Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th April 2010, 12:15   #31
Team-BHP Support

This whole scheme while entirely feasible and sane, happens to be highly illegal. You can be arrested and put away for years. People who ran such scheme have been arrested and put away all over the country. The ISPs and Telcos are always on the watch monitoring suspicious activity that indicate such illegal operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
This is what I am interested in (my interest is of an academic nature!).
- I put up an Asterisk Server on WAN (not LAN) inside India- I have various subscribers who buy pre-paid calling minutes from me.
- The customers connect their SIP hardware or software phones to their internet connection & make calls (Domestic & International).

Is this legal? For this I assume my Asterisk Server has to be SIP Trunked, right? So who are the providers for SIP Trunking in India, if something like this is legal?
Here is the simplest way to interpret this law. A single phone call cannot span both Internet and public switched telephone network (PSTN) of India.

More Info here:
http://www.dot.gov.in/ispt/guidelines.doc
http://www.dot.gov.in/ispt/isptindex.htm

Last edited by Samurai : 27th April 2010 at 13:40.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 14:05   #32
BANNED

For the OP , audiocodes is a good solution ? I always tend to use audiocodes . The cisco is a workable solution , but i did have issues with configuring .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 14:13   #33
Team-BHP Support

I am the OP. You mean Mediant 1000 from Audio Codes? Yeah, we have that too in our US office. That works too. I however went with Avaya DS1 board for the India office, it is working fine now.
Old 29th April 2010, 21:39   #34
BANNED

Yes , I was reffering to the mediant1000 . These days the PRI concept has come down drastically as the ISP providers charge a bomb . These days SIP protocol is fast catching up .

The headache with avaya, cisco , nortel etc is the cost and maintenance charges . They just quote insane charges . Most of the big call centres have actually switched to simple tech .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 29th April 2010 at 21:41.
Old 30th April 2010, 09:38   #35
Team-BHP Support

Well, a media gateway can't replace the functionality of of PBX. Enterprises will still need ACD & CTI. So one needs to look at IP PBXes like Free Switch, Asterisk, etc.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th April 2010 at 09:40.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:21   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, a media gateway can't replace the functionality of of PBX. Enterprises will still need ACD & CTI. So one needs to look at IP PBXes like Free Switch, Asterisk, etc.
Ok , A customer case of mine .

I have an E1 terminated to a mediant which in turn is terminated to a nortel meridian 11c . This is a classic contact centre solution .

Rather than the meridian11c , you can use any samsung , panasonic epabx to integrate .

The advantage with the meridian 11c is that you can use a contact centre solution software ( called as a dialer which does calling reccording automatically ) .

The biggest headache with opensource , although i use open source software like vicidial , asterisk is the configuration and maintenance part .
AAstra ,grandstream have a solution in the form of IP-PBX .Cheap to own and use

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 30th April 2010 at 17:25.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:03   #37
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: How to terminate ISDN E1

It is time to renew my ISDN PRI contract and I am getting quotes from Tata, Airtel, etc.

You know how they put technical blah blah in their quotes. Today I caught this really hilarious feature in Airtel's quote. Whoever wrote this turned the whole telephony basics upside down.

Each channel of ISDN PRI Line has 64Kbps of bandwidth as against 8Kbps of analog telephone line. This results in better voice quality.

I laughed for 5 minutes after reading this....

For the benefit of those who are not technical, let me explain:

1) The term kpbs refers to kilo bits per second. In analog, there are no bits.
2) The digital data is generated by sampling the analog wave 8192 or 8K times per second. Each sample can have a value (to represent voltage levels) from 0 to 256. Therefore is takes 8 bits to represent each value (2 to the power 8). Hence 8192 samples per sec X 8 bit = 64K bits per sec.

8KHz is the least sampling rate for faithful reproduction of human voice. According to Nyquist sampling theorem, the sampling speed has to be twice the maximum audio frequency. For human voice, 4KHz is the max frequency, so 8K is good enough. But it is not good enough for music which will have higher audio frequencies, therefore music is sampled at a much higher rate.

Higher the sampling rate, the digital reproduction will be more closer to the analog voice. Therefore, the 8KHz sampling which create 64kbps of data is the digital reproduction with least quality, but it is good enough for human voice.

All current telephony systems use digital because it can withstand noise much better than analog. While analog has the best quality, it will deteriorate as noise gets added during transmission from point A to point B. Once the noise is added to the analog signal, it is impossible to remove. In digital transmission however, the noise can be easily removed since we are only expecting 1s and 0s, anything else can be filtered out and fresh signal can be created.

These days analog is used only between your landlines and local exchange. That is the only place where noise can be introduced. In case of ISDN PRI, there is no analog component at all, therefore there is no chance for corruption of voice with noise. Instead of saying that, some sales chap decided to get pseudo technical with 8kbps analog vs 64kbps digital.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Instead of saying that, some sales chap decided to get pseudo technical with 8kbps analog vs 64kbps digital.
Sort of a trend these days. Camera ads drool about megapixels and zoom like nothing else.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 15:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Interconnectivity of Offices over VOIP

Reviving an old thread , we need to connect 3 offices of ours within India for Telephony requirements which are interconnected on VPN and have dedicated leased lines .
Can we have one PRI Number from Airtel at one location say Gurgaon and carry extensions of this number to other locations like Chandigarh / Ludhiana on our network . Our customers are Ok in dialling one number even if its not Local .

I have shortlisted CISCO - BE6000S server/ router for main location & will keep IP Phones at other locations .

My Concerns are about Legality of this kind of setup ? can we interconnect our offices and transfer phone calls internally over VOIP on VPN ?

Or Else what can be best workaround to improve level of services besides collaboration across departments.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th October 2015 at 15:21.
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 16:50   #40
Team-BHP Support

Yes, you can do this, it is legal as long all the offices are connected over permanent VPN.

Edit: Just curious, what is the cost of CISCO - BE6000S in India, and for what capacity?

Last edited by Samurai : 5th October 2015 at 16:54.
Old 5th October 2015, 20:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what is the cost of CISCO - BE6000S in India,
Thanks for the confirmation , as of now I have managed around 64 % discount on USD list price ( 10,800) which translated into around Rs 3,5 Lac , 6000S is essentially a small server & router based on 2921 series good for about 150 Connections . Cost referred is for Basic setup with 1 PRI , if we add licences & yearly fees for 35 users its around 4 lac - standard starter pack is now for 35 users @ price of 25 since past week or so .

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th October 2015 at 21:05.
Old 5th October 2015, 20:55   #42
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, that is a very decent price. Your major cost will be the IP phones, especially if you needs 100s of them. Among the IP phones available in India, only the the Cisco ones are really good. I bought some AudioCodes IP phones and found them sub-par. My office mainly has Avaya IP Phones which won't work with non-Avaya PBX.
Old 5th October 2015, 21:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My office mainly has Avaya IP Phones
We need only around 25 so it should not be a major concern . How will you rate Avaya with CISCO , I have about 50 % Lower offer from Avaya - based on their IP Office which is essentially a Audio only solution as against complete Audio + Video + IM from Cisco
Old 5th October 2015, 21:22   #44
Team-BHP Support

Avaya is the most expensive option any day, them being the market leader and all. Since Cisco gives Audio + Video + IM, you are better off sticking to Cisco. Avaya as a product is great, but they have the habit of locking in their customers. When you need any upgrades later, it will cost an arm and a leg.

Couple years ago I asked them for additional extensions on my S8300, they quoted 7K per extension. This is just license, not including the phone. If you are not an existing Avaya customer, avoid becoming one.
Old 6th October 2015, 12:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Interconnectivity of Offices over VOIP

Can we have one PRI Number from Airtel at one location say Gurgaon and carry extensions of this number to other locations like Chandigarh / Ludhiana on our network . Our customers are Ok in dialling one number even if its not Local .

My Concerns are about Legality of this kind of setup ? can we interconnect our offices and transfer phone calls internally over VOIP on VPN ?
The Legal angle of this will not allow you to do this. This is like TEHO which is not allowed in India. As per regulations you should have PRIs in each site for allowing PSTN breakout from that location and you should have proper CSS/Partition setup in case of cisco CM. VOIP to VOIP calling is allowed over VPN as long as you are not merging the calls with public PSTN network across locations. If you need to have a single entry / exit point for your calls like a call center you might need a OSP license or a SP should explicitly provide the same with agreement signed for usage in such manner where the routing ACD is controlled by them.
arun_sharon is offline   Reply With Quote