Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 16:55   #8926
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Among the Android phones in the market(sub 20k), which phone has a decent battery life?

This includes a good 3-4 hours of surfing(mostly text only, no flash) and i am looking for the battery life that lasts the day.

Thanks, in advance.
Old 20th June 2012, 00:17   #8927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Among the Android phones in the market(sub 20k), which phone has a decent battery life?

This includes a good 3-4 hours of surfing(mostly text only, no flash) and i am looking for the battery life that lasts the day.

Thanks, in advance.
May I suggest Samsung Galaxy S Plus i9001 - I know one that's been running like 2+ days and still has 15% juice left. In place of 3-4 hours of browsing, here we have 1 hour of bluetooth audio, 1-2 hours of calls, frequent texts, WhatsApp messages, FB messages, gtalk chats, and perhaps an hour of browsing. With this usage pattern, the battery life is almost consistent at ~2 days for one top-up. Sells for less than 20k at flipkart
Old 20th June 2012, 07:25   #8928
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quick Query to the Gurus here!

For me a phone has to be good at the following:
1. Calls
2. SMS
3. WhatsApp etc
4. An excellent point and shoot Camera is a necessity for me
5. Email (for personal and office) - but some small time lag here is perfectly fine -I will never buy a BB because I hate them as a concept.
6. A few apps here and there - news etc for example
7. Sat Nav capability with constant map updates and turn by turn voice guidance

I find that my one and a half year old Nokia N8 does all these jobs admirably. When supported by a 3.5 to 4G network as I discovered recently on a trip abroad, it works amazingly well compared to my India 2G network.

Given all of the above, do you think it makes sense for me to consider buying the brand new Nokia 808 which operates on Symbian Belle despite the fact that Nokia has come out with Windows Lumia phones and there are other excellent technologies like the iPhone etc available?

Note that for me, the real meat of the matter here is that the Nokia Phone Camera capability is far higher than any other camera phone in the market.

The things I love about the Nokia smartphones are the sheer quality of camera and carl zeiss optics. My last 3 or four mobile phones have been these Nokias with such Carl Zeiss lenses - N78, N82, N8.
I also love the lifetime free Nokia Maps with excellent turn by turn voice navigation guidance which means that I can peacefully dispense with my Sat Nav machine when Im travelling and where it is required.

I am otherwise a recent convert to Apple - iPod touch, iPad2 etc etc. Thinking of going that way on the laptop too, to a MacBook Pro sometime in the near / foreseeable future but thats under debate right now. Phone also - Im extremely tempted by the iPhone 5 whenever it comes or even the iPhone 4S, but what holds me back are the clear things as I ve stated above.

I dont want to go the Android route - not interesting to me at all. I also have stated that I wont buy a BB as I hate them.

Your kind advice in such constrained circumstances as outlined above, would be most welcome!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th June 2012 at 07:27.
Old 20th June 2012, 08:03   #8929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am otherwise a recent convert to Apple - iPod touch, iPad2 etc etc. Thinking of going that way on the laptop too, to a MacBook Pro sometime in the near / foreseeable future but thats under debate right now. Phone also - Im extremely tempted by the iPhone 5 whenever it comes or even the iPhone 4S, but what holds me back are the clear things as I ve stated above.
You being an Apple convert, my recommendation is to go with the iPhone 4S. Call quality is decent; the camera is quite good with quick startup and sharp images (I find it a major improvement over iPhone 4). Another advantage is that you can manage the applications across your iPad, iPod and iPhone.

I have a Windows phone as well, which is extremely user-friendly, but they surely need to do some catch-up.
Old 20th June 2012, 08:06   #8930
BHPian

Quote:
Quick Query to the Gurus here!

For me a phone has to be good at the following:
1. Calls
2. SMS
3. WhatsApp etc
4. An excellent point and shoot Camera is a necessity for me
5. Email (for personal and office) - but some small time lag here is perfectly fine -I will never buy a BB because I hate them as a concept.
6. A few apps here and there - news etc for example
7. Sat Nav capability with constant map updates and turn by turn voice guidance

Given all of the above, do you think it makes sense for me to consider buying the brand new Nokia 808 which operates on Symbian Belle despite the fact that Nokia has come out with Windows Lumia phones and there are other excellent technologies like the iPhone etc available?

Your kind advice in such constrained circumstances as outlined above, would be most welcome!
Woah, shankar.balan... Are you reading my mind? And am I glad you beat me to this post? For your order of usage priorities is exactly the same as mine, only elucidated far better than I could have. So thanks.

If we had a view on when the pureview would appear in a WP avatar, I would not mind waiting for it. But for all else, I await the replies of gurus on this forum as well as gsmarena's review of 808 (scheduled for any time now as per their blog)

Last edited by DaiusPitar : 20th June 2012 at 08:09.
Old 20th June 2012, 16:37   #8931
BANNED

I shall wait a bit and buy the 808 I think.
Love the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Woah, shankar.balan... Are you reading my mind? And am I glad you beat me to this post? For your order of usage priorities is exactly the same as mine, only elucidated far better than I could have. So thanks.

If we had a view on when the pureview would appear in a WP avatar, I would not mind waiting for it. But for all else, I await the replies of gurus on this forum as well as gsmarena's review of 808 (scheduled for any time now as per their blog)
Old 21st June 2012, 10:51   #8932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post

Quote:
I shall wait a bit and buy the 808 I think.
Love the camera.
You want a replacement for point and shoot ? If you read the blogs , 808 is being compared to High end DSLRs like Canon MKIII which costs $4300 with lens.

Of course it can't beat DSLRs in low light conditions, but you need to read it to believe how close it comes to them even in low light pics. For a layman, Quad core means the phone is the best. Nokia proves them wrong but cannot change a layman thinking with the technical explanation.

I'm having a N8 as well, with custom firmware. There is no lag in belle with v111.040.904 and my daughter plays HD games on 40" LCD using N8. Planning to move to 808 soon.

Just go for 808.

1. You get the best camera
2. The best voice clarity ( you should see the videos, almost ZERO background noise)
3. You get Belle FP1..smoother with new features on 1.3 GHz ( If it runs smooth on 680MHz on N8, then you will know what I mean)
4. Add 32GB with MicroSD ( Already have 32GB card on N8, I'm sure we can use higher capacity)
5. Voice Navigation
6. MS Office Apps ( Skydrive, Exchange and Sharepoint)
7. FM Transmitter
8. Dolby Surround Sound
9. USB on the Go
10. HDMI
Old 21st June 2012, 10:59   #8933
Senior - BHPian

Now with the Windows phone 8 reported to having SD cards, NFC etc (on par with others), hope Nokia can put their camera into a windows phone.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:03   #8934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Now with the Windows phone 8 reported to having SD cards, NFC etc (on par with others), hope Nokia can put their camera into a windows phone.
It might happen as this is being discussed on most of the forums but not soon.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:20   #8935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
It might happen as this is being discussed on most of the forums but not soon.
Its arriving in fall. I dont know how people will now buy Lumia etc when there is no backward compatibility.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:05   #8936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Its arriving in fall. I dont know how people will now buy Lumia etc when there is no backward compatibility.
MS must be doing standard "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish" with Nokia.

Given current Lumia phones would not be able to upgrade to WP 8 its Osborne redux.

Nokia declared Symbian "End of Life" even before WP was available, thus doing Osborne with all Nokia products in Feb 2011.
Old 21st June 2012, 15:14   #8937
BANNED

On a trade in deal, I get 8000 off on my N8 when I buy 808
I shall need to add in a few extras though in terms of accessories etc
Else I guess it should be ok
But I will only buy towards the third quarter of the year - round about Diwali or so. Looks like the 808 is a super phone indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
You want a replacement for point and shoot ? If you read the blogs , 808 is being compared to High end DSLRs like Canon MKIII which costs $4300 with lens.

Of course it can't beat DSLRs in low light conditions, but you need to read it to believe how close it comes to them even in low light pics. For a layman, Quad core means the phone is the best. Nokia proves them wrong but cannot change a layman thinking with the technical explanation.

I'm having a N8 as well, with custom firmware. There is no lag in belle with v111.040.904 and my daughter plays HD games on 40" LCD using N8. Planning to move to 808 soon.

Just go for 808.

1. You get the best camera
2. The best voice clarity ( you should see the videos, almost ZERO background noise)
3. You get Belle FP1..smoother with new features on 1.3 GHz ( If it runs smooth on 680MHz on N8, then you will know what I mean)
4. Add 32GB with MicroSD ( Already have 32GB card on N8, I'm sure we can use higher capacity)
5. Voice Navigation
6. MS Office Apps ( Skydrive, Exchange and Sharepoint)
7. FM Transmitter
8. Dolby Surround Sound
9. USB on the Go
10. HDMI
Old 21st June 2012, 15:38   #8938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I will only buy towards the third quarter of the year - round about Diwali or so. Looks like the 808 is a super phone indeed!
The photos are truly impressive.
Have a look at this one.
All sizes | Nokia 808 PureViewClub - Lamborghini Aventador 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But there is one issue: Purple Tint on the 808 is it back to get us? | Symbian Developers Blog
Old 21st June 2012, 16:55   #8939
BHPian

Can anybody confirm the validity of the site buyatbrands.com? They are selling the HOX for 33000/- which is a sweet deal. Also what is the possibility it is a gray market product as many shop vendors tell me when i tell them i can buy it online cheaper.

http://www.buyatbrands.com/gsm-mobil...htc-one-x.html
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:41   #8940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Not all phones have that...very few have reported it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks