Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 07:15   #6436
Senior - BHPian
 
vinaydas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Hi vinaydas,

Thanks but I think the 8600 Luna was like a segment lower? correct me if Im wrong but what Im wondering is has Nokia got any plans to have a true successor to that phone? I miss it so much, it was my kinda perfect phone. Just a gorgeous phone.
Dad paid close to what he paid for the original 8800 for his 8600 gold(50k+).
the advantages are a much needed better batter, the updated s40 OS , leather(??) coating on the back panel and little bit on the front also(white on the gold which gets dirty easily and is tough to clean!).

but as with the 8800 the 8600 is not for any tech savy user but rather for the very very very casual user.
The speaker phone is very clear,sound quality is top notch ,crystal clear display and a pretty decent camera.
all said and done , its still a very sexy,stylish and charming phone to use and the slide is to die for, easily the best slider available in the market.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1428379 (The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here)

Here is a pic of my phones side by side which i clicked some time back.

Last edited by vinaydas : 11th June 2010 at 07:22.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 09:17   #6437
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I think you got mixed up, E63 doesnt have Internal GPS while E71 does, same for HSDPA & side volume button
Ya wanted to list features of E71 above E63 and not features of E63 , so yes that NO should not have been there last 3 are what E63 lacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Why dont you go for the E52/55. Has everything except the qwerty keyboard but comes at 12k's fully loaded.
Qwerty keyboard was main requirement and E63 is much cheaper at 9K with everything.


BTW phone is junk and my opinion against E series has hardened but logic does not work always , For example I could not find an easy way to find the MAC address so that I could add this to MAC filter list of home WiFi router , Browser looks dated and primitive too.

Last edited by amitk26 : 11th June 2010 at 09:21.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 10:17   #6438
Senior - BHPian
 
S350L-E240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: India
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 371 Times
Default

Hi Vinaydas,

That is basically 8800 gold edition and not the 8600, 8600 has a fiberglass translucent slider . What you have is the 8800 in its various avatars that Nokia launched until the production ended but have not had a replacement after that.

I am wondering if there is any new gen planned?

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 13:30   #6439
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,861
Thanked: 2,398 Times
Default

@amit- Use opera mini 5 or opera Mobile 10, the latter is fullfledged browser while the former uses caching to save on data & has some limitations. I use both as per need
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 15:04   #6440
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Anybody heard anything on Samsung Wave? The phone was launched about 2 weeks ago in Europe and has been getting top-class reviews (esp. its screen and interface - the OS is a new one called Bada). Even though it has been made available in Malaysia and Singapore, it is not yet available in India (at least not available in the places that I have looked in). Does anybody here has any info regarding its availability? I want to get my hands on one ASAP.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 15:16   #6441
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@amit- Use opera mini 5 or opera Mobile 10, the latter is fullfledged browser while the former uses caching to save on data & has some limitations. I use both as per need
Thanks the phone is for my wife and Exchange e-mail + Qwerty is what she wanted I suggested various cheaper alternatives but in vain.

BTW E63 has mini USB jack , In my infinite wisdom I thought that it also charges using it like most other phones but no , Nokia uses another charger instead of using mini USB port for the same
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 22:56   #6442
BHPian
 
saleem_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 217
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Disappointed with Samsung

Hi buddies,

I just wanted to share my 2 cents of experience with mobile phones. I currently own a Samsung Pixon (M8800) phone, which has all the advanced features that one would look for. Features such as 3G, Bluetooth, Internet capabilities, GPS receiver, google maps, 8MP cam, high quality video streaming abilities, nice big touch screen, etc., to name a few.

Unfortunately my experience with this phone has been far from pleasant. Not that I had or have issues with it on a regular basis but in general it has been a disappointing experience for me when it comes to handling of this phone.

I have faced issues like the phone getting automatically switched off, when using even a normal application, phone getting switched off when i select FM radio, and this happened with the phone not even completing one year of its time with me. I also faced issues like GPS receiver not working even when there was a signal, sometimes very slow access to the Internet, etc. I know some of them may be external influences and not directly from the phone but I am sure that sometimes it was the phone that was acting up.

Just yesterday, one major issue happened that forced me to give it to the service center guys. I switched off the phone yesterday and when I restarted, the phone kept on switching off and on continuously without stopping.

The service center guys said that it needs a software update and all the previous data in the phone would be deleted. Infact they are not entirely sure that it could be a correct diagnosis.

I found this very disappointing because I bought this phone for 22.5k and within one year I'm getting all these issues. This was my fourth phone and previously I owned 3 nokia phones, all of which gave me a fabulous ownership experience. Ofcourse they too had those niggling issues but those happened only when I dropped them or handled them a bit roughly. I had to buy a new phone because my previous nokia 6270 phone wanted to swim and unfortunately I couldn't stop it from doing so. Then perhaps still in that shock I decided to take a risk and buy brands other than nokia. That was perhaps an unwise decision.

I have decided that once my phone is back, I will sell it and settle for a decent nokia phone.

This is not to hurt the sentiments of people who use Samsung or other brands of phones but I personally feel that a nokia will always be the best thing to go for and if people find it expensive or a bit outdated, I think those are some things that we can live with and we can also be assured that we have one of the best phones with us.

p.s. I'm in no way related to nokia or any of its affiliates and neither do I intend to start a war or argument over which brand of phone is the best.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th June 2010 at 13:22. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully, thanks
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 23:26   #6443
BHPian
 
lloydofcochin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 436
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

Hi Guys,

Need a help with an E63 WLAN settings. My friend recently purchased a router - Belkin F5D7234sa4. First when we tried to connect he was able to connect and later we got an error "No Gateway reply". We went in to the advanced settings and manually added the IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway etc but still it did not work.

The router is set to DHCP and no MAC filtering is used. Security on the router is WPA.

Tried Nokia forums but that did not help

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Lloyd
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 06:03   #6444
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,703
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

^ Try another wireless network first, before we start troubleshooting the phone!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 11:02   #6445
SLK
Senior - BHPian
 
SLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DL XX XX XXXX
Posts: 1,288
Thanked: 184 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Hi Guys,

Need a help with an E63 WLAN settings. My friend recently purchased a router - Belkin F5D7234sa4. .. . . ..

The router is set to DHCP and no MAC filtering is used. Security on the router is WPA.
Try switching off WMM on the router. This works for me on my netgear, otherwise Nokia phones does seem to work.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 13:21   #6446
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default

Switched to Samsung Star Superb

Its fasstteer ,smaller, better built than 5800. No GPS sadly.

Got for a great price from a friend _
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 16:26   #6447
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Hey Guys,
Anyone using HTC Legend phones? It runs on Android 2.1 and seems to be with very good features and looks like a great phone. Any idea what is the best price available with bill & warranty? I got a quote of 22.5k to be lowest in all the places I've searched in Bangalore. Is it a good price? Or can be obtained for even less? Considering this phone has just recently been launched in India there might be a chance of price to be slashed more in coming months?
Is there any other phone in that range (with android) that I can look for? HTC Desire seems to be the best of the lot but not available in India yet and will be pricey even if it's launched.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 20:54   #6448
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thrissur , Kerala
Posts: 85
Thanked: Once
Default

Anybody here using an external GPS module for your mobile phones? If yes How reliable are they ? How do they compare to inbuilt GPS recievers?
mithunkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 09:33   #6449
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 40
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Hi buddies,

I just wanted to share my 2 cents of experience with mobile phones. I currently own a Samsung Pixon (M8800) phone, which has all the advanced features that one would look for. Features such as 3G, Bluetooth, Internet capabilities, GPS receiver, google maps, 8MP cam, high quality video streaming abilities, nice big touch screen, etc., to name a few.

Unfortunately my experience with this phone has been far from pleasant. Not that I had or have issues with it on a regular basis but in general it has been a disappointing experience for me when it comes to handling of this phone.

I have faced issues like the phone getting automatically switched off, when using even a normal application, phone getting switched off when i select FM radio, and this happened with the phone not even completing one year of its time with me. I also faced issues like GPS receiver not working even when there was a signal, sometimes very slow access to the Internet, etc. I know some of them may be external influences and not directly from the phone but I am sure that sometimes it was the phone that was acting up.

Just yesterday, one major issue happened that forced me to give it to the service center guys. I switched off the phone yesterday and when I restarted, the phone kept on switching off and on continuously without stopping.

The service center guys said that it needs a software update and all the previous data in the phone would be deleted. Infact they are not entirely sure that it could be a correct diagnosis.

I found this very disappointing because I bought this phone for 22.5k and within one year I'm getting all these issues. This was my fourth phone and previously I owned 3 nokia phones, all of which gave me a fabulous ownership experience. Ofcourse they too had those niggling issues but those happened only when I dropped them or handled them a bit roughly. I had to buy a new phone because my previous nokia 6270 phone wanted to swim and unfortunately I couldn't stop it from doing so. Then perhaps still in that shock I decided to take a risk and buy brands other than nokia. That was perhaps an unwise decision.

I have decided that once my phone is back, I will sell it and settle for a decent nokia phone.

This is not to hurt the sentiments of people who use Samsung or other brands of phones but I personally feel that a nokia will always be the best thing to go for and if people find it expensive or a bit outdated, I think those are some things that we can live with and we can also be assured that we have one of the best phones with us.

p.s. I'm in no way related to nokia or any of its affiliates and neither do I intend to start a war or argument over which brand of phone is the best.
I had a similar experience with Samsung. I purchased U600 for 18K when it was launched (about 2-2.5 years back). After 6 months, the mobile started giving problems. Once they updated the software, second time they replaced a component, and once it crossed the warranty period (in 13th month), they told me that the motherboard needs to be replaced and it costs 80% of the mobile cost. It is my daughter's play toy from then on.

No more Samsung mobiles for me. The worst part is the hours of wait at their Bangalore BTM service center. Every visit to their service center used to involve one to two hours of waiting for my turn. The time I spent there is worth more than what I spent on the mobile.
umvarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 10:46   #6450
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Well component failure is not unique to any one brand I have a Nokia 6265 purchased at 16.5 K The reason for purchasing this phone was that it was only one with some high end features on reliance and at that time reliance was the only service provider which was giving decent data rate ( EDGE was not there in Airtel network)

Nokia Service sucks. You need to take a token and sit in the Q and they took more then 7 days each time phone was given to them for service. They charged 1500 Rs and 900 Rs and did not bother to give it for third time.

Mostly low end candy bar models are more robust then all the fancy ones.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Pictures Thread inder_s1 Shifting gears 13 10th April 2009 21:06
F1-2009...All your Discussions here....! PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 395 4th April 2009 13:58
T-Mobile G1 Android mobile phone introduced yesterday but nobody here seems to care.. srijit Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 7th October 2008 15:57
Decisions... Decisions on choosing a four wheeled friend balashome The Indian Car Scene 47 1st October 2005 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks