Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2008, 17:00   #4141
Senior - BHPian
 
hydrashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my Office
Posts: 2,528
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
... problems using GPS on his Nokia E90 Communicator. The sensitivity is vey low and even when stading outside he get 1 satellite to show up on the scree. The phone is still on its original firmware from 2007.
Will updating the firmware help?
Did anyone else faced the same problem with their E90?...
Yep, in the original FW, the E90 does take forever to get a Sat Lock. Updating the firmware enables A-GPS, so that will help (a bit).

Ask your friend to type *#000# on the phone. This will display the firmware version on the screen. If he bought the phone post Oct 2007, the Firmware will be 7.40.1.2. This FW has A-GPS (Assisted GPS) which enhances satellite lock. It still takes anywhere between 20 and 40secs to get a lock even with A-GPS, though. What I'm coming to is, if his FW is 7.40.1.2, updating will not improve the GPS situation, but it will improve other things. If he has the older firmware (the original FW), updating will help.

The E90 has had two FW updates since 7.40.1.2. The latest came this October or November (2008), if I'm not mistaken. I haven't updated to that one. I'm running the 210.34.75 (12-04-2008) firmware.

Last edited by hydrashok : 27th December 2008 at 17:02.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 17:29   #4142
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,173 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Yep, in the original FW, the E90 does take forever to get a Sat Lock. Updating the firmware enables A-GPS, so that will help (a bit).

Ask your friend to type *#000# on the phone. This will display the firmware version on the screen. If he bought the phone post Oct 2007, the Firmware will be 7.40.1.2. This FW has A-GPS (Assisted GPS) which enhances satellite lock. It still takes anywhere between 20 and 40secs to get a lock even with A-GPS, though. What I'm coming to is, if his FW is 7.40.1.2, updating will not improve the GPS situation, but it will improve other things. If he has the older firmware (the original FW), updating will help.

The E90 has had two FW updates since 7.40.1.2. The latest came this October or November (2008), if I'm not mistaken. I haven't updated to that one. I'm running the 210.34.75 (12-04-2008) firmware.
The problem here is that its not even showing the satellites located. Even under the open skies it shows just one or may be two at a stretch after 3-4 minutes. A-GPS will surely give me a faster lock but even without it the phone should atleast show the satellites located.
The latest firmware is 300.** and was out in october 2008. So you can update your phone with that. Beware though as some people are experiencing significantly lower battery life.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 20:08   #4143
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 449
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Guys,

Just came back home from a PlanetM store nearby . They quoted a price of Rs.19500 for E71 and also offered to take my one year old Nokia 5200 for 2K. I am tempted to go for this deal, what do you suggest?
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 16:09   #4144
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,030
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

Guys, I am very happy using my X1, however I am going to ask you a very stupid question

How do I use the GPS on the phone. It comes with Google Maps pre installed on the phone.

It also has a 6 month free trial of Wayfinder on the installation disk.

Now how do I go about using the GPS, is it chargeable ??

I do not have GPRS activated on the phone as I stay in WiFi zomes most of the time.

Thanks for the help.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 16:25   #4145
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,292
Thanked: 18,813 Times
Default

For google maps you need to be in the Wifi zone. You don't need GPRS just some way to access the internet.

Google maps usually asks if you want to use GPS to determine the location. Pressing my location will probably prompt for GPS.

In turn if you install wayfinder it will automatically use GPS to determine your location.

GPs is completely free and does not need any GPRS access. I think the the X1 uses full GPS and not Assisted or A-GPS. Only for A-GPS do you need a GPRS connection.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 15:32   #4146
Senior - BHPian
 
Fountainheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

HTC Diamond is now available for 22.5 in eZone. A bag and another LG GSM handset free.. good deal for someone who really wants a good camera phone ?
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 17:52   #4147
BHPian
 
praveen_v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 457
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Guys

Any first hand reports on the Nokia 5880 (I think its called Express Tube or something) touchscreen phone? A friend of mine who is a Nokia fanatic wants to buy it as it is priced incredibly low, but wants some feedback on the touchscreen interface.

