Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 18:09   #3466
Ram
Senior - BHPian
 
Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore, Mumbai, Nagpur
Posts: 2,164
Thanked: 139 Times
Default N82 zindabad

There goes another N82 devotee! Name:  41.gif
Views: 300
Size:  1.3 KB
Isn't the N82 indeed the smartest smartphone, in the marketplace as of July 2008?

The iPhone v.2 has a tough competitor to comprehend, even just to keep Apple from falling off the dais.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:39   #3467
Senior - BHPian
 
Fountainheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Yeah. Even I think that the N82 is the best candy bar phone available in India. A great combination of some real smart features and design. Took me a while to get used to the extremely small keys. But these are some things you can ignore!

Also can anyone tell me the regular GPRS charges when you use GPS on the N82 ? I've a WLAN at my place, but I guess GPS cannot connect through WLAN.
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:50   #3468
aZa
Senior - BHPian
 
aZa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Noida / Delhi
Posts: 1,595
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Psiloc CONNECT, try this software out guys its just awesome. It basically handles all the connection behind the scene. It will automatically chooses Wifi (with strongest signal) over GPRS/EDGE whenever available. All you need to do is choose Psiloc connect as the access point. I've been using this on my n82, its really amazing.

@fountainheader : GPRS usage during GPS being used is very minimal.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 15:21   #3469
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Also can anyone tell me the regular GPRS charges when you use GPS on the N82 ? I've a WLAN at my place, but I guess GPS cannot connect through WLAN.

As has been mentioned, GPS related GPRS charges are minuscule. I traveled in Pune from Bumbai expressway, to Khadki -> Railway Station -> Warje and was using GPS all along.

GPRS cost was something like 8 Rs.

And GPS works fine with WiFi if GSM signal is present. I'll try explaining how it works:

1. GPS software queries which "towers / base stations" cell phone can see and what is the signal strength for each.
2. GPS software sends this data to Nokia's server
3. Server can locate your approximate position with this data. This location is not precise by any means. This location is communicated to GPS s/w.
4. With this data, GPS software or server can calculate which satellites are "most probably" visible from current location.
5. This reduces initial location time from 1 Min to 5 seconds in best case.

Here, data transfer would be minimal.

Only ID of cell towers and approximate location is communicated.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 19:33   #3470
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
@fountainheader : GPRS usage during GPS being used is very minimal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
As has been mentioned, GPS related GPRS charges are minuscule. I traveled in Pune from Bumbai expressway, to Khadki -> Railway Station -> Warje and was using GPS all along.

GPRS cost was something like 8 Rs.
Is this low cost of GPRS during GPS usage still applicable if I use a third party GPS application such as Google Maps etc?

BTW, is there ANY 3rd party free GPS application for Symbian? I have a Nokia E51
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 06:46   #3471
Ram
Senior - BHPian
 
Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore, Mumbai, Nagpur
Posts: 2,164
Thanked: 139 Times
Default GPS on the Nokia N82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Yeah. Even I think that the N82 is the best candy bar phone available in India.
Not just in India. In the world.

Interestingly, I purchased my N82 on 31st Dec 2007 in Chembur, Mumbai. I checked in the stores in Munich, Germany in late January 2008. They hadn't seen that model in Germany yet!!!

An Indian showing the GPS working with maps being downloaded lighting fast over UMTS 3G in Germany, zapped the Germans out of shape. And that on a Nokia mobile which hadn't even been launched in Germany yet.

The Nokia N82 has High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA).
That is a 3G (third generation) mobile telephony comm protocol.
Part of the High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA) family.

I got my Vodafone-Germany cellular network, which is based on UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecom System) with a down-link speed of 3.6 Mbps on my Indian Nokia N82.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Also can anyone tell me the regular GPRS charges when you use GPS on the N82 ? I've a WLAN at my place, but I guess GPS cannot connect through WLAN.
GPS satellite reception is free
The N82 has a built-in GPS satellite radio receiver. Like the N82's FM stereo radio receiver, that functionality is not dependent on the GSM cellular air-interface, and therefore not dependent on any cellular service provider.

So you don't get billed for using GPS, just as you don't get billed for using the camera, MP3 player or FM stereo radio receiver.

Then why do you need an Internet data connection?
The GPS receiver on the N82, receives microwave timing signals from multiple GPS satellites in the sky.

The US Air Force owns these 32 satellites which have been providing navigational information, free of charge, since April 1995.

The N82 then computes latitude/longitude coordinates.

Map software running on the handset, such as Google Maps, MGMaps and Nokia Maps, uses this lat/long coordinate data to choose which map tile images to download from the Internet and display.

This downloading needs an Internet connection, which could be GPRS (2G) or UMTS (3G) or your WiFi (WLAN 802.11B/G).
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 09:36   #3472
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,818
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Not just in India. In the world.

Interestingly, I purchased my N82 on 31st Dec 2007 in Chembur, Mumbai. I checked in the stores in Munich, Germany in late January 2008. They hadn't seen that model in Germany yet!!!

An Indian showing the GPS working with maps being downloaded lighting fast over UMTS 3G in Germany, zapped the Germans out of shape. And that on a Nokia mobile which hadn't even been launched in Germany yet.
Perhaps your friends hadnt, but the phone was launched on Nov 17, 2007 in EUROPE.

Why should Nokia launch an HSDPA phone in India first and not make it available in markets where 3G/HSDPA networks are standard??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
GPS satellite reception is free
The N82 has a built-in GPS satellite radio receiver. Like the N82's FM stereo radio receiver, that functionality is not dependent on the GSM cellular air-interface, and therefore not dependent on any cellular service provider.

So you don't get billed for using GPS, just as you don't get billed for using the camera, MP3 player or FM stereo radio receiver.
Mobilephones/pdas have been doing this for about 4 years now. Nokia is very late onto the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Then why do you need an Internet data connection?
The GPS receiver on the N82, receives microwave timing signals from multiple GPS satellites in the sky.

The N82 then computes latitude/longitude coordinates.
You need an internet data connection because the N82 features an aGPS, as opposed to a GPS. The AGPS or Assisted GPS uses cellular towers to quicken up the FIRST FIX, which is the time taken to attach to GPS satellites. More information can be found here:

GPS vs. aGPS: A Quick Tutorial - WMExperts

The GPS receiver receives low power, high frequency radio waves, not microwaves. Once the first fix is received, the GPS unit in the phone then continues to ascertain its position through the satellites, NOT requiring a data connection. Please note that the AGPS uses cellsite info only for the first fix - thereafter it has its own GPS receiver to track position.

More info can be found here:

HowStuffWorks "How GPS Receivers Work"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Map software running on the handset, such as Google Maps, MGMaps and Nokia Maps, uses this lat/long coordinate data to choose which map tile images to download from the Internet and display.

This downloading needs an Internet connection, which could be GPRS (2G) or UMTS (3G) or your WiFi (WLAN 802.11B/G).
This is a Nokia special - they do not store a navigation application on the handset. Hence you need the data connection to download maps - making cellphone operators (like Vodafone/Airtel/Idea) very happy as you will keep downloading maps as you navigate, driving up data usage.

Typically, most PDA navigation devices have navigation software and maps built into the phone, which means you dont need to wait until the maps are downloaded.

Which is why I'm a bit bemused at the fact that your German friends were zapped by an Indian downloading navigation maps over the web. That part of the world is quite used to using PNAs that do not require maps to be downloaded every time you navigate. I think they were probably amazed that people still download maps on demand.

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th July 2008 at 09:40.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 09:50   #3473
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,280
Thanked: 18,779 Times
Default

Need some help on GPS. I have a HTC touch and as everyone knows it doesn't have GPS on board. If I buy a GPS receiver can I interface that with the phone and use it as a normal GPS navigator?I've seen that with google maps on my HTC there's an option to use a GPS device. Will I need to buy maps? Any idea which GPS receiver is best? I'm in Taiwan now and am seeing lots of small GPS receievers which are not very expensive.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 10:24   #3474
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
If I buy a GPS receiver can I interface that with the phone and use it as a normal GPS navigator?
Yes you can get any Bluetooth GPS receiver and it will work with your phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I've seen that with google maps on my HTC there's an option to use a GPS device. Will I need to buy maps?
If you want to use the official Goole Maps application, you will need to have GPRS or WiFi available at all times. You can use an application like Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone! and you can use various online maps in offline mode. Only thing is that you will have to download the maps to your phone and will need to store it on you storage card. That way, you use your pc's internet and when on the move, you need not need any internet access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Any idea which GPS receiver is best? I'm in Taiwan now and am seeing lots of small GPS receievers which are not very expensive.
If you are getting it from Taiwan, try getting your hands on the Holux BT Receivers. The Holux GPSlim240 has been very popular and very good performance. However, you can buy any BT receiver but try and see if you can get the ones which have the SirfStarIII chipset. I am using one from a company called Altina and I have been very happy. The SirfStarIII is very important. I got my BT Receiver from a company called Chip Silicon (Pune based) for 5500/- in Jan 2007.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 10:28   #3475
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

vid6639, If you have Google Maps, you don't need any other maps. Although you should know that Google Maps are not locally stored and require a GPRS connection.

I use the Holux GPSlim 240 with a Motorola Q8 (with Google Maps)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post720844 (Using a GPS Receiver in the Car)

To answer your question, yes, as long as you have a Bluetooth GPS receiver and your phone has Bluetooth. You could also go the data cable way if you like.

Last edited by hrag : 14th July 2008 at 10:30.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 10:54   #3476
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,280
Thanked: 18,779 Times
Default

Thanks hrag and SumitB. Yup I usually use Google maps only. Haven't tried any other ones. I don't use it very often so wasn't looking at purchasing maps of cities. I'll try and look for the Holux or any other chipset with SirfStarIII. Thanks a bunch once again.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 10:57   #3477
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,818
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I'll try and look for the Holux or any other chipset with SirfStarIII.
Holux is best. Used to cost about Rs.3,500 abroad.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 11:03   #3478
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

If you want to get Holux, then you can contact their Taiwan office and get the address of their retailers!

Contact Holux in Taiwan at:
NCSNavi Technology INC TEL:+886-2-2395-1900 FAX:+886-2-2395-8780 Email: sales@ncsnavi.com Add: 8F, No.158,Sec 1, Sinsheng S. RD.Jhongjheng District Taipei city, Taiwan.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 11:32   #3479
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi,

> I am using one from a company called Altina and I have been very happy.
> The SirfStarIII is very important. I got my BT Receiver from a company called > Chip Silicon (Pune based) for 5500/- in Jan 2007.

I bought a GBT709 BT GPS Receiver in March for Rs 5400 from Pune which has a SirfStar III chipset. Just wanted to see what it can do. A month back I bought an HTC P3400i and the two of them have been entertaining me and my friend in a nearby town with what it can do.

Unfortunately did not have an ideal software in the HTC for my recent Ponmudi trip.

It is fun to learn by trail and error method and we are still learning.

It is amazing how technology can help even lay people like us to do things!

Thanks hrag and rkbharat for kindling my interest in GPS and navigation!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 11:37   #3480
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,867 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
... receives low power, high frequency radio waves, not microwaves ...
The same, actually. This has been industry terminology for the last 40 years, sir.

Chhaa gaye, bandhu - this is the best primer for GPS beginners on TBHP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
... I'll try and look for the Holux or any other chipset with SirfStarIII. Thanks a bunch once again.
Vid, can you get one for me too? COD!
OT: Anyone selling (Atom/Geode-based) mini-ITX motherboards near you?

Last edited by DerAlte : 14th July 2008 at 11:39.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Pictures Thread inder_s1 Shifting gears 13 10th April 2009 21:06
F1-2009...All your Discussions here....! PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 395 4th April 2009 13:58
T-Mobile G1 Android mobile phone introduced yesterday but nobody here seems to care.. srijit Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 7th October 2008 15:57
Decisions... Decisions on choosing a four wheeled friend balashome The Indian Car Scene 47 1st October 2005 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks