Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 17th May 2015, 20:07   #1621
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

My 3 year old Mac Book Pro (model 8.1) is getting slower day by day. Like the posts above mentions, even I use a couple of IDE's at a time and I find my Mac to be very slow at responding! So I'm considering now to add some more RAM.

I'm looking at adding 16 GB (2 x 8 GB modules), but Apple's website says that my model supports a maximum of 8 GB (2 x 4 GB modules). After searching for some suggestions, I have seen that people have indeed upgraded to 16 GB. Could anyone here suggest me if I could use a 16 GB on my model? I would do the replacement myself as there are dozens of hot-to videos on it!

Please also suggest which RAM should I buy as there seems to be not many that are compatible with a Mac!

Last edited by joe1980 : 17th May 2015 at 20:09.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 20:13   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Really good for my use. Never felt the need for RAM update after the SSD upgrade. Am using 4GB that came with the machine.

Have to change the battery of my 13" MBP mid 2009 model. Also would like to change the hard disk to SSD. Do you suggest any reliable dealer preferably in Gurgaon or in Delhi where I can get the job done on the spot? The Apple dealers may take at least a couple of days time to do this. Hence this question..
Krishnan V G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 00:29   #1623
Senior - BHPian

In Delhi specifically Nehru Place you can contact F1. They are an apple authorised service provider and might have a branch n GGN also. I have found them to be proactive and reasonably fast in turnaround times. Google them for exact address, IIRC it is Bajaj Bhavan in NP and they are on the first floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan V G View Post
Have to change the battery of my 13" MBP mid 2009 model. Also would like to change the hard disk to SSD. Do you suggest any reliable dealer preferably in Gurgaon or in Delhi where I can get the job done on the spot? The Apple dealers may take at least a couple of days time to do this. Hence this question..
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 08:40   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
My 3 year old Mac Book Pro (model 8.1) is getting slower day by day. Like the posts above mentions, even I use a couple of IDE's at a time and I find my Mac to be very slow at responding! So I'm considering now to add some more RAM.

I'm looking at adding 16 GB (2 x 8 GB modules), but Apple's website says that my model supports a maximum of 8 GB (2 x 4 GB modules). After searching for some suggestions, I have seen that people have indeed upgraded to 16 GB. Could anyone here suggest me if I could use a 16 GB on my model? I would do the replacement myself as there are dozens of hot-to videos on it!

Please also suggest which RAM should I buy as there seems to be not many that are compatible with a Mac!
Can you lookup your Macbook model no? It's usually like "MD314LL/A". Would need this info to lookup the chipset information. Also, more than the RAM (assuming you have 8 GB) swapping the hardisk for an SSD would give you better performance, unless you plan to run RAM hungry virtual machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan V G View Post
You can do it yourself, SSD swap is fairly straightforward. a youtube video on how it's done.
sumithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 13:41   #1625
BHPian

I found this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201300

My Model Identifier is MacBookPro8,1! I was not able to get what configuration my Mac has! Any ideas on where to find that piece of information?
Old 18th May 2015, 14:35   #1626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... My Model Identifier is MacBookPro8,1! I was not able to get what configuration my Mac has! Any ideas on where to find that piece of information?
"About This Mac" (first menu item under the top-left corner apple) will give you all the information.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 22:15   #1627
BHPian

I successfully upgraded my RAM to 16 GB from 4 GB! My concern now is if 16 GB would heat my Mac to levels that were not seen with 4 GB.

So what do you guys normally do with the old RAM. I could preserve it and may be use it later on my old Lenovo T 410s when it chokes. What else could I do with it?

I did notice some improvement in the speed. It is very much to the relief!

Last edited by joe1980 : 18th May 2015 at 22:42.
Old 18th May 2015, 22:49   #1628
Team-BHP Support

You can sell them off online or store it for future use in some other machine. But upgrading to SSD would give you much more benefit is what i feel. Combination of upgraded RAM and SSD would be just awesome.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:31   #1629
BHPian

I decided to swap my old HDD for an SSD. I went for the Samsung EVO series 250 GB SSD drive. I will hopefully find some time this weekend to get it installed on my Mac. I already have some noticeable improvement in the responsiveness of my Mac and I hope that the addition of an SSD will make it even better.

Thanks for all your suggestion! I will now have a better performing Mac for a couple more years!

One question remains though is that what case should I get to use my current HDD as an external storage?

Last edited by joe1980 : 22nd May 2015 at 10:00.
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:32   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... One question remains though is that what case should I get to use my current HDD as an external storage?
A SATA to USB3 case. The internal drive is SATA. USB3 will make it a future proof external drive.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2015, 01:02   #1631
BHPian

I guess I would first need to clone my HDD and I would be needing a SATA to USD cable. Once I have cloned it, I could then go and just replace the old HDD with the new SSD. I will look out for some cases that has a cable that can be used. Any thoughts anybody?
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:57   #1632
BHPian

One thing confuses me. I see most SSD people buy is of 256GB. But the HDD in MBP would be 500GB. Are we not losing 50% of storage here?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 10:03   #1633
BHPian

I was able to successfully replace my old HDD with an SSD. I feel a punch when I open Lightroom 5 to edit some of my photos. I bought a two-in-one case with docking station for SATA drives. I used SuperDuper to first clone my HDD. Everything went smooth.

I did go for the 250 GB version, but I have a 500 GB HDD and I have been using this Mac Book Pro for the last 3 years and my HDD reached only 170 GB of data, so a 250 GB SSD seemed practical. Out of this 170 GB, the photos and videos constitute more than 100 GB of data, so if I move all this to the external HDD, my internal SSD with 250 GB should be more than enough for my needs!
Old 24th May 2015, 22:39   #1634
Senior - BHPian

All depends on an individual's requirements as also on the availability & price of the SSDs in the local market. Taking a cue from 'Jaggu' I bought a 256GB SSD for just under 10K sometime in the first quarter of this year and then a few months down the line a 500GB for approximately 9K. Soon you will find people moving to 1TB SSDs as the price drops and availability eases up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
One thing confuses me. I see most SSD people buy is of 256GB. But the HDD in MBP would be 500GB. Are we not losing 50% of storage here?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 14:45   #1635
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Question Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Dear MacBook folks on the forum :

I'm using a 13" MacBook Pro & I'm having a lot of trouble with glare.

Any suggestions for good anti-glare screens ?

Cost is really not a concern, but effectiveness is !
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote