does not detect the device. Do we need to get drivers for this? I thought Windows Vista need not have external drivers. Some help on this please.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 14:12   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Now I want to transfer these tracklogs to my computer and sync them with google earth. But, my computer does not detect the device. Do we need to get drivers for this? I thought Windows Vista need not have external drivers. Some help on this please.
EasyGPS should be of help here, see Free GPS software for your Garmin eTrex H
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 18:27   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
EasyGPS should be of help here, see Free GPS software for your Garmin eTrex H
Thanks Kousik. But, won't this external software void the warranty of the device?
Old 20th October 2010, 20:42   #552
Senior - BHPian

This software is installed on the PC and would not impact warranty of GPS. You can download tracks/waypoints from GPS to PC once GPS is connected to PC.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 06:33   #553
BHPian

@addy EasyGPS just talks to your gps as usb device so no worries. I use google map to create routes, convert to gpx, then use easygps to send it to my forerunner watch.
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 11:50   #554
Team-BHP Support

Software in installed on your PC to read the trails. If your unit has SD card, you can copy the GPX file into the computer via SD Card, and then open them.
If you want to use google earth directly, you need to purchase pro version for $20
Old 21st October 2010, 12:02   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This software is installed on the PC and would not impact warranty of GPS. You can download tracks/waypoints from GPS to PC once GPS is connected to PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
@addy EasyGPS just talks to your gps as usb device so no worries. I use google map to create routes, convert to gpx, then use easygps to send it to my forerunner watch.
Quote:
Software in installed on your PC to read the trails. If your unit has SD card, you can copy the GPX file into the computer via SD Card, and then open them.
If you want to use google earth directly, you need to purchase pro version for $20
Thank you guys. I will try this now.

I even searched the Garmin website for USB drivers. In fact, the user manual says that I have to connect my device to the computer and then download drivers from the Garmin website. But, in the Garmin website, I don't find any software for this particular model (eTrex Vista H). There is software for Vista and Vista HCx, but not for Vista H. Garmin also warns that the software is intended for the particular model only and should not use it on other models. Has anybody downloaded the software for your Garmin devices from the Garmin website? I also wanted to know whether it would be installed on the device or on the PC?