Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 19:26   #10216
BHPian
 
HappyRoadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 447
Thanked: 92 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Looking for a android smartphone with dual sim, quad core, 1 gb ram, screen max 5 inch, budget 15-17k.
Shortlisted on Samsung grand quattro or Lenono P780.
In terms of specs P780 is definitely winner but want to check whether second sim cqn receive / gives call waiting instead of unavailable when first sim is in use.
Anybody using P780, how it performs, worth buying?
Have a look at Sony Xperia C. Also samsung has announced Grand duos 2. So it should be out in couple of months.
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 23:05   #10217
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 310
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Looking for a android smartphone with dual sim, quad core, 1 gb ram, screen max 5 inch, budget 15-17k.
Shortlisted on Samsung grand quattro or Lenono P780.
In terms of specs P780 is definitely winner but want to check whether second sim cqn receive / gives call waiting instead of unavailable when first sim is in use.
Anybody using P780, how it performs, worth buying?
I am using P780 since September. It performs great! I would recommend it for its awesome battery and very good HD IPS display panel. I have posted my feedback earlier already. Only grouse - my version has only 4GB internal memory. The newer ones come with 8GB. So, check it out before you buy.

It is dual stand-by so hence you cannot cannot get a call when the other sim is active.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 09:20   #10218
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 95
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Do check out Moto G , budget phone ,has a very good battery backup . Has 8gb and 16GB options , but no SD card storage unfortunately.

Lumia 520 is a good phone no doubt , but the camera is a let down in low light .There were some issues with the music player on most windows phone. Please go through the Windows phone thread on this forum .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
^ Ananthang, if you are going to be here till January then buy Moto G. You can't get anything better in that price range.
Thanks Gandhi an Girimajiananth - I am not able to see that in US, so hence bought No contract Verizon prepaid Samsung Galaxy Legend. It is a CDMA no sim model, which I may not be able to use it India, but since I got it in deal it is fine. Originally it was retailing at $230.00 and after contracting with Verizon they were selling it for $110.00. Got in Thanksgiving day deal for USD 35 and easy on my pocket respect to Monthly rentals too.

Let me start and get used to smart phone first and based on my need I wil upgrade.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Ananthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 12:24   #10219
BHPian
 
sameervg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Thane
Posts: 88
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
I am using P780 since September. It performs great! I would recommend it for its awesome battery and very good HD IPS display panel. I have posted my feedback earlier already. Only grouse - my version has only 4GB internal memory. The newer ones come with 8GB. So, check it out before you buy.

It is dual stand-by so hence you cannot cannot get a call when the other sim is active.
Thanks mate for your reply. Today planning to visit some shops and check in market.
sameervg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 13:22   #10220
BHPian
 
Safety is Param's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cosmopolitan
Posts: 297
Thanked: 186 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Gents, Any clues on Lenovo Phones. I am looking at P 780 retailing for some 18499 rs On flip kart. Not sure if i should be paying that much for lenovo hence the request for feedback . My budget is around Between 10 k - 20 K & looking for a Android.
Quote:
@ Sushil, I am using the P780, in fact typing from it. Except for the size, which takes some getting used to. I don't miss the Samsung.

The battery lasts for a day and a half, and I am not a lite user. Phone is pretty fast and screen resolution is sharp enough. I am happy I picked up, as I needed the long life battery and I got that with the whole Android package.
Quote:
...using P780 since September. It performs great! I would recommend it for its awesome battery and very good HD IPS display panel. I have posted my feedback earlier already. Only grouse - my version has only 4GB internal memory. The newer ones come with 8GB. So, check it out before you buy.

It is dual stand-by so hence you cannot cannot get a call when the other sim is active.
Quote:
Thanks mate for your reply. Today planning to visit some shops and check in market.
Hi All,

My sister wants to buy a Lenovo P780 (8 GB) in a couple of days. I went through the reviews online, and the only grouse I see among people reviewing it is the poor display under sunlight. Of course, we can't expect the display in a room to match under sunlight, however, is it really pathetic?

I sincerely think that this point has been made up by the reviewers just because they didn't have any thing else negative to write about the phone. Why I doubt the sincerity of these reviews / reviewers; some of the text is common while reviewing all phones, which is just not possible.

Coming back to the topic, her budget is INR 20k; max 21k; are there any alternatives? I also went through Micromax Turbo (featuring Hugh Jackman), but somehow just can't come to terms with Mircomax. I mean, I have seen stacks of Micromax devices lying in Croma for want of repairs (FunBooks, Mobiles, etc.) and can't just get that sight out of my mind.

Lumia, in this range, comes with 512 MB RAM, hence, not interested. May be Windows 8 needs less RAM than Android (as told to me my Croma and Reliance Digital sales team), however, I don't buy that theory since RAM is mainly used to load the programs fast and for effective multitasking.

Any pointers are highly appreciated. As of now, Lenovo P780 it is!
Safety is Param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 18:41   #10221
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 358
Thanked: 166 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

Coming back to the topic, her budget is INR 20k; max 21k; are there any alternatives? I also went through Micromax Turbo (featuring Hugh Jackman), but somehow just can't come to terms with Mircomax. I mean, I have seen stacks of Micromax devices lying in Croma for want of repairs (FunBooks, Mobiles, etc.) and can't just get that sight out of my mind.
Do check out the recent exchange offer from Flipkart on certain phones. I got the Samsung Galaxy S3 from Flipkart by exchanging an old Nokia C3. Overall cost came out to be Rs 20.3k. Not sure if you have a phone to exchange or not but just thought of telling you this option.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 20:16   #10222
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 310
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Hi All, My sister wants to buy a Lenovo P780 (8 GB) in a couple of days. I went through the reviews online, and the only grouse I see among people reviewing it is the poor display under sunlight. Of course, we can't expect the display in a room to match under sunlight, however, is it really pathetic?
The display is much better in sunlight than how people have written in their feedback online. The brightness control is usually put into AUTO mode which increases/decreases based on the ambient light in my case (of course, for better battery life). If this is not OK, you can put the brightness to higher / highest level & it is certainly very good in broad sunlight. I would recommend it!

Hope this helps
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:45   #10223
BHPian
 
Maverick79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 556
Thanked: 512 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

I am kind of stuck between Samsung Grand Quatro and Nokia Lumia 720.

My requirment would be mostly office usage.
1. Outlook usage and a little bit of Whatssapp along with frequent GPS tracking for route queries.
2. Not interested in carrying huge phones which can't fit im my pocket.
Medium size display is enough.
3. Expecting atleast a day long battery.
4. Usage would be kind of little rough too.

Experts pls suggest!
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:53   #10224
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 327
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
I am kind of stuck between Samsung Grand Quatro and Nokia Lumia 720.

My requirment would be mostly office usage.
1. Outlook usage and a little bit of Whatssapp along with frequent GPS tracking for route queries.
2. Not interested in carrying huge phones which can't fit im my pocket.
Medium size display is enough.
3. Expecting atleast a day long battery.
4. Usage would be kind of little rough too.

Experts pls suggest!
HI maverick79,

I would recommend Sony Xperia SP. It's a gem of a phone with a great GPU and fast UI.

You can also check out Lennovo P780 as it is rumored to have a very good battery life
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:29   #10225
BHPian
 
Maverick79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 556
Thanked: 512 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
HI maverick79,

I would recommend Sony Xperia SP. It's a gem of a phone with a great GPU and fast UI.

You can also check out Lennovo P780 as it is rumored to have a very good battery life
Thank you Mr. Beat
I understand the Xperia is more than 20K. My budget is way below 16k. I got an offer from Univercell for exchanging my BB 9300 3G for 2.5k.

More over, I feel Sony's mobiles are more fragile than say, Nokia or to some extent BB. Its purely my perception. I may be wrong. Even few of my colleagues mentioned about the same.

No offense to Sony owners though!
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:50   #10226
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 660
Thanked: 228 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Guys,

Looking for a cheapest mobile with dedicated GPS chip (for Offline GPS), any platform is fine. Please suggest.

TIA,
Rajesh
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:05   #10227
BHPian
 
Turbokick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 512
Thanked: 236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Guys,

Looking for a cheapest mobile with dedicated GPS chip (for Offline GPS), any platform is fine. Please suggest.

TIA,
Rajesh
Lumia 520 will be the best option. It has got dedicated offline mapping facility from nokia.
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 20:04   #10228
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai/ Trichy
Posts: 361
Thanked: 179 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post

Thank you Mr. Beat
I understand the Xperia is more than 20K. My budget is way below 16k. I got an offer from Univercell for exchanging my BB 9300 3G for 2.5k.
Check out the exchange offers on flipkart for Samsung and Nokia phones. Univercell is a rip off.
sunsetorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:54   #10229
BHPian
 
Safety is Param's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cosmopolitan
Posts: 297
Thanked: 186 Times
Default

Thanks Saanil / Null

Finally my sister bought the lenovo P780 8Gb model. It cost her INR 17500/-

Initial impressions are promising though she is not using it full time till she gets a flip cover for the device.

Again, thanks for your inputs!
Safety is Param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 00:11   #10230
BHPian
 
sameervg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Thane
Posts: 88
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Hi,
Today bought Lenovo P780 - 8gb for my wife from Lenovo shop. Cost - 18300/- including scrach guard. First Android in our family so learning in progress :-)
P780 Phone looks promising, will update further details later.
sameervg is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Pictures Thread inder_s1 Shifting gears 13 10th April 2009 21:06
F1-2009...All your Discussions here....! PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 395 4th April 2009 13:58
T-Mobile G1 Android mobile phone introduced yesterday but nobody here seems to care.. srijit Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 7th October 2008 15:57
Decisions... Decisions on choosing a four wheeled friend balashome The Indian Car Scene 47 1st October 2005 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks