Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:10   #5896
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,015 Times
Default

guys, now i am really really confused! now as i said, i dont really need a QWERTY keypad as i dont do a lot of net surfing on the phone, its only occasional.

what i do need is-
1) cool looks & user interface
2) 3G compatibility
3) 5MP camera atleast, preferably 8MP
4) good screen size & clarity
5) excellent music player

i prefer brands like sony, nokia, samsung, HTC & blackberry.

now i am really confused because when i did an extensive research yesterday on gsmarena.com, i found out that sony & samsung really offers much better & feature rich phones at the same price as compared to nokia. for example, i really loved the Sony Xperia X10 as compared to the nokia X6 assuming the sony costs 30k. infact i loved the nokia X6 over the more expensive nokia D900. have used the nokia N series (my present phone is a nokia N95 8GB) for a while, i want to try something different now!

i feel the Xperia X10 is a class apart woth its cool UI & 8MP camera but-
1) will it come in my budget?
2) will applications for the Android OS 1.6 be easily available on the net?
3) i heard sony will upgrade the OS to Android 2.0 after a few months of its launch where more features will be added. true?
4) why does it come only with 8GB when nokia offers atleast 16GB? though 8GB is more than enough for me!
5) being a sony, i think its music player will be better than nokia.
6) most importantly, is there any problem if i buy it as soon as it is launched? normally it is said that one should wait for a few months before buying a new model until all the bugs are sorted out by the company.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 22nd February 2010 at 10:19.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:38   #5897
BHPian
 
vabs78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 551
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
what i do need is-
1) cool looks & user interface
2) 3G compatibility
3) 5MP camera atleast, preferably 8MP
4) good screen size & clarity
5) excellent music player

Why don't you look at HTC Google Nexus one? It has all you need. Only downside being the music player which may not be as good as Sony.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:45   #5898
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,486
Thanked: 1,163 Times
Default

@raj... look no further than Nokia N900. Thats the closest you will get to having a computer in the palm of your hand.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:27   #5899
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

Just found that I can use my Nokia 5130 as a usb stick for my car's ICE.

Set the phone to connect as a storage device, plug in the data cable to the phone, and connect the other end to the ICE's USB port, and I am done!!!

Probably, this is old news for most, but certainly new to me.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:55   #5900
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,015 Times
Default

first of all, what will be the approx pricing of the Xperia X10?

i did not like the N900 because it is too bulky & at 35,000, it has only a resistive touchscreen & a QWERTY keypad which i dont want! at that price, i am better off with the nokia X6 32GB at 30,000 or the X6 16GB at 25,000.

is the HTC google nexus one a good phone? what is the price? it is quite comparable to the sony X10 in terms of features except that the sony has a 8MP camera.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:16   #5901
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,486
Thanked: 1,163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i did not like the N900 because it is too bulky & at 35,000, it has only a resistive touchscreen & a QWERTY keypad which i dont want! at that price, i am better off with the nokia X6 32GB at 30,000 or the X6 16GB at 25,000.
I agree its bulky but that the price you pay for a phone as capable as N900 with a full qwerty keyboard.
Linux based OS, 1 GB application memory, ARM COrtex A8 600 mhz processor with dedicated hardware graphics card, 256 MB RAM, GPS, Audio player with 3.5mm jack and the fact that operating system is being continuously updated and refined and it doesnt seem to be stopping soon.
I would stay away from Sony Ericsson simply because the after sales support in terms of software updates is very poor. Read what happened with the P990i and Sation owners.
If its andriod is what you are after, look at Nexus one.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:24   #5902
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,015 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I agree its bulky but that the price you pay for a phone as capable as N900 with a full qwerty keyboard.
Linux based OS, 1 GB application memory, ARM COrtex A8 600 mhz processor with dedicated hardware graphics card, 256 MB RAM, GPS, Audio player with 3.5mm jack and the fact that operating system is being continuously updated and refined and it doesnt seem to be stopping soon.
I would stay away from Sony Ericsson simply because the after sales support in terms of software updates is very poor. Read what happened with the P990i and Sation owners.
If its andriod is what you are after, look at Nexus one.
no, i actually liked the sony X10 because of its cool UI & not the android OS. i did look at the google nexus but again it was too boring!

whats your opinion on the X6 16GB? must be cheaper than N900 too.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:16   #5903
BHPian
 
vabs78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 551
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
is the HTC google nexus one a good phone? what is the price? it is quite comparable to the sony X10 in terms of features except that the sony has a 8MP camera.
I am not in into SE that much so can't comment on X10 but I liked the Nexus one. I am getting it from US for $530+taxes.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:37   #5904
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Xperia X10 is a really good phone and compared to nexus one it has a few good features like a much better camera and the sony user experience skins (UX) mediascape and timescape. It also looks way better (subjective!)
Having said that, the phone seems to be really delayed and is based on android 1.6. Sony is acting dodgy about making the phone upgradeable to android 2.1 (which is what nexus runs on) and that is where it destroys the whole point of being based on android. They have not made their UX skins OS version agnostic, which means that each time google comes up with a new android version, the consumer has to depend on sony. And with a new phone every 3 months, sony will soon forget about the xperia customers' demands.
Read more here Xperia X10 will be upgradeable Product Launch Blog
So if you are a user, who just wants a good phone, xperia x10 is the way to go, but if you are someone who frequently likes to update the phone, albeit a few less features, look at nexus or maybe one of its later avataars or HTC.
Post my research - I for one will not touch the xperia x10 unless there is a android 2.1 variant of it available, or Sony guarantees upgrades to android 2.5 on the product box (like winxp laptops upgradeable to win7)
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:01   #5905
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,015 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
I am not in into SE that much so can't comment on X10 but I liked the Nexus one. I am getting it from US for $530+taxes.
that is close to 28,000. an indian site mentions it costs Rs. 24,860 here. then why from US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Xperia X10 is a really good phone and compared to nexus one it has a few good features like a much better camera and the sony user experience skins (UX) mediascape and timescape. It also looks way better (subjective!)
Having said that, the phone seems to be really delayed and is based on android 1.6. Sony is acting dodgy about making the phone upgradeable to android 2.1 (which is what nexus runs on) and that is where it destroys the whole point of being based on android. They have not made their UX skins OS version agnostic, which means that each time google comes up with a new android version, the consumer has to depend on sony. And with a new phone every 3 months, sony will soon forget about the xperia customers' demands.
Read more here Xperia X10 will be upgradeable Product Launch Blog
So if you are a user, who just wants a good phone, xperia x10 is the way to go, but if you are someone who frequently likes to update the phone, albeit a few less features, look at nexus or maybe one of its later avataars or HTC.
Post my research - I for one will not touch the xperia x10 unless there is a android 2.1 variant of it available, or Sony guarantees upgrades to android 2.5 on the product box (like winxp laptops upgradeable to win7)
Oh ho... now thats bad news. seems like i will have to wait then, atleast till may-june if i have to buy the X10.

i did a quick comparo yesterday & found out that among 5 MP phones, the Google nexus one & Nokia X6 are good contenders costing 25k & 30k respectively.

Among 8MP phones, Samsung I8520 beam (soon to be released) seems to be better than Samsung Omnia HD costing 35k & 33k respectively.

Sony vivaz is not worth the price (35k) as for the same price, Samsung Beam offers a AMOLED capacitive screen/480x800/3.7" instead of resistive screen/360x240/3.2" offered in the vivaz.

yes, the Sony X10 seemed to the most ideal phone for me, but you post has certainly put some doubts now.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd February 2010 at 10:05.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:20   #5906
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Blackberry Pearl. Small & powerful, connected all the time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_28_8 View Post
Hi TEAM-BHPians
Leaving the car n bikes a side for a while…. I know it is difficult for u guys.
Let us know which mobile phone model do u all use.
owaiskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:27   #5907
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 677 Times
Default EMOZE for Nokia N71

Guys,

has anyone been using the EMOZE for Nokia application for Push email. I got it up and working just a couple of days. Earlier i used the Nokia Messaging service; but some how it wasnt supporting my company email address even after i entered the setting manually.

Someone then suggested to try out EMOZE. Insalled it; configured it; works superb. I found it better then Nokia Messaging. When i installed it, it said you can only configure ONE email address on FREE EMOZE & you cant edit the SGNATURE ( that was a bit sad). But that was ok as i needed push email for my work id alone.

Today morning i had a update message from EMOZE and i went through with it and what do i get? I am now able to configure multiple emails, Gmail, Hotmail, Work email, Facebook etc. and also able to edit the SIGNATURE.

When i earlier checked for ful version it said i have to pay INR 620 per year. More details : emoze Push email & messaging for all mobile devices
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:07   #5908
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 766
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
midway through Brigade road, left side after the Sony showroom there is a new (well, opened shortly) shop selling cellphones - don't remember the name. you might want to try there. i got the HTC belt case (not local) for my Diamond there.

btw, have you heard the phrase "once you're black, there's not turning back". it's kinda similar with windows mobiles. once you get addicted, you'll find it difficult going back to any other OS.

i was a die-hard Sonyericsson fan before i got my first WM6 - the HTC Touch.
I believe there is no stylus since it's a capacitive screen. I am planning to upgrade to this one, since I have some old application wondering whether I can use it without stylus. how much you paid, will there be a huge different if bought from US.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:32   #5909
BHPian
 
vabs78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 551
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
that is close to 28,000. an indian site mentions it costs Rs. 24,860 here. then why from US?
Which site? Last I checked, 20North listed it at 33K. I am getting it form ~26K.
In any case I will be really skeptical about buying from someone who is selling cheaper than Google.

Jassi, has summed up the issue really well, if you are someone who likes to upgrade your phone software, and someone who heavily uses google products (gmail, blogger, maps, etc.), Nexus one is the phone for you.

I am especially looking forward to 'over the air' updates that google will be releasing from time to time.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:55   #5910
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 831
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Please Help

Hey friends! Need some advice here. At present I am using Sony Ericsson K810i. I have been thinking of upgrading to Nokia 5800. i find it amazing but unfortunately I cannot it afford it now(Cost around Rs.13000). So I have a friend who wants to sell his Nokia 5800 which is around 8 months old. The phone is well maintained. He said he will give me everything that came with the box except the stylus which he has lost.. I wanted to know what would be a good price for the phone. He is aking for Rs. 8000. My bid is Rs. 6500. Is it very low for N5800 or Rs. 8000 is very high. I just love the phone and its touch pad. So please advise me on this matter.

P.S- what about the resale value of Sony ericsson K810i. It is running fine except that its cover is a bit broken. It is 1.5 years old.

Please Advise!
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Pictures Thread inder_s1 Shifting gears 13 10th April 2009 21:06
F1-2009...All your Discussions here....! PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 395 4th April 2009 13:58
T-Mobile G1 Android mobile phone introduced yesterday but nobody here seems to care.. srijit Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 7th October 2008 15:57
Decisions... Decisions on choosing a four wheeled friend balashome The Indian Car Scene 47 1st October 2005 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:15.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks