Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 20:33   #6421
Senior - BHPian
 
S350L-E240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: India
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 371 Times
Default

Sahil, no no! I cannot even in my dream think of spending the kind of money Vertu charges for a phone. I like the 8*** series in nokia since years as they made quality at a lesser price without being over the top like Vertu, Dior, etc. I heard they had some new model coming up but I guess plans are shelved was hoping for more info on the same.

Coming to iPhone, I do agree for the first time in my life I am fascinated by a touchscreen phone, the iphone 4, but am really bad at touchscreens and have at number of times tried using it but just cannot get used to it even for short SMS"s but then it is a gorgeous phone. I hope Vodafone / Airtel launch it soon in India.

And the C3 should be here soon I guess as they have started sales in few countries.
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 02:19   #6422
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default

Alright guys... need some advice...

I was using an E71 and want to change my phone. My use of email is very sparse .. 6-7 emails / day and I just need a reliable smart phone..

My options are:

1) Nokia E72 - Actually, bought an e72 but the piece was defective! I returned it to the dealer. Now am jittery about the model's reliability.
2) BB 8900 - Everything is great - except lack of 3g.
3) BB 9700 - 31 K is a lot of money!! Is this phone worth it?

Help!

Last edited by AbhiJ : 9th June 2010 at 02:21.
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 07:34   #6423
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Alright guys... need some advice...

I was using an E71 and want to change my phone. My use of email is very sparse .. 6-7 emails / day and I just need a reliable smart phone..

My options are:

1) Nokia E72 - Actually, bought an e72 but the piece was defective! I returned it to the dealer. Now am jittery about the model's reliability.
2) BB 8900 - Everything is great - except lack of 3g.
3) BB 9700 - 31 K is a lot of money!! Is this phone worth it?

Help!
If you buy the unlocked version of the 9700 it costs 27k in chennai. I was also wanting to buy a 9700 but have now decided to wait it out for the BB 9800 , this one has got a touch screen , onboard 4 gb memory and a 5mp camera.

And guys , this must be wrong right. A nokia N8 for 24k ?
http://www.srivasavimobiles.com/prod...?id=Nokia%20N8

Last edited by arjunrudra : 9th June 2010 at 07:36.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 10:29   #6424
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I think Nokia is leaving these low-tech but ultra luxury phones for their Luxury brand Vertu to handle. They recently launched an all gold version of the 6700 but that again was priced below 15k i believe.
Are you sure about highlighted part last time I saw a Vertu in person it was very ordinary looking metal finish ( was claimed to be platinum) and with diamonds studded on it price tag was around 50,000 US $ , Don't remember exact price tag as there were 4-5 of them with price in similar band. This was in an Hotel shopping arcade seeing the price tag I maintained a safe distance between my hand and the phone

Of course there are China made Vertu replica available for as low as 300$
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 10:51   #6425
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

^^ i was reading somewhere that the cheapest vertu is 5000USD and the most expensive one 350,000USD :-)
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 19:44   #6426
BHPian
 
Ponmayilal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I am planning to go in for Motorola Milestone powered by Android 2.1. The specs seems impressive and it also doubles as a navigator with MapmyIndia maps.

Looking for a hands-on review here. Anyone?
Ponmayilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 06:28   #6427
Ram
Senior - BHPian
 
Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore, Mumbai, Nagpur
Posts: 2,164
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
I am planning to go in for Motorola Milestone powered by Android 2.1. The specs seems impressive and it also doubles as a navigator with MapmyIndia maps.

Looking for a hands-on review here. Anyone?
Since you've already planned to buy it ahead of anyone of us,
why don't you buy it and write a review, so that we benefit from your hands-on review?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 10:03   #6428
BHPian
 
Raja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 414
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
I am planning to go in for Motorola Milestone powered by Android 2.1. The specs seems impressive and it also doubles as a navigator with MapmyIndia maps.

Looking for a hands-on review here. Anyone?
Just to add, that if you are planning to modify the phone in the future, it looks very difficult at the moment (mod with custom ROM).
The bootloader on the Milestone is practically impossible to crack, this is currently preventing custom ROM's.

If you are not into loading custom ROM's, I think this is one of the best phones out there.
I personally would have bought one already, but I like to load custom Rom's on my phones.
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 10:58   #6429
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
I am planning to go in for Motorola Milestone powered by Android 2.1. The specs seems impressive and it also doubles as a navigator with MapmyIndia maps.

Looking for a hands-on review here. Anyone?
It's one of the best android phones overall, and definitely the best droid available in India. Also from what i have heard, it comes with vanilla 2.1 (i.e. not customized like Sony, HTC etc). So it should be easier to upgrade to 2.2.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 11:00   #6430
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Just to add, that if you are planning to modify the phone in the future, it looks very difficult at the moment (mod with custom ROM).
The bootloader on the Milestone is practically impossible to crack, this is currently preventing custom ROM's.

If you are not into loading custom ROM's, I think this is one of the best phones out there.
I personally would have bought one already, but I like to load custom Rom's on my phones.

I feel having the froyo 2.2 upgrade makes a lot of sense and if the phone doesnt support it, one must think over it again. 2.2 version does seem to be significant interms of performance and usefulness.

A couple of months more should make things clear.

I wish these phones worked like PCs( upgrade RAM if required ) and install OS and upgrades without limitations at least for 2 years after buying.

Something doesnt feel right or sorted out at the moment.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 12:30   #6431
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Hi guys,

Is Nokia E5 launched in Market ? Any pointers where this can be purchased in Bangalore. Any other suggestions you have

Requirements are ad follows.

1. Qwerty Keypad
2. Microsoft Exchange compatibility with all security protocols.
3. Music / FM transmitter.

Budget : <15K.

Nokias are preferred choice

Regards
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 13:03   #6432
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 678 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi guys,

Is Nokia E5 launched in Market ? Any pointers where this can be purchased in Bangalore. Any other suggestions you have

Requirements are ad follows.

1. Qwerty Keypad
2. Microsoft Exchange compatibility with all security protocols.
3. Music / FM transmitter.

Budget : <15K.

Nokias are preferred choice

Regards
Not sure if E5 is out yet or not. But i guess in your above requirements, E71 could be your best bet.

It is a proven and tested Business Fone. & its priced well too. In your budget. If you wish to save more you can chek out E63 as well.

Cheers!!
HD
h@r$h@l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 17:28   #6433
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Not sure if E5 is out yet or not. But i guess in your above requirements, E71 could be your best bet.

It is a proven and tested Business Fone. & its priced well too. In your budget. If you wish to save more you can chek out E63 as well.

Cheers!!
HD
OK , Purchased E63 , Actually it was for my wife who lost her phone yesterday and a new one was to be purchased in emergency. She is dead against touch screen and also She overruled all my suggestions so have to ask here :-).
As her employer does not have BB server , BB does not make any sense and just exchange compliance with all the security features is sufficient.

E71 is 13.5 K and E63 is 9K but both are same under the hood.

E71 has following above E63
- Stainless Steel finish ( E63 has plastic body)
- 2.5 mm audio jack instead of 3.5 mm standard Audio jack in E63
- 3.2 mega pixel instead of 2 megapixel in E63
- No internal GPS
- No HSDPA
- No side button for volume.

Last edited by amitk26 : 10th June 2010 at 17:29.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 17:31   #6434
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default

Why dont you go for the E52/55. Has everything except the qwerty keyboard but comes at 12k's fully loaded.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 20:09   #6435
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,861
Thanked: 2,398 Times
Default

Quote:
E71 has following above E63
- Stainless Steel finish ( E63 has plastic body)
- 2.5 mm audio jack instead of 3.5 mm standard Audio jack in E63
- 3.2 mega pixel instead of 2 megapixel in E63
- No internal GPS
- No HSDPA
- No side button for volume.
I think you got mixed up, E63 doesnt have Internal GPS while E71 does, same for HSDPA & side volume button
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Pictures Thread inder_s1 Shifting gears 13 10th April 2009 21:06
F1-2009...All your Discussions here....! PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 395 4th April 2009 13:58
T-Mobile G1 Android mobile phone introduced yesterday but nobody here seems to care.. srijit Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 7th October 2008 15:57
Decisions... Decisions on choosing a four wheeled friend balashome The Indian Car Scene 47 1st October 2005 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks