Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 1st October 2015, 16:40   #1696
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Yes for sure! When I use my machine at work, with all the tools that I need, the new fan is absolutely silent when it radiates the heat away. The old fan on the other hand would just run with a loud noise which is something like when a Jen engine starts up!

I did not know about the reset! What I also noticed while I replaced the fan is a think layer of dust close to where the fan exhausts heat to the outside. The heat sink was fully covered with roughly 1cm thick dust! It could also be a reason why my old fan had to work so hard!
Quite natural for the dust to gather in that area. Could the problem have resolved if dust was cleared and the fan cleaned with some DIY?
However, I remember it mentioned in the manual that it may so happen that the fan might run continuously in your Macbook. So, resolve this issue, you need to do a reset. The process includes removing the battery for about 20 or 30 seconds and pressing the power button on the laptop.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 17:18   #1697
BHPian

Folks, Need your suggestion / opinion on Format that I need to choose for my external hard disk.

I already have 1TB WD My passport with NTFS format with an only downside of Read ONLY from native Mac OS.
Recently procured one another external hard disk 1.5TB WD My Passport Ultra and now I'm in a dilemma on choosing the format. I'm worries about the file size limitation if I go with FAT32. On the other hand my concern is with reliability and bugs if I go with NTFS and use NTFS-3G and MacFuse.
Appreciate expert opinions and pull me out of this.

PS: My requirement is that I need to use my hard drive on both my Mac and PC (I know its obvious here)

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 18:34   #1698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
PS: My requirement is that I need to use my hard drive on both my Mac and PC (I know its obvious here)
For a common share, I still work with the age old FAT32. Works well for me. For timemachine back-ups, I go with OSX formats.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 19:34   #1699
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers!
Use exFat. Or extended Fat. Avoids the 4Gb limit of Fat and 100% compatible with both systems.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:56   #1700
BHPian

I have recently got the Macbook pro, and upgraded the OS to El Capitan. The initial experience is good, though I am still finding my way around. I would be using it for browsing and office work (ie. documents, excels and powerpoints)

Just wanted to know if the applecare protection for 3 years is required, and if there are any deals around for this.

Also any must have apps required, prefer to keep it stock until I understand the system better
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 13:45   #1701
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Just wanted to know if the applecare protection for 3 years is required, and if there are any deals around for this.
Very much. Definitely helps in a big way. You dont have to buy it at the time of getting your machine. But do get it before the one year warranty expires.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:52   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
I have recently got the Macbook pro, and upgraded the OS to El Capitan. The initial experience is good, though I am still finding my way around. I would be using it for browsing and office work (ie. documents, excels and powerpoints)

Also any must have apps required, prefer to keep it stock until I understand the system better
I fully endorse Ampere's opinion - always buy AppleCare, even more so if it is a portable device such as a notebook or an iDevice. Sorry I am not savvy enough to source for deals on AppleCare.

Re. essential apps, you would of course buy a copy of Microsoft Office if you need it for work. Maybe you could charm your employer into paying for it *grin*.

Other than that, if you do plan on using it for personal purposes, I would recommend you download VLC. It's a great app that can play practically any audio or video format effortlessly.

If you are into BitTorrenting, I would recommend Transmission.

Firefox would be a great download as an alternate browser.

The first thing I would ensure is that I never download or install Adobe Flash (or if it is already installed, uninstall it completely and immediately).

Do not download or use Google Chrome - it is just spyware as far as I am concerned. You might be tempted to use Chrome for Flash-enabled websites since I asked you to uninstall Flash itself, but I am of the opinion that Flash is completely unnecessary and if a website depends on Flash for its existence, I live without that website or application.

Download SuperDuper for backing up your HDD. Yes you can use Apple's built-in Time Machine, but I prefer SuperDuper.

Download MalwareBytes for Mac. It's not an antivirus or anything, it just is a useful check to see if any app or website has installed any AdWare on your machine.

Do not ever ever ever ever ever ever download MacKeeper. It's a nasty piece of software. You'll keep seeing a lot of ads for MacKeeper. Run away as fast as you can.

You would of course install support apps for any other hardware you have, such as a Logitech Harmony Remote or a Garmin GPS or some fancy multi-function printer/scanner/fax/toaster/refrigerator of course.

The one thing you do not need on a Mac is an antivirus or external firewall or some sort of a protection suite from any of the known antivirus companies. No AVG no McAfee, no Norton, no Kaspersky, no nothing, irrespective of what anyone tells you.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 3rd November 2015 at 15:58.
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:54   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very much. Definitely helps in a big way. You dont have to buy it at the time of getting your machine. But do get it before the one year warranty expires.
Thanks, did not look at that, so I shall procure it before the 1 yr warranty lapses.

Been a Microsoft guy since the MS DOS days, I need to understand the Mac ways of doing things, right from setup, maintenance and apps.

@Tilt: Thx for your inputs. Yes thats the only one I have installed so far, apart from the Apple apps and OS upgrade. This is a personal one, trying to make it also do the official work as well. That way I do not require to carry my office laptop.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 3rd November 2015 at 16:01.
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:21   #1704
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats on your new purchase. I have two kinds of opinions on Apple Care.

1. If you feel savvy enough to open/close your device at a future date- day 3 years from now, don't buy it. I have a mid 2011 imac and had the same dilema, but nothing happened in first year so thought of not buying Apple Care. I invested that money into buying an SSD for the same price.

2. Newer iDevices have glued displays - eg the slim iMacs and troubleshooting them on a hardware level is tricky. It'll probably be best to get AppleCare since the devices are becoming slimmer day by day.

Also, if there is some defect, Apple does have replacement programs for the affected devices even if out of warranty. My cousin had his HDD and graphics card replaces under such a program.

Regarding apps,
1.Safari will give you the most battery life.
2.vlc is a must have to watch .mkv formats as well as others.
3.I prefer Pages over Word and Excel over Numbers. Though my dad uses Google docs for work. So it's down to preference and own familiarity.
4. Photos app is an excellent way to back up your photos from multiple sources.
5. Use a USB external disk to use with Time machine for backups.
5.The Unarchiver (on app store) for zip files/rar etc
6. Android file transfer if you have Android phone ( a bit buggy though)
7. Flutter app to control vlc/iTunes using gestures, eg if watching a movie from a distance.
8. Twitter/Skype etc as per need
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:44   #1705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks, Need your suggestion / opinion on Format that I need to choose for my external hard disk.
=========

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Use exFat. Or extended Fat. Avoids the 4Gb limit of Fat and 100% compatible with both systems.
Yes exFAT is the format to have if you want compatibility, only downside the inbuilt back up Timemachine will not work. Way to overcome this is to partition the external disk into 2, one with exFat and the other in OSx journaled for timemachine.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I fully endorse Ampere's opinion - always buy AppleCare, even more so if it is a portable device such as a notebook or an iDevice. Sorry I am not savvy enough to source for deals on AppleCare.
When you are reaching 1 year mark, just blindly get apple care package. It is a life saver, a screen defect can be as costly as the machine! With apple care things are taken care!

Quote:

2. Newer iDevices have glued displays - eg the slim iMacs and troubleshooting them on a hardware level is tricky. It'll probably be best to get AppleCare since the devices are becoming slimmer day by day.

Also, if there is some defect, Apple does have replacement programs for the affected devices even if out of warranty. My cousin had his HDD and graphics card replaces under such a program.
Replacement programs are stringent and will be limited to those devices, no amount of begging pleading or haggling works here. So i would still recommend going for applecare.

As far as softwares are concerned, don't install stuff if you don't need it. That is the best way to keep any device safe. Specific needs check in forums and threads like this and then proceed.

I use MS Office, Chrome (now not much), archiver for zip thingies and then few camera apps that came with the canon. Never felt the need for anything else in the last 5 years or so.

One another thing that i would suggest is Timemachine back ups, it is a must have and is a savior when your machine decides to pack up or you mess it up beyond repair or even in the case of you replacing/upgrading the machine! It is just like iPhone backup and recovery, will give you the new machine at the exact same way the old one was set up, including passwords!
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:00   #1706
BHPian

Hi Guys, letting go of my 5 year old MacBook Pro. How do I delete everything and go back to original setting?
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:48   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi Guys, letting go of my 5 year old MacBook Pro. How do I delete everything and go back to original setting?
Boot by pressing option key. Select utilities from the menu -> disk utility -> Erase. This will completely reformat your drive, erasing all your data. Then reinstall os x. To reinstall you might have to make a boot able pendrive/ internet recovery. Internet recovery will take ages if you don't have high speed net.
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:11   #1708
BHPian

Seems quite a chore. I don't have much on it so is it safe to dispose 'as is'?

Quote:
Boot by pressing option key. Select utilities from the menu -> disk utility -> Erase. This will completely reformat your drive, erasing all your data. Then reinstall os x. To reinstall you might have to make a boot able pendrive/ internet recovery. Internet recovery will take ages if you don't have high speed net.
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:33   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I fully endorse Ampere's opinion - always buy AppleCare, even more so if it is a portable device such as a notebook or an iDevice.
Quote:
Congrats on your new purchase. I have two kinds of opinions on Apple Care....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
When you are reaching 1 year mark, just blindly get apple care package. It is a life saver, a screen defect can be as costly as the machine! With apple care things are taken care!
Thanks for the inputs. That was helpful to start. The other question I was about ask was on the recovery when I saw the above post.

I think its a shift in thought process, though some are straight forward and intuitive, the rest of it needs to looked around.
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:53   #1710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Seems quite a chore. I don't have much on it so is it safe to dispose 'as is'?
If you can clear off the stored docs etc and then delete your account (remember to create a new admin account before this), you should be fine. If you are really finicky and paranoid format and reinstall

Quote:

I think its a shift in thought process, though some are straight forward and intuitive, the rest of it needs to looked around.
Even i had this in my mind when i moved, later realized Mac is actually designed for simple people like me. It is quite intuitive and uncomplicated and even the cmd vs ctrl just takes few days to master. Best of all it has superb user community like this one, if you wish to master technical and non technical stuff.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote