Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 09:02   #586
BHPian
 
vu2pmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 93
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

it cost approx 7k off the shelf. I use MMI 6.1 at this point in time. But I also compare it with City nav 2011.2 which is the latest and Satguide feb 2011 release. Among all these, I vouch for Mapmyindia. They have for garmin.

visit Maps For Garmin Devices By MapmyIndia | GPS Navigator.

alternatively google "mapmyindia version 6.0" and u will find a new links.

Cheers.
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 18:52   #587
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

I want to buy a PND. I have shortlisted two options:-
1) GPS Navigation India | Personal Navigation Device(PND) | Turn by Turn Navigation
Costs 6,500/- and comes with satguide maps. Also, this is a win CE 5 unit, so I believe I can add MMI maps on it.
2) get a garmin Nuvi 255W from US :-
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BC...8425434&sr=8-1
Costs 109$ + 5 $ shipping (approx 5300/-)
Guys please suggest which one should I buy ?
sam_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 20:11   #588
BHPian
 
AvinashV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 158
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
it cost approx 7k off the shelf
visit Maps For Garmin Devices By MapmyIndia | GPS Navigator.

alternatively google "mapmyindia version 6.0" and u will find a new links.

Cheers.
So if putting mapmyindia on a gps costs 7k then i guess it's not worth buying a GPS (Garmin) from UK Amazon (as you say mapmyindia has the best maps), cause along with the cost of the map it's going to be almost the same right. Was planning to get a gps from here when i was coming or at least a TomTom & try & get the map froms them there as they are launching in India. Please advise.
AvinashV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 12:27   #589
BHPian
 
vu2pmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 93
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

I would suggest you must pick up a garmin Nuvi with the following features.
1. ability to add routes.
2. Blue tooth feature
3. speak street names.

reach India and give me a buzz, will help you with maps.
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 17:01   #590
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 193
Thanked: 29 Times
Arrow Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

Gone through thread. Looking for latest options.


I have purchased

7.0" Touch Screen WinCE 6.0 GPS Navigator w/ Rearview Camera/Bluetooth/AV-In/4GB Maps TF Card - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Already received it.

However , need to finalise on which navigation software to install with India Map.

Please help me out here with options

Free
Paid

and also process to install :-).


Device allows me to go to Windows CE...
idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:24   #591
BHPian
 
vu2pmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 93
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Gone through thread. Looking for latest options.


I have purchased

7.0" Touch Screen WinCE 6.0 GPS Navigator w/ Rearview Camera/Bluetooth/AV-In/4GB Maps TF Card - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Already received it.

However , need to finalise on which navigation software to install with India Map.

Please help me out here with options





Free
Paid

and also process to install :-).


Device allows me to go to Windows CE...
Hi,
I am not sure what format maps this system would accept. I would be eager to hear if you have finally managed to get a map working and if yes, which format map did you use. Apologies for not being able to help..
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:39   #592
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post


Device allows me to go to Windows CE...
Standard Satgude(Destinator), or MMI (Map my india Mireo) softwares for their PNDs work just fine.
Just ask them for the SD card for PNDs.
In your device settings, there will be an option for "startup GPS navigation program or something).
When you insert SD Card, browse to it using device file manager, and and find the exe.

Suppose Satguide gave you an SD CARD with directory

Destinator8/destinator.exe

So in your device you will put


\sdcard\Destinator8\destinator.exe
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 00:44   #593
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Gone through thread. Looking for latest options.


I have purchased

7.0" Touch Screen WinCE 6.0 GPS Navigator w/ Rearview Camera/Bluetooth/AV-In/4GB Maps TF Card - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Already received it.

However , need to finalise on which navigation software to install with India Map.

Please help me out here with options

Free
Paid

and also process to install :-).


Device allows me to go to Windows CE...
Replying 18 months later may not help you, but might be of help to some other fellpw BHP-ians and hence posting what I stumbled upon. Looking for a suitable GPS software + India map for my WinCE 6.0 device (Car specific ICE unit for Honca Civic from a Chinese supplier), I came across a free GPS software from mapfactor which works on Opensource Maps. I downloaded and installed on teh device without any issues. This can be downloaded from http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/

1)You have to download the setup installer first & install on your PC.
2)Once installed, run the setup software, whch gives you download options.
3)Download & install the GPS software directly to a SD card.
4) Download & install the map (select from Asia / India) (114MB)
5) Insert the SD card in your Windows CE based PND & in setup, point the exe to the one in SD card.

The usage so far has been with mixed results - While the map itself seems to be comprehensive for Bangalore (where I tried) with most small roads named & fair amount of POIs, the find & navigate option does not list many major road names. Eg: Search for Outer Ring Road or Cubbon Road returns no result, even though those roads are named on the map. The GUI & setup is not as inttive as the Garmins, but after 30 minutes of fiddling, you will get used to it. Linited voice options (one Windows synthesied & another one named "Lotta") in English. Few skin customizations / map color schemes (day & night), font sizes etc are available.

As for routing accuracy, my one hour of drive around Bangalore was pretty accurate. If only they could fix the listing of street names on the find & navigate option ... Well, I guess you can't have it all for FREE.
Suresh Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 12:28   #594
BHPian
 
vu2pmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 93
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

Mapmyindia maps can be loaded on windows CE. A bit of editing required in ini file. As aganist the device, you need to generate a code for the SD card. Not too difficult.

Works very well for most of Win CE navigators


Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Nair View Post
Replying 18 months later may not help you, but might be of help to some other fellpw BHP-ians and hence posting what I stumbled upon. Looking for a suitable GPS software + India map for my WinCE 6.0 device (Car specific ICE unit for Honca Civic from a Chinese supplier), I came across a free GPS software from mapfactor which works on Opensource Maps. I downloaded and installed on teh device without any issues. This can be downloaded from http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/

1)You have to download the setup installer first & install on your PC.
2)Once installed, run the setup software, whch gives you download options.
3)Download & install the GPS software directly to a SD card.
4) Download & install the map (select from Asia / India) (114MB)
5) Insert the SD card in your Windows CE based PND & in setup, point the exe to the one in SD card.

The usage so far has been with mixed results - While the map itself seems to be comprehensive for Bangalore (where I tried) with most small roads named & fair amount of POIs, the find & navigate option does not list many major road names. Eg: Search for Outer Ring Road or Cubbon Road returns no result, even though those roads are named on the map. The GUI & setup is not as inttive as the Garmins, but after 30 minutes of fiddling, you will get used to it. Linited voice options (one Windows synthesied & another one named "Lotta") in English. Few skin customizations / map color schemes (day & night), font sizes etc are available.

As for routing accuracy, my one hour of drive around Bangalore was pretty accurate. If only they could fix the listing of street names on the find & navigate option ... Well, I guess you can't have it all for FREE.
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 22:09   #595
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Mapmyindia maps can be loaded on windows CE. A bit of editing required in ini file. As aganist the device, you need to generate a code for the SD card. Not too difficult.

Works very well for most of Win CE navigators
Do these MapmyIndia maps ome ith navigation softare, or they need to be integrated to anoyher softare like SatNav / Satguide / Sygic? Where do I buy these maps from?

An update on the NaFree from mapfactor I am testing - my biggest gripe yesterday was that I am unable to find many major roads on the "Find & navigate" option, even though those roads exist in the map - I realized the openstreet map which this software use lists streets against administrative areas rather than cities - For example, If I search for Outer Ring Road in Bangalore, I am unable to find it. But id I selecr Marathahalli or Banaswadi as the region and then search for Outer Rng road, i am able to find it. Bottom line - You have to specify the locality / place within the city to get full results.

I also downloaded a Beta version where they are trying to overcome this limitation - If the searched road is not available within the City, there is an option to expand your search within a 5 / 10 / 20 KM radius so the roads can be found even if you don't know the locality within the city.
Suresh Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 09:43   #596
BHPian
 
vu2pmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 93
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

Mapmyindia comes as a zip file, when decompressed shall give you a exe file. Running that file shall install a s/w on your computer and once u run that software, you can install your map on a device or a SD card.

In the case of Win CE, you must install the s/w on the SD card, with a slight change in the ini settings.

Once that is done, insert the card in the win CE device and run the s/w that is available on the SD card. ( normally on the card, you will have the app for sygic, for windows and for blackberry). Choose the appropriate one and complete the installation. It would be job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Nair View Post
Do these MapmyIndia maps come ith navigation softare, or they need to be integrated to anoyher softare like SatNav / Satguide / Sygic? Where do I buy these maps from?

An update on the NaFree from mapfactor I am testing - my biggest gripe yesterday was that I am unable to find many major roads on the "Find & navigate" option, even though those roads exist in the map - I realized the openstreet map which this software use lists streets against administrative areas rather than cities - For example, If I search for Outer Ring Road in Bangalore, I am unable to find it. But id I selecr Marathahalli or Banaswadi as the region and then search for Outer Rng road, i am able to find it. Bottom line - You have to specify the locality / place within the city to get full results.

I also downloaded a Beta version where they are trying to overcome this limitation - If the searched road is not available within the City, there is an option to expand your search within a 5 / 10 / 20 KM radius so the roads can be found even if you don't know the locality within the city.
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 13:06   #597
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 190
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

Wanted to share my experience:

I've been pretty impressed with mapmyindia. When I brought my Garmin GPS device from the US when relocating, I was doubtful whether it will work (though I had read on the internet that maps are available for India, just need to load them, etc, I was still very skeptical). I ordered the maps for my Garmin device from mapmyindia. It cost me Rs 5K in early 2012 (a bit steep, about the price I paid for the device itself in equiv INR). But it works like a charm, and well worth it I now feel.

The only downside (and a big downside at that) but one that has a workaround which I'll describe shortly, is that locations in India dont have a systematic street address that you can easily search on the GPS itself.

Workaround: Use latitude/longitude coordinates. Locate the addr, perhaps at home or even midroute on your smartphone in an app that shows coordinates. I've done both. I use the Wikiplaces app on iOS. Even more options to find coordinates on your PC at home (Google Maps itself). I suspect Google Maps on Android may show coordinates too (it doesnt on iOS). Then I just enter the coordinates into my GPS and keep saving it to my "favorites list" as time goes along, so I can pull it up in future without the same rigmarole.

This way, I have used my GPS successfully many times, stepping out totally unprepared from home. I relied on it completely to go to a wedding hall in Chennai. Took it to Mahabalipuram all the way to the hotel, and back to Bangalore. Took it many times in Bangalore to various locations that I was unfamiliar with.

This, in conjunction with a cup-holder mounted GPS holder (I didnt want a dash-mounted holder, for fear of inviting theft/vandalism), works like a charm. The specific mount I used was http://www.amazon.com/Bracketron-UCH...pr_product_top
vharihar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 14:11   #598
BHPian
 
vu2pmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 93
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?

Hi,

I loved MMI map data for Garmin, though, I must confess, albeit regretfully, that they have stopped updating map data on Garmin Format.

Mapmyindia Sygic maps, do address search for a large number of cities. ( works perfect on my android)

If I can suggest a workaround, it would be to put all POIs you need on google maps, and then save it to my maps. Use http://www.takitwithme.com/ to convert your mymaps POI into gpx. Download them into your garmin and it gets listed on your Waypoints.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Wanted to share my experience:

I've been pretty impressed with mapmyindia. When I brought my Garmin GPS device from the US when relocating, I was doubtful whether it will work (though I had read on the internet that maps are available for India, just need to load them, etc, I was still very skeptical). I ordered the maps for my Garmin device from mapmyindia. It cost me Rs 5K in early 2012 (a bit steep, about the price I paid for the device itself in equiv INR). But it works like a charm, and well worth it I now feel.

The only downside (and a big downside at that) but one that has a workaround which I'll describe shortly, is that locations in India dont have a systematic street address that you can easily search on the GPS itself.

Workaround: Use latitude/longitude coordinates. Locate the addr, perhaps at home or even midroute on your smartphone in an app that shows coordinates. I've done both. I use the Wikiplaces app on iOS. Even more options to find coordinates on your PC at home (Google Maps itself). I suspect Google Maps on Android may show coordinates too (it doesnt on iOS). Then I just enter the coordinates into my GPS and keep saving it to my "favorites list" as time goes along, so I can pull it up in future without the same rigmarole.

This way, I have used my GPS successfully many times, stepping out totally unprepared from home. I relied on it completely to go to a wedding hall in Chennai. Took it to Mahabalipuram all the way to the hotel, and back to Bangalore. Took it many times in Bangalore to various locations that I was unfamiliar with.

This, in conjunction with a cup-holder mounted GPS holder (I didnt want a dash-mounted holder, for fear of inviting theft/vandalism), works like a charm. The specific mount I used was http://www.amazon.com/Bracketron-UCH...pr_product_top
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata comments on British Work Ethics ! But what of Work-Life balance ? mooza The International Automotive Scene 69 27th March 2013 00:47
VOXTEL launches PND dilipkumar7278 Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 11th January 2008 21:29
Will GPS work in India ? falcon Modifications & Accessories 13 27th September 2006 00:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks