Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 14th February 2012, 11:38   #8581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak
Is anyone using Galaxy Note in this forum? I am getting one for 28K from the store with Gingerbread 2.3.5. Is any one facing heating issue as the one in SII i9100G?
I have been using SGS2 for two weeks now. The phone gets mildly hot while charging and playing games but it will not get hot while browsing on your phone. I think you should not all worry about heating issues. You are getting the note at a terrific price but the only issue with it is size. If you are comfortable with it is a great phone
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 11:54   #8582
BHPian

Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post

Is anyone using Galaxy Note in this forum? I am getting one for 28K from the store with Gingerbread 2.3.5. Is any one facing heating issue as the one in SII i9100G?
I have not found any heating issues with note. I feel it is a good catch @ 28K. Go for it if you don't mind the size. BTW the size grows on you and later on you'll not find it awkward at all.
Vasuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 12:58   #8583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki

I have not found any heating issues with note. I feel it is a good catch @ 28K. Go for it if you don't mind the size. BTW the size grows on you and later on you'll not find it awkward at all.
Hi Buddy,

I was a big fan of Nokia E90 which I still have till I ordered apple Iphone. The day I went to pickup my iphone I saw sgs1 and picked that up. Boy I still love my decision. Note I own a sgs2 which I bought a week before its launch date and I am running Checkrom v4.0 on that. I had an itching of buying note the date it was launched and was getting a great deal too. I had a talk with the guy who had made checkrom and he suggested me that I should wait for the launch of sgs3.

Now reasons,

Note has a 1.4ghz of dual core processor where as I have over clocked the processor of my sgs2 to 1.6 GHz.

Sgs2 I'd a little ready to carry and hold and its a little better responsive than Note.

This is my understating. You can always check and compare.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 13:26   #8584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I have been using SGS2 for two weeks now. The phone gets mildly hot while charging and playing games but it will not get hot while browsing on your phone. I think you should not all worry about heating issues. You are getting the note at a terrific price but the only issue with it is size. If you are comfortable with it is a great phone
Thanks! I am going ahead with Galaxy note (White) as its futureproof. I had compared the spect of i9100 & i9100G the capabilities for Internet browsing is decreased in G version.

As per Gsmarena, Galaxy note is 4G with LTE 700. Will this work in India?
I have found a nice review of Galaxy Note.
Gurudatta Nayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 14:30   #8585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I am going ahead with Galaxy note (White) as its futureproof. I had compared the spect of i9100 & i9100G the capabilities for Internet browsing is decreased in G version.

As per Gsmarena, Galaxy note is 4G with LTE 700. Will this work in India?
I have found a nice review of Galaxy Note.
I guess its the LTE at 700 MHz. I dont know if that spectrum is available in India when they actually launch it
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 14:38   #8586
Distinguished - BHPian

Note is as future proof as any other dual core esp SGS2. The size is the question man? Its painfully humongous.
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 17:28   #8587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak
I had compared the spect of i9100 & i9100G the capabilities for Internet browsing is decreased in G version
I own the G version by the way. Before buying I did a lot of research about which version was better....the common opinion was the 9100 was better than 9100G but only marginally. For normal day to day operations both versions are equally good. So I just went ahead and bought it without thinking much. Plus the non-g version was not available wherever I asked.
Old 15th February 2012, 10:10   #8588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Thanks everyone for helping me to select the device.
Initially i had planned to buy the cheapest Android cellphone (Galaxy Y) later on as the time passed, did good research and i finally ended up with Galaxy Tab T680.

This device(Galaxy Tab T680) is like Galaxy SII (i9100) + Apple iPad2

I am placing an order this weekend from flipkart. Has anyone purchased the device from flipkart in this forum?
Old 15th February 2012, 14:43   #8589
BHPian

Quote:

I am placing an order this weekend from flipkart. Has anyone purchased the device from flipkart in this forum?
I would advise you to go to a store and haggle. You may get better deal than that on Flipkart. I got my note almost 1k less than that was quoted on flipkart
Vasuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 14:58   #8590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I would advise you to go to a store and haggle. You may get better deal than that on Flipkart. I got my note almost 1k less than that was quoted on flipkart
Thanks Vasuki!
The Galaxy Tab T680 is not properly launched in my place . I will need to wait for couple of days to try out.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:41   #8591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Have a question for all WhatsApp users here. Today I installed Whatsapp on my Nokia Xpressmusic 5800. I downloaded the app from Whatsapp site only after installing the app I got a notification that the app is free to use till July 2012 after which I will have to buy the app. I always thought WhatsApp was a free app Does anyone know about this?
Btw, even I used to get the same notification. However, when I check the 'account info' now, they have extended the date automatically. So seems like it could be free on Symbian also for more than a year. Yet to come across a person who has paid for it. In any case, even if they charge a couple of bucks for it, the application is totally worth it.
Animesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 13:51   #8592
BHPian

Hi,
I am in market for a phone. But dont want to spend more than 20k on it.

Requirements
Good Camera
HD video capabilities

Not keen on N8 as my brother owns one. Any reviews of Wave 3?
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 14:03   #8593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh
In any case, even if they charge a couple of bucks for it, the application is totally worth it.
Ofcourse it is a great application but if it is free for android or ios, I would expect it to be free for all platforms. I would not like if my friends are enjoying whatsapp for free and I am paying for it. But you are right- I have never heard anyone pay for whatsapp -symbian or otherwise
Old 16th February 2012, 17:36   #8594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Hi,
I am in market for a phone. But dont want to spend more than 20k on it.

Requirements
Good Camera
HD video capabilities

Not keen on N8 as my brother owns one. Any reviews of Wave 3?
Wave 3 id on Bada os from Samsung. Try to go with android, Try Samsung Galaxy R
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 17:36   #8595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am on the lookout for a phone for my wife. The requirements are simple:
1. Phone should be square in shape
2. No slider or flipping should be required to make/ receive calls
3. Fancy colors or white preferred
4. Should have a decent camera
5. GSM
6. Battery should last 2 days or more (usage say 1 hour calling per day)
An update on my earlier post. There was only one phone which met requirements 1, 2 and 3- Micromax Bling Q55 - so we ordered it from LetsBuy on the 1st of February. The phone arrived after a couple of days.
Initial impression - WOW.
After around two weeks of usage by my wife here is a quick summary review:
Pros:
1. Good value for money at Rs. 3100 (the MRP is Rs. 6499 which is too much for this phone).
2. Looks very attractive. Can give any phone an inferiority complex. Yes. It looks hell lot better than the big touchscreen phones.
3. All required features are present (e.g. MP3 ringtones, alarm tones, customization of tone per contact, nimbuzz application, facebook application, opera mini browser)
4. Responsive phone
5. Can receive call without opening the slider/ swivel. This was not there in any other phone I have come across.
6. Has Bluetooth
7. Good speakers - very loud and good quality.
8. Phone has feature to turn off at a set time and switch on again at a set time. Very useful when you want to extend battery life.
9. So far battery is giving good talk time and standby time. I expect it to settle down to 2.5-3 days of standby time - which is good when I compare to my Android based phone.
10. Supports 16/32 GB mSD Card (not sure about the max.)
11. Dual SIM with the option to disable one SIM completely.
12. Good organizer.
13. PC Suite can allow backup of contacts, messages. You can manage contacts, compose messages and do some file management operations. Did not expect this from Micromax (so this is a bonus).
14. Comes with a pink pouch which is of good quality - looks very girly.
15. Good voice clarity.

Cons:
1. Almost useless camera.
2. Poor calculator application
3. Keyboard backlight actually hampers identification of keys. No way to disable it. Plus keys are very rubbery - don't buy if you do a lot of typing.
4. PC Suite application looks dated. Expects csv file only in a certain format. Had to spend several hours to get it right.
5. Name field in contacts has a single field. There is no First Name, Last Name fields.
6. Susceptible to electromagnetic interference. Very bad.
7. While you turn on speakerphone mode, the other side will hear their own voice echo. Very bad.

Overall, if the phone lasts for one year without any trouble, I would say it is Rs. 3100 well spent.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote