Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 3rd November 2015, 19:34   #1711
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
PS: My requirement is that I need to use my hard drive on both my Mac and PC (I know its obvious here)
NTFS is fine if you install paragon. Its a great, light-weight software and you can use your mac to connect - read and write on NTFS disks. You can get it here. Check it out first since there's a trial period of 10 days.
https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Just wanted to know if the applecare protection for 3 years is required, and if there are any deals around for this.
Also any must have apps required, prefer to keep it stock until I understand the system better
I'd say its an absolute must raghu. Please get it before the 1 year warranty runs out. I had my logic board and touch pad replaced for free. My friend had an issue with his display and had that replaced. If not for apple care these changes would've meant a considerable expense. Made in China Apple is not as reliable and long lasting as it once used to be, helped along by the part replacement economy /ethic instead of repair.
Apps :
Photoshop, Aperture,Lightroom for photography (paid)
Calibre - great sw to have if you own a kindle (free)
Popcorn time - watch movies online without downloading (free)
Skype for calling (free)
Sketch-up for interiors / architectural design stuff (free-trial)
Dropbox, G-drive, VLC etc (free)

Flight simulation
flightgear
X-plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi Guys, letting go of my 5 year old MacBook Pro. How do I delete everything and go back to original setting?
Do yourself a favour pal, Please erase your data. Its a simple 5 minute job!
APPS>DISK UTILITY>ERASE
Once I picked up an ipad mini from a guy on olx and turns out he hadn't erased it. It had auto logins to his email accounts and various credit and debit card information plus bank details and what not. It was his lucky day, he just didn't know it.
cheers
famousshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:39   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Seems quite a chore. I don't have much on it so is it safe to dispose 'as is'?
Totally depends on the sensitivity of data. Another option is to make a new user with admin rights and delete the first user. Although in this case, data is not erased completely from the HDD, but instead allocated as free. So next time data needs to be written, it is overwritten on this. A person could possibly recover the data with the right tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
Do yourself a favour pal, Please erase your data. Its a simple 5 minute job!
APPS>DISK UTILITY>ERASE

You can't erase the disk on which OS is installed.

Last edited by blackwasp : 3rd November 2015 at 19:41.
blackwasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:50   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
You can't erase the disk on which OS is installed.
Yes, thats true. A work around is to make a bootable pen drive with os / take it to the nearest service centre and do a format and fresh install of the os. Will be worth it imho.
famousshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:50   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I have recently got the Macbook pro, and upgraded the OS to El Capitan. The initial experience is good, though I am still finding my way around. I would be using it for browsing and office work (ie. documents, excels and powerpoints)

Just wanted to know if the applecare protection for 3 years is required, and if there are any deals around for this.

Also any must have apps required, prefer to keep it stock until I understand the system better
I am not really a apple care guy and i am note sure what the apple care prices are, most of the software issues you come across can be fixed by googling and i haven't seen any hardware issues as such in my 5 year old mac book pro . Whatever it comes they are easily DIY , during last fiver years i replaced the HDD, water split keyboard, water split mother board and upgrade the RAM from 4 to 8gb .

Regarding the keyboard i checked with apple store for replacement and they said it would cost me 34k . Checked amazon.com for replacement keyboard it was 4500 and and tool kit for 300, my friend brought that from US and a three hours job during Saturday ..voila save me 29K
csnanjappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:04   #1715
BHPian

Guys my 2013 air got blacked out all of a sudden. Currently the laptop is at apple service center. I had a chat with call center and they told me to get it diagnosed and it seems a possible mother board issue.
I googled it and happen to understand that it is a known issue in 2013 air. Is that so? While chatting with the call center guy, he accidently told me that there was a recall of 2013 model some times back. He asked me to get the status from service center and report it to them accordingly.
Fingers crossed, still the laptop is at service and I am waiting for diagnosis results.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 17:16   #1716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
While chatting with the call center guy, he accidently told me that there was a recall of 2013 model some times back. He asked me to get the status from service center and report it to them accordingly.
Fingers crossed, still the laptop is at service and I am waiting for diagnosis results.
If it is part of recall they would replace the board free. I think they might be referring to this https://www.apple.com/asia/support/m...ir-flashdrive/
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 16:47   #1717
Senior - BHPian

I came across this on amazon.in today. I know its an older model. Non retina etc. But for a 1st time mac owner or a student etc. Its a steal.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-1446981419716.jpg  

h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 23:39   #1718
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Exclamation Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Went with a pair of Corsair's Value-Select DDR3L 1.35V 1,600 MHz 8 GB RAM modules.
The machine appears to be working fine with 16 GB despite the 8 GB limit mentioned in Apple's support web-site.
These Corsair Value-Select RAM modules failed a couple of days back ( installed in July, failed in November ).
The MBP quit without warning & the beep code indicated failure of the RAM modules.
Thankfully had a couple of 8 GB modules from Transcend lying around - the MBP appears to be working fine with these.
When using the Corsair RAM, on a couple of occasions have noticed small rectangular patches of 'snow' ( corrupted video RAM ) on the display.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 12:09   #1719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
But for a 1st time mac owner or a student etc. Its a steal
50 grand for a mac book pro running an Intel chip that is 2 generations behind does not sound like a good deal to me. Besides; this particular series of Pro's were prone to the video card failing. Apple did replace the logic board for free, even for Pro's that were outside warranty.

Question to the mac community. I was considering the mid spe Mac Mini but no longer think it is a good buy. Its two generations behind on the hardware and for a little more money, I can get a fairly up to date 11" Air. Now the question is, is 128gig of ssd storage enough over a 3-4 year period? I am going to have a dedicated hard drive dock to store content like photos and videos.

On getting a good deal; I've scouted around at some of the popular brick and mortar stores and none of them can get close to the deals for the Air on e commerce sites, Amazon being the best. Is there any place else I should check?
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 12:13   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Question to the mac community. I was considering the mid spe Mac Mini but no longer think it is a good buy. Its two generations behind on the hardware and for a little more money, I can get a fairly up to date 11" Air. Now the question is, is 128gig of ssd storage enough over a 3-4 year period? I am going to have a dedicated hard drive dock to store content like photos and videos.

On getting a good deal; I've scouted around at some of the popular brick and mortar stores and none of them can get close to the deals for the Air on e commerce sites, Amazon being the best. Is there any place else I should check?
I would not recommend the Air.

When I was in the market for a laptop, I researched extensively on the Air vs. Pro debate and found almost every Air owner having reliability issues. From overheating to motherboard failures, most Airs were at the service center within the year.

Why are you considering the Air: price or size? The 2013 onwards MBP (the one with retina display) is just as thin as the Air (just that the Air has the front front slanting).

If MacBook, then Pro.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 12:31   #1721
BHPian

Quote:
I can get a fairly up to date 11" Air. Now the question is, is 128gig of ssd storage enough over a 3-4 year period? I am going to have a dedicated hard drive dock to store content like photos and videos.

Air is quite good. The ssd itself will make the difference over mac mini. 128 GB might seem less, but if you can store movies/photos on an external disk it's more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

When I was in the market for a laptop, I researched extensively on the Air vs. Pro debate and found almost every Air owner having reliability issues. From overheating to motherboard failures, most Airs were at the service center within the year.

If MacBook, then Pro.
Hmm. My opinion begs to differ a bit. In case of non retina Pro vs Air, Air wins hands down. In case of retina Pro, one must choose the pros and cons - Pro has more ram, faster processors and retina display. Air has a stellar battery life and small footprint (though marginally) over the Pro. And if you see the price difference, getting a 256Gb Air over the base Pro makes sense. 15" Pro is in another class. Also if one wants absolutely portability, 11" Air is compact yet has same internals as the 13" Air.
blackwasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 14:20   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
price or size?
Price. The Air is the cheapest and most up to date entry level mac. 2013 Pro's aren't worth it any more. Current Pro's are way out of budget for me and is not going to see the kind of use a Pro is designed for.
Old 30th November 2015, 15:05   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Price. The Air is the cheapest and most up to date entry level mac. 2013 Pro's aren't worth it any more. Current Pro's are way out of budget for me and is not going to see the kind of use a Pro is designed for.
Quote:

Why are you considering the Air: price or size? The 2013 onwards MBP (the one with retina display) is just as thin as the Air (just that the Air has the front front slanting).

If MacBook, then Pro.
My 2 years old Air has MLB (Main Logic Board) gone Kaput. After this failure I have lost all trust with Apple and planning to stay away from them.
By far I am not very happy with their dealership experience as well. Though I did not face but saw arrogant service advisors at iCare(Imagine store) service center, Bangalore.

BTW I have got a quote of 47k for bringing my Air back to life.
Big issue is I lost my 3 months worth of work on a prototype.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 30th November 2015 at 15:06.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 16:15   #1724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Question to the mac community. I was considering the mid spe Mac Mini but no longer think it is a good buy. Its two generations behind on the hardware and for a little more money, I can get a fairly up to date 11" Air.

If you are not looking for a laptop, I would say Mini is great product. I have been on it (even as I type this now) for last 5 years. You can spend the cost you save by adding an SSD to the device. (like what I did). Its fantastic desktop solution. (I have pushed the specs to max by a 500GB SSD and 8GB on DDR3 @ 1333).

It boots El-Capitan in 20 seconds! And not to mention, I have been using it day in and day out for all my home computing needs.

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2015 at 16:17.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 09:38   #1725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are not looking for a laptop
This purchase is primarily for home use and will be replacing my 8 year old PC. Portability comes as a bonus and is something my wife needs once in a while, for freelance work. I am going to be hooking it up to an external display most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
My 2 years old Air has MLB (Main Logic Board) gone Kