Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th October 2009, 21:48   #151
BHPian

Did the unthinkable today, installed Win7 because without that my ZuneHD is basically a paperweight. And everything is working fine now.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 00:17   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
I have the same machine 2.6GHz, 2GB ram, 512 MB graphics memory and exactly 16 months old
So we have twins then Any problems with the graphic card yet? Our particular model with 512 graphic memory has OEM problem with screen conking on us. Resolution is changing the whole mother board. I hope you have the extended warranty just incase.

How's the battery charge holding up on yours? mine has gone down to 82% with charging capacity down to 4500mA and standby to max 3.5hrs. Trying to get it replaced under extended warrant although it doesn't covers the battery.
Randhawa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 23:32   #153
BHPian

guys the new 32 and 64 gb iPod touches will be in stock next week
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 03:20   #154
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I am contemplating adding a new mac to my sweet world, recently sold my MacBook Black on TBHP, using one of the older office Black MacBooks am stuck for choice between a Air and MacBook Pro. :(
I would pick the MBP anyday. They are awesome! IMHO, Air is nothing except aesthetics. Atleast, i won't have to carry an additional optical drive
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 14:39   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
So we have twins then Any problems with the graphic card yet? Our particular model with 512 graphic memory has OEM problem with screen conking on us. Resolution is changing the whole mother board. I hope you have the extended warranty just incase.

How's the battery charge holding up on yours? mine has gone down to 82% with charging capacity down to 4500mA and standby to max 3.5hrs. Trying to get it replaced under extended warrant although it doesn't covers the battery.
Yeah, my battery's backup is less than 3 hours. Since I take it along everyday to college, etc., and make the battery almost drain to 0% every next day.. even at home when there's no electricity to charge it.. inverters fail too when you get no elec for 7+ hours a day. lol

I never had any problems with the machine, except a bit of gradient in screen's backlit from day one. Not noticeable at all though. There's no good excuse yet to replace it except for the battery which can be replaced. I'll get it by this year's end.

How do you measure your battery's strength?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
I would pick the MBP anyday. They are awesome! IMHO, Air is nothing except aesthetics. Atleast, i won't have to carry an additional optical drive
Who uses optical drives? I haven't used since almost september 2008 when I reinstalled my Mac OS X. I take it to my college everyday and to any event I attend. Never needed it.

I would prefer Air if you travel a lot and always take your computer with you, and if you're wanting to pay a premium for the same reason and the model badge it carries.

Still, I would buy a Pro any day. Even if it doesn't have an optical drive. Yeah get the pro for the added hardware and proness lol. That's the geek inside you to make the choice.
Gurpartap Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 19:15   #156
Senior - BHPian

@Gurpartap Singh

Down load the app from coconut-flavour.com - [coconutBattery 2.6.5] to see how much juice in your battery is left.

Got mine replaced today under extended APP warranty

Last edited by Randhawa : 10th October 2009 at 19:16.
Old 10th October 2009, 20:26   #157
Senior - BHPian

Default Cool App's you use on your Mac!

Quote:
@Gurpartap Singh

Down load the app from coconut-flavour.com - [coconutBattery 2.6.5] to see how much juice in your battery is left.

hey that's a cool App! Just installed it. Mine's got a 98% juice up after a full charge. Something to be worried about?

Coming to App's for the Macbook - what are the cool/cooler/coolest app's you guys use on your Mac? Maybe we can split it up into:

1. App's you use to improve your personal working efficiency
2. App's you use to have fun
3. App's you use to keep an eye on your Mac's general performance.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 23:39   #158
BHPian

Quote:
@Gurpartap Singh

oo I had that downloaded that thing earlier but didn't remember about it, nor did I ever try it. Thanks ji. See the attachment for mine's info.
Attached Images

Gurpartap Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 23:39   #159
Senior - BHPian

@Red Liner
You need to worry only when it goes under 80% with less then 300 charge cycles. Is 98% your battery capacity or battery charge?

Try this Download smcFanControl for Mac - Control Intel Mac fans to make it run cooler. MacUpdate Mac System Software Downloads it tells you the rpm of each fan.I used it to increase fan speed as mine became a bit nosier and at high speeds it became irritating. My purpose was only to reproduce the noise in front of the Apple tech guys so I can get it replaced. Although I would not suggest any one to use it for longer periods. As it may damage your fan after running at constant/high speed, resulting in fried CPU. It seems to us that our Macs get really hot but the fans kick in at high speed only when the temp goes above 70C. There are few widgets on Apple site, where you can download small apps like temp sensor reading.

@Gurpartap Singh
Baabeyo, yours looks screwed big time and for some reason your original battery capacity is less then mine(yours 5500mAh and mine 5600mAh). They wont change it now, you have to shell 6K+ for that. I don't know if you have tried it though but still try this. Drain you battery until the Mac shuts down by itself then take the battery out and leave it for 5 hrs. Without the battery in Mac and the power cable, hold the power button for ten seconds. Put the battery in after 5hrs and charge it with the Mac switched on while you are using it at home. When your battery shows charged, leave your mac switched on for couple of hours then restart. In my experience, you should see at least 6-8% increase in your battery capacity.

Last edited by Randhawa : 10th October 2009 at 23:58.
Old 11th October 2009, 00:37   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Drain you battery until the Mac shuts down by itself then take the battery out and leave it for 5 hrs. Without the battery in Mac and the power cable, hold the power button for ten seconds. Put the battery in after 5hrs and charge it with the Mac switched on while you are using it at home. When your battery shows charged, leave your mac switched on for couple of hours then restart. In my experience, you should see at least 6-8% increase in your battery capacity.
Sounds nice, hope it works... said something like this to a friend off my hat and it worked.... so all the best!
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:46   #161
BHPian

Got one of these today :
iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img00207200911031650.jpg

Its so shiny and nice. If you havent heard about it already.
Apple - Magic Mouse - The world’s first Multi-Touch mouse.

Its called the magic mouse, it has multi-touch!
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:07   #162
Senior - BHPian

I had a look at this one but my multitouch pad does the work quite well so gave it a miss.

Nevertheless it looks smart
Old 4th November 2009, 12:04   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Coming to App's for the Macbook - what are the cool/cooler/coolest app's you guys use on your Mac?
Third party Apps i love:

Serial Box
File Juicer
Watchmac
Little Snitch
Pastor
KCNScrew
Filespot
Quicksilver
Cocktail
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 14:53   #164
Senior - BHPian

Apple's Boot Camp
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 16:04   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Got one of these today :
Attachment 221186

Its so shiny and nice. If you havent heard about it already.
Apple - Magic Mouse - The world’s first Multi-Touch mouse.

Its called the magic mouse, it has multi-touch!
How much did you pay for it?

Long time passion for owning a Mac. To be frank, only few months back, saw the Mac computers and lappies showcased in Delhi Airport. Have seen MAC only on movies!!!

But now, I have installed MAC in my desktop and happy to browse it.

Yet to get a own laptop for myself, will surely go for a Mac Book Pro.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote