Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 3rd July 2009, 13:59   #4951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nokia N97 launched? any users here? N97 Launch form
Just bought one yesterday. Still getting used to the symbain interface after using WIndows mobile for a year.
So far so good. love the massive sceen, makes browsing really enjoyable.
MY only gripe is tha to type numbers using the querty keypad, you have to press the blue fn key before each number. They should have made it a sticky key atleast for when you want to type out longer numbers such as a phone number.

Otherwise build quality seems top notch. Just installing PC suite etc. Next step is to update the firmware.

Suhail
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 20:11   #4952
BHPian

Can somebody share a 10% (1000 off) ebay coupon? i'm trying to order a mobile and my 10% coupon is not working.

thanks
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 21:58   #4953
Team-BHP Support

I dont follow this thread too closely, but i have noticed that there doesnt seem to be any mention of the upcomming Nokia E72.

I have been eyeing the E71 for a while, but there were a few small things i did not like about it.
Especially in a head-to-head comparison with a blackberry (curve/bold) the trackball of the blackberry made web-browsing much easier than the 5-way button of the nokia, which would require press-press-press-press to move the cursor. The E72 fixes this with an optical scroller button (check youtube for videos)

Name:  e72_black_01_lowres1.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  43.8 KB

A few other things on the E72 :
- Optical scroller
- 5MP camera
- A few more keys on the QWERTY
- 3.5mm audio jack (vs 2.5 on the E71)
- Flashlight function
- Larger internal memory
- Support for 16GB cards
- 10.2mbps HSDPA
- etc

cya
R

Picture source - Nokia E72 officially announced – E72 vs. E71 Nokia e71 blog

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd July 2009 at 21:59.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:08   #4954
Senior - BHPian

GUYS ANYONE USING HTC DREAM -

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-dream.jpg

Processor

Qualcomm® MSM7201A™, 528 MHz

Platform

Android™

Memory

ROM:256 MB
RAM:192 MB

Dimensions (LxWxT)

117.7 mm x 55.7 mm x 17.1 mm
(4.60 in x 2.16 in x 0.62 in)

Weight

158 grams (5.60 ounces) with battery

Display

3.2-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with 320 x 480 (HVGA) resolution

NetworkHSPA/WCDMA:
  • 2100 MHz
  • Up to 7.2 Mbps down-link (HSDPA) and 2 Mbps up-link (HSUPA) speeds
Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
  • 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
(Band frequency, HSUPA availability, and data speed are operator dependent

Device Control

Trackball with Enter button

Keyboard

Slide-out 5-row QWERTY keyboard

GPS

GPS navigation capability with Google Maps™

Connectivity

Bluetooth® 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate
Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11b/g[/COLOR][/FONT]
HTC ExtUSB™ (11-pin mini-USB 2.0 and audio jack in one)

Camera

3.2 megapixel color camera with auto focus

Audio

Built-in microphone and speaker

Ring tone formats:
  • AAC, AAC+, AMR-NB, MIDI, MP3, WMA, WMV
  • 40 polyphonic and standard MIDI format 0 and 1 (SMF)/SP MIDI
Battery

Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
Capacity: 1150 mAh

Talk time:
  • Up to 350 minutes for WCDMA
  • Up to 406 minutes for GSM
Standby time:
  • Up to 402 hours for WCDMA
  • Up to 319 hours for GSM
Expansion Slot

microSD™ memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)

Special Features

Digital Compass, Motion Sensor

SOURCE OF THE DETAILS - HTC - Products - HTC Dream - Overview

Planning to go for this handphone, let me know if this is a good one.

Last edited by gowda79 : 3rd July 2009 at 22:18.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 12:34   #4955
BHPian

guye is the iphone 3gs already available?and for what price?
drchernish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 01:26   #4956
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Sony Ericsson is coming out with an Android Phone.

Leaked: Sony Ericsson's Upcoming Android Phone - PC World
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 03:00   #4957
Senior - BHPian

@Gowda, it's the same phone described below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
hey vivek. i suggest you skip g1
thank chevelle, however, i am not a heavy user of phones. here's what I need from the phone.

1. good browser via wi-fi
2. ability to sync my calendars, contacts etc mostly via google/MS outlook.
3. ability to set shortcuts as i need them, especially voice recorder for taking notes.
4. I will use bluetooth to listen to ebooks/radio, not into music at all.

but i love funky gadgets, apps etc. mostly on fun and productivity types. and I like the real keyboard (taken away in google touch).

Do you think g1 is still a bad option? Although now I am reluctant because of termination fees and bending towards nokia 5800 from free market now. my w810i only fails me in delivering audio thru bluetooth (except calls).
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 03:57   #4958
Senior - BHPian

@vivek

alternative to g1 is blackberry bold. it had a2dp, so you will able to hear ebooks/radio via bluetooth.
all your other requirements are also taken care of like good wi-fi, qwerty keyboard, ability to keep shortcuts.

obviously, iphone has among the best browser i have used, but bold has also seen plenty of improvements. Other applications include a Calendar, a task list, a memo pad, a voice recorder, a calculator, a password keeper, and may be more as i haven't explored in greater detail. it has an upgraded intel processor from previous generation, so it should be faster. you may find screen a bit small, but it has excellent quality.

i ain't too sure whether it is available in India or not, but in USA its a good option.

you can also consider htc touch, touch hd, pro 2 , touch diamond, blackberry curve and my personal fav htc fuze

your requirement points to fuze/bold/curve easily. you can take a look at htc's i mentioned. i had consider g1 after all this.

please not that this is totally what i feel about these phones after using them over a period of time. opinions may vary.

hope this helps

Last edited by chevelle : 6th July 2009 at 04:04.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 10:31   #4959
BHPian

any news about apple eye candy-i mean iphone 3gs???
drchernish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 11:49   #4960
BHPian

been using HTC Dream since it release, the version, got the root access and now converted to ADP :-), good to use, work as expected, but I mostly use it to try all the cooked ROM appearing at XDA and some time my own compiled from android source, recently HTC launched the HTC Magic, which has more internal RAM than G1, the lasted cooked RAM of HTC Hero doesn't go well with G1, because of the RAM and internal memory constraint, lot of SD hack is required, still doesn't work good, but HERO ROM has every thing including FLASH player and multi touch in browser and picture album application.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 14:53   #4961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
Release date for India is August 09
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 14:53   #4962
BHPian

Anyone using Palm Pre on this forum? That phone rocks, and I'm waiting for the unlocked one!
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 12:36   #4963
BHPian

I have a question about the *gallery* on Nokia-N82. Till a couple of weeks back, everything was fine. Then, I bought GPS navigation software (Satnav) and installed it. Now, the 500+ images that the destinator uses (icons for hotels, restaurants etc.) are showing up in the gallery. This has practically rendered the gallery useless for reviewing photos that I've clicked.

Is there any way to exclude the image folder of the navigation software from showing up in the gallery?

Thanks,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 10th July 2009 at 12:40.
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 12:56   #4964
Team-BHP Support

Guys, my SE w580i was on its last breadths, so I backed up my address book (in .wab format) on my laptop.

Now if I buy a new phone Nokia E series, will I be able to export that contact list in the phone ? Will there be compatibility issues ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 13:39   #4965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, my SE w580i was on its last breadths, so I backed up my address book (in .wab format) on my laptop.

Now if I buy a new phone Nokia E series, will I be able to export that contact list in the phone ? Will there be compatibility issues ?
I'm guessing there will be compatibility issues, maybe you could try syncing with microsoft outlook and then moving it to the nokia from there. One thing you could try is to put your contacts on your gmail account's contacts. I know for sure that it syncs with Nokia S60 phones but you might have to double check if it works with SE. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Anyone using Palm Pre on this forum? That phone rocks, and I'm waiting for the unlocked one!
I think it is right now only on CDMA although the GSM version is expected to be launched soon in Europe. It is truly a stunning phone and I'm just waiting for all the teething problems to get solved (and the GSM version to launch) before I jump for one

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
Launch date is supposed to be sometime next month. Personally, I'd wait for Apple to solve the tons of problems (maybe with iphone OS3.1) that people have been reporting about the 3GS.

The overheating/temperature issue is particularly worrying because the Apple support page claims an allowable operating range of only upto 38C or something like that. That would be a MAJOR issue in India. Also, the device reportedly has some battery life and wifi issues that need to be sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I dont follow this thread too closely, but i have noticed that there doesnt seem to be any mention of the upcomming Nokia E72.
This seems like a Blackberry Killer for sure. If everything is stable and there aren't any issues (battery life, call quality etc) then I would say this is probably the first Nokia phone that can match or outdo the formidable E90
adithyav is offline   Reply With Quote