Havent used it myself, so I am not qualified to comment.
It's called the Nokia 5800 and you can get a nice demo of it if you go to any Nokia Priority dealer in your locality.

I personally tried this phone and felt the touch screen was good. Not great like iphone, but it is good nevertheless.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 10:46   #4148
BHPian
 
binoyb22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 168
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Nokia 5800 on sales

guys,

Nokia 5800 will be on sales from 3rd or 4th of jan.i got a call from nokia dealers yerterday.

Price is 21800.If you pre book it you will get a head set worth 4k and 2 VIP pass for some rock concert at palace grounds.

I tried this phone yesterday and its pretty good
binoyb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 10:58   #4149
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,493
Thanked: 6,771 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
HTC Diamond is now available for 22.5 in eZone. A bag and another LG GSM handset free.. good deal for someone who really wants a good camera phone ?
is it 3G version? ensure that before you put your money down, 2.5 or EDGE version available in India.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:10   #4150
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,819
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Guys, I am very happy using my X1, however I am going to ask you a very stupid question

How do I use the GPS on the phone. It comes with Google Maps pre installed on the phone.

It also has a 6 month free trial of Wayfinder on the installation disk.

Now how do I go about using the GPS, is it chargeable ??

I do not have GPRS activated on the phone as I stay in WiFi zomes most of the time.

Thanks for the help.
X1 is Windows Mobile, right? You can use GPS if you have any GPS application (SatNav in India, Destinator, TomTom, Navigon, Route66 and several other applications abroad). The GPS app will automatically launch your GPS functionality, you dont need to do anything else.

I havent used Google Maps extensively, but AFAIK many of these are not proper GPS but Cell-Site based (at least on the original iPhone). Not sure if it will automatically invoke the built in GPS radio on a proper GPS phone - dont see why it shouldnt. Just make sure you have clear skies above you when you try.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 13:33   #4151
BHPian
 
sinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thane - Mumbai
Posts: 422
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Current prices of E63, As reflected on following websites.

Rs 22,080 - Univer Cell
Rs 17,990 - ebay (India)
Rs 15,660 - ebay (India)
Rs 14,800 - Compare India
Rs 14,258 - Sri-Vasavi
Rs 13,627 - Naaptol

Wonder what i should do.. Wait more ?

I'm hoping Nokia will launch the E63 with the 5800
sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 13:37   #4152
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,603
Thanked: 138 Times
Default

Do check the price at: Buy mobile phones: Mobile phone deals at the cell phone store at IndiaPlaza
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 13:48   #4153
BHPian
 
madhokritesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Thane
Posts: 334
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Read somewhere on Tbhp that a member was selling Iphone 3g unlocked 16gb Brand New ones for 23k, is it a safe buy?
madhokritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 13:52   #4154
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post
Current prices of E63, As reflected on following websites.

Rs 22,080 - Univer Cell
Rs 17,990 - ebay (India)
Rs 15,660 - ebay (India)
Rs 14,800 - Compare India
Rs 14,258 - Sri-Vasavi
Rs 13,627 - Naaptol

Wonder what i should do.. Wait more ?

I'm hoping Nokia will launch the E63 with the 5800
I would trust Compare India and Naaptol most for the realistic prices.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 17:22   #4155
BHPian
 
sinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thane - Mumbai
Posts: 422
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Just got a call from Nokia Priorty. regarding the Nokia 5800.

If you pre-book the phone before 3rd of Jan, then you will get the phone on 5th Jan.
Booking price Rs 2000. Acctual price ( including taxes) Rs 21839. Plus you get a Sennheiser Headphone Free.

Another important thing. the phone will launch offecially only in Feb. But only if you pre-book before 3rd, will you get the phone on 5th.

regarding the E63- price at nokia priorty - 16,549
sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Pictures Thread inder_s1 Shifting gears 13 10th April 2009 21:06
F1-2009...All your Discussions here....! PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 395 4th April 2009 13:58
T-Mobile G1 Android mobile phone introduced yesterday but nobody here seems to care.. srijit Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 7th October 2008 15:57
Decisions... Decisions on choosing a four wheeled friend balashome The Indian Car Scene 47 1st October 2005 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks