Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 01:30   #9661
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 272
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Elegant, smart, simple...

I have a dead one slung in a corner somewhere. Miss it sometimes!
I bet every N6100 user would have a similar opinion.

I am in search for a new/refurbished one, will definitely share with you if i get a good deal.
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 10:01   #9662
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 687
Thanked: 486 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Nokia 1100 my all time favorite
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 12:23   #9663
BHPian
 
engrohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 153
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Rohit,

I has been 10 days since I am using A116 & the experience has been good so far. Now let us hope for the best in future. Frankly I am looking at trouble free ownership for 1 year. Thats it, nothing more.

Thanks,
Hey Jignesh

Sorry for bothering again,

Actually i was speaking to another user of Canvas HD and he mentioned that "The Apps get stored in phone memory and NOT on SD card".
Is that true?

What ever i know is that this is app specific and the one's which get stored on SD card automatically do so at the time of installation.

Few other queries:
1. How is the battery back with actual usage?
2. How bad is the camera as every review seems to pan the camera quality?

Anyone else has any experience with particularly the app storage thing.

Thanks

Rohit
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 12:37   #9664
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,508
Thanked: 1,647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Hey Jignesh
Sorry for bothering again,
Actually i was speaking to another user of Canvas HD and he mentioned that "The Apps get stored in phone memory and NOT on SD card".
Is that true?
What ever i know is that this is app specific and the one's which get stored on SD card automatically do so at the time of installation.
Few other queries:
1. How is the battery back with actual usage?
2. How bad is the camera as every review seems to pan the camera quality?
Anyone else has any experience with particularly the app storage thing.
Thanks
Rohit
Hey Rohit, Sorry to hijack into your query. The Apps get stored on phone memory on Android devices. Thats what my understanding is. I am using a Galaxy Grand and all the apps directly go to the Phone Memory.
Solution is to root the phone, install Apps to SD Manager and move the apps to memory card. This will void warranty. But you can Unroot the phone again to get back the warranty.
One of my friend's wife is using a Canvas HD and I got to check the Camera hands on. It is indeed not upto the mark. It looks OK on the phone gallery. But once you view it on a computer, the colours do not come out nice.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 13:20   #9665
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Posts: 1,603
Thanked: 933 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Actually i was speaking to another user of Canvas HD and he mentioned that "The Apps get stored in phone memory and NOT on SD card".
Is that true?
Few other queries: 1. How is the battery back with actual usage?
2. How bad is the camera as every review seems to pan the camera quality?
Hello Rohit,

Applications get stored on Phone memory by default. I have read some threads on net suggesting a code change for making External Memory Card default phone memory. Thus if you have 32 GB Card, your phone's memory will increase to 32 GB. I have not tried this, as I have not installed more than basic applications like Whatsapp, Facebook, Team-BHP etc.

Coming to battery back-up, it is fairly good. With 1 hour of internet surfing, almost 30 minutes of phones calls, couple of messages & playing games for some time, battery still lasts more than a day. In last three weeks I am not required to charge the phone twice a day even once.

When it comes to camera performance, yes it is not upto mark. When images are downloaded on computer, they seem to be grainy. But since I set pictures quality to 5 MP (instead of 8 MP) images are better.

I will still advice everyone to go for this phone. Even if camera is not upto mark, when compared to Galaxy Grand, you are saving Rs. 7000, for which you can buy a decent 14 MP Digicam.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 13:33   #9666
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,100
Thanked: 808 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Rohit,


I will still advice everyone to go for this phone. Even if camera is not upto mark, when compared to Galaxy Grand, you are saving Rs. 7000, for which you can buy a decent 14 MP Digicam.

Thanks,
I believe the purpose of a Camera phone is to have a camera with you at all times to capture comething at the spur of a moment. You won't carry a DigiCam around with you at all times and thus, you can't substitute the saved Rs 7000/- for a Digicam.

BTW, some people have bought the Grand at about 18.5 K( cashback offer). Lowering the price difference. But its closer the A110 than A116 in terms of specs.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 14:49   #9667
BHPian
 
engrohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 153
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Hey Rohit, Sorry to hijack into your query. The Apps get stored on phone memory on Android devices. Thats what my understanding is. I am using a Galaxy Grand and all the apps directly go to the Phone Memory.
Hey Thanks Soumyajit. Will have to learn more about the rooting thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Rohit,

Applications get stored on Phone memory by default. I have read some threads on net suggesting a code change for making External Memory Card default phone memory.
Thanks,
Thanks, but will have to be sure that this is happening, else the internal storage would be woefully short of requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I believe the purpose of a Camera phone is to have a camera with you at all times to capture comething at the spur of a moment. You won't carry a DigiCam around with you at all times and thus, you can't substitute the saved Rs 7000/- for a Digicam.
Fully agree to this. Some of the best shots of my new born were taken by mobile camera because that's readily available and handy.

So the confusion goes on as I am really keen on Quad core processor which Grand does not provide and also Canvas HD has better picture quality.
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 14:58   #9668
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,508
Thanked: 1,647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
So the confusion goes on as I am really keen on Quad core processor which Grand does not provide and also Canvas HD has better picture quality.
Well, my two cents from all the research and hands on - Grand's Dual Core performs as good as (probably better than) Canvas' Quad Core.
Hence I opted for Grand instead of Canvas.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 15:21   #9669
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Posts: 1,603
Thanked: 933 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Fully agree to this. Some of the best shots of my new born were taken by mobile camera because that's readily available and handy. So the confusion goes on as I am really keen on Quad core processor which Grand does not provide and also Canvas HD has better picture quality.
Hello Rohit,

I fully agree your & Agam's comments on Camera. But please note that the picture quality is not that bad afterall.

Regarding processor & display - yes, MMX A116 is definitely better than Galaxy Grand. Even the touch response is great on A116. Further, I feel Galaxy Grand will have a atleast 15% price cut soon.

To tell you frankly, if you are confused between A116 & Grand, then A116 is the best & smart choice. But if you can extend your budget to approx Rs. 26,000, then Galaxy S3 is the best choice.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 16:16   #9670
BHPian
 
engrohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 153
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Well, my two cents from all the research and hands on - Grand's Dual Core performs as good as (probably better than) Canvas' Quad Core.
Hence I opted for Grand instead of Canvas.
Thanks for the info. Can you also help reg the following wrt to Grand:-

1. Battery Back up
2. Phone hanging / freezing while surfing or playing games etc.

The reason that I am not very keen on Samsung is their eerie habit of freezing / hanging
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 16:36   #9671
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,508
Thanked: 1,647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post

Thanks for the info. Can you also help reg the following wrt to Grand:-

1. Battery Back up
2. Phone hanging / freezing while surfing or playing games etc.

The reason that I am not very keen on Samsung is their eerie habit of freezing / hanging
Battery Life:
I listen to songs almost 4-5 hours during my office hours (addiction i say :P). Mobile data is ON throughout the day. Approx 10 calls of 5 mins each (say 1 hr total talk time). Browsing few sites here and there that don't open in office network (FB, GMail, T-BHP) amounts to around 2hrs a day.

This is my overall usage. At the end of the day (14hrs), the phone is left with around 20-25% battery. I guess the Mobile data and Music Player drains most of the battery. So if these are not used much, I can safely say that the battery would last a complete 18hrs (if not 24hrs). I generally now a days keep it connected to the laptop to keep it charged all the time.

OS and Processor:
- The Jelly Bean OS is too good. Smooth, no hanging.
- I have played many games - Temple Run (1&2), Free Flow, Angry Birds, Speed Night 2, Devil Ninja 2, Beach Buggy Blitz, iStunt2, Speed Car, etc.

No hanging during gameplay or slow loading. Pretty fast.

One notable thing that I have observed off late (2 months usage) and a few other of my colleagues have also faced on their Samsung Tab2, S3 and Note1 is - If mobile data is ON for a longer time, the phone hangs. True with what you have known about Samsung.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 16th April 2013 at 16:38.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 16:53   #9672
BHPian
 
PetrolRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BBSR/Pune
Posts: 262
Thanked: 181 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Battery Life:
I guess the Mobile data and Music Player drains most of the battery. So if these are not used much, I can safely say that the battery would last a complete 18hrs (if not 24hrs). I generally now a days keep it connected to the laptop to keep it charged all the time.
Yes. Moreover, if you have 3G and with back ground data on, your battery would drain even faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
One notable thing that I have observed off late (2 months usage) and a few other of my colleagues have also faced on their Samsung Tab2, S3 and Note1 is - If mobile data is ON for a longer time, the phone hangs. True with what you have known about Samsung.
Never faced that with my SII. I have Airtel 3G "ON" 24/7 and all background data running, still never faced hanging of phone.
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 18:38   #9673
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Posts: 1,603
Thanked: 933 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
If mobile data is ON for a longer time, the phone hangs. True with what you have known about Samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
2. Phone hanging / freezing while surfing or playing games etc. The reason that I am not very keen on Samsung is their eerie habit of freezing / hanging
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I have Airtel 3G "ON" 24/7 and all background data running, still never faced hanging of phone.
Hello,

I believe most of you might be knowing, but I came to know of this fact recently (after buying Android phone).

Say you access you Facebook / Gmail / others application & then hit back button to come back to home screen. But the respective application keeps on running in background. Periodically one needs to long press the home key while on home screen & phone will show recent applications that are running in background. Just scroll the application to left / right side & they will get killed.

Probably doing the above regularly will save the phone (any brand) from hanging.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 19:39   #9674
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post


Probably doing the above regularly will save the phone (any brand) from hanging.

Thanks,
This is most definitely not correct. What kills your battery is wakelocks or rogue apps not allowing your device to sleep when not in use. Apps in memory not doing anything are harmless. Actually its quite useful to have apps in memory (the ones that you use very frequently) as that would lessen access time (hence make your phone more fluid) I always have a chuckle when I read about people trying to do memory management and proudly declaring they have 200 mb free memory! They are using android the wrong way altogether.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 20:27   #9675
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 687
Thanked: 486 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
This is most definitely not correct. What kills your battery is wakelocks or rogue apps not allowing your device to sleep when not in use. Apps in memory not doing anything are harmless. Actually its quite useful to have apps in memory (the ones that you use very frequently) as that would lessen access time (hence make your phone more fluid) I always have a chuckle when I read about people trying to do memory management and proudly declaring they have 200 mb free memory! They are using android the wrong way altogether.
+1. Using Better Battery Stats helps!

Re MMX A116 queries. Phone is fast. I mean properly fast. Never lags. I use it with single sim, 3G on full day. My usage is 1hr calls, 30 min games, 1hr browsing and 30 min WiFi tethering. My battery lasts almost 24hrs. Not bad ill say. Have not yet rooted this one yet. Phone+battery performance should increase a bit more after that. Camera is quite OK if used at lower resolution. GPS works smoothly. All in all very happy with this phone. Only thing I did not like was display. The display on my MMX A90S was better as it was AMOLED. Better then grand though.
Interestingly couple of Grand and S3 users in office have suddenly stopped flouting their phones since they saw mine

Last edited by akshay380 : 16th April 2013 at 20:29.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Pictures Thread inder_s1 Shifting gears 13 10th April 2009 21:06
F1-2009...All your Discussions here....! PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 395 4th April 2009 13:58
T-Mobile G1 Android mobile phone introduced yesterday but nobody here seems to care.. srijit Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 7th October 2008 15:57
Decisions... Decisions on choosing a four wheeled friend balashome The Indian Car Scene 47 1st October 2005 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks