Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th September 2009, 00:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Hello Zappo

Which model we are talking here... which has wide screen...? so that i can check with local dealer (AERIAL SERVICES PVT. LTD. - Garmin Products - Automobile)

Thanks,
Tushar
Since he mentioned 'approx', I'd assume he got the device from abroad
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 01:06   #62
Team-BHP Support

Correct. In fact I mentioned in that post that I got the device from US. In fact this thread is about "Will a GPS PND bought from USA work in India".

To answer you Tushargohil, any Nuvi device which has a 'w' at the end is a widescreen device. So a Nuvi 205 will be a regular sized one whereas Nuvi 205w will have a widescreen. Mine is a 205w. For 7300 I could have had the 255w. I opted for the former as the only difference was that the 255w could read out the road names in the map (TTS). In the Indian context that leads to some funny contexts. At the very least the pronunciation of the names, particularly the southern variety (pulivendalu, polavaram etc), sounds so exotic and often so wrong that you can not even make out what the voice is saying.

And here is a funny context. My friend got a 255w. He works for Ca (formerly Computer Associates, the makers of eTrust and Unicenter). The first day he installs the device and drives to office. He had set the coordinates and marked his office in the map as Ca. He also has 3 colleagues that day in the car who decided to troop in. They are going ooh and aah with all those exotic pronunciations as the car wades its way through the Hyderabad roads. Finally the car enters the office and on the left is the car park. As the car enters its parking slot the device signs off with "Welcome to California" in the best of american accent. People, all of them in the car, were like "Whaaaaaattttttt?"... Till my friend figured out the hitch. Needless to say the next thing he did was to remove that favorite as Ca and restored it as Office. haa haa haaaa

Last edited by Zappo : 4th September 2009 at 01:13.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 10:57   #63
BHPian

I got you Zappo :-) Thanks for clarification for Nuvi Series.

CA part is really funny :-) without B1/B2 visiting CA heheh..

Guys, I am still not able to take a call that should i got with somehting like this " 5.0" LCD 372MHz CPU Windows CE 5.0 Bluetooth + GPS Navigator w/FM Transmitter + 2GB Maps SD" on Dealextreme or Nüvi 200W

Thanks,
Tushar
Tushargohil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 12:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Mapmyindia has started selling maps for Garmin but its price is ridiculous (7k). It is actually cheaper to buy Mapmyindia's license for cell and run it on your PND.
MapmyIndia's cell maps don't cover 400+ cities yet. Atleast not the ones for iNav WF. I have this stuff, and I enquired about it a few weeks back...
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 12:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about iNav WF.

This (400 cities, 7k) is a different map. This is for Garmin PND devices.

It just happens to run on mobile as well (with Garmin's software I.e. Garmin Mobile XT). This software is available for:

1. Symbian
2. Windows mobile
3. Windows (XP, Vista)
4. Symbian
5. Blackberry

Retail price is USD 100.

Most US stores have lower prices for it, usually available for $50 - $70.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 17:05   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
MapmyIndia's cell maps don't cover 400+ cities yet. Atleast not the ones for iNav WF. I have this stuff, and I enquired about it a few weeks back...
actually it does.. the have updated to latest 401 cities map for windows mobile..
symbian is still with old 174 cities.
indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 20:00   #67
BHPian

Default Electronics - GPS Gadgets SKU 23569

Quote:
I got you Zappo :-) Thanks for clarification for Nuvi Series.

CA part is really funny :-) without B1/B2 visiting CA heheh..

Guys, I am still not able to take a call that should i got with something like this " 5.0" LCD 372MHz CPU Windows CE 5.0 Blue tooth + GPS Navigator w/FM Transmitter + 2GB Maps SD" on Dealextreme or Nüvi 200W

Thanks,
Tushar
GURU,

As My BB 8700 don't have built in GPS and don't want to go for BT receiver,

Want to place order for DealExtreme: $103.76 5.0" LCD 372MHz CPU Windows CE 5.0 Bluetooth + GPS Navigator w/FM Transmitter + 2GB Maps SD can someone please confirm do we have any option to get I-GO maps for india... or we can use some other maps too, any suggest would be great help..

Thanks,
Tushar Gohil
Old 6th September 2009, 22:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

Tushar Gohil,

Google ipmart forums then do a search for India, you will find enough to keep you going for a while.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 09:20   #69
BHPian

Default Thank You.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Tushar Gohil,

Google ipmart forums then do a search for India, you will find enough to keep you going for a while.
Appreciated .... for your help.. (ipmart) i have placed order for this PND DealExtreme: $103.76 5.0" LCD 372MHz CPU Windows CE 5.0 Bluetooth + GPS Navigator w/FM Transmitter + 2GB Maps SD let see hows things goes or i have to use this for (blue-tooth hands free, music, video) if its works.

Thanks,
Tushar Gohil
Old 7th September 2009, 09:40   #70
BHPian

Default PocketPC (WinCE) GPS and Navigation Software

Quote:
Appreciated .... for your help.. (ipmart) i have placed order for this PND DealExtreme: $103.76 5.0" LCD 372MHz CPU Windows CE 5.0 Bluetooth + GPS Navigator w/FM Transmitter + 2GB Maps SD let see hows things goes or i have to use this for (blue-tooth hands free, music, video) if its works.

Thanks,
Tushar Gohil
While net surfing found this URL thought to share with you guys.

PocketPC GPS and Navigation

Thanks,
Tushar Gohil
Old 9th September 2009, 13:59   #71
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Tushar Gohil
Hey, That's nice, I plan to buy the same one too, What maps do you plan to use it with? You're supposed to buy SD cards from map providers right?

Please let me know when you receive the product.
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 15:56   #72
BHPian

Default Sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Hey, That's nice, I plan to buy the same one too, What maps do you plan to use it with? You're supposed to buy SD cards from map providers right?

Please let me know when you receive the product.
Sure.. i will get back to you as soon as i get the product, (will take around 15 days from now). regarding SD card i will get along with device, for maps i am planning to install multiple apps. will get back to you once i get the device.

Thanks,
Tushar
Old 9th September 2009, 17:46   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Sure.. i will get back to you as soon as i get the product, (will take around 15 days from now). regarding SD card i will get along with device, for maps i am planning to install multiple apps. will get back to you once i get the device.

Thanks,
Tushar
Which model and how much you are paying? Will there be customs duty? Asking since I am also planning to buy one. I think Indian maps you will have to buy in a card.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 17:59   #74
BHPian

Hello Janitha,

Please find below URL for model details, regarding customs duty i have to check once i will get it. MAP i have to play around for it.. found few but want to test hows its goes on WIN CE 5.0

DealExtreme: $103.76 5.0" LCD 372MHz CPU Windows CE 5.0 Bluetooth + GPS Navigator w/FM Transmitter + 2GB Maps SD

"Because DX sends products from Hong Kong (a free port), there is no sales tax or duties imposed by the Hong Kong government. Customers do not have to pay any sales tax or export duties when they purchase from DX.

Statistically, well less than 1% percentage of all DX orders have ever got opened by the Customs in customers' countries. If the package is checked by their country's customs office when the item arrives in their country, however, customers are responsible for import duties, tariffs, and taxes.

Although the chance of packages being Customs assessed is small, DX strongly encourages all customers to check with their local Customs office for any potential import taxes, duties, and tariffs. In addition, some products may require special licenses or permits to import (such as high powered lasers). DX is not responsible for products being confiscated by the Customs in customers' countries. "

Thanks,
Tushar
Old 9th September 2009, 19:49   #75
BHPian

Expert opinions requested regarding "MapmyIndia Navigator A-MAX 06GP5A" which is offered for Rs.10990/- including map. MapmyIndia Navigator - India's choice in In-car GPS navigation
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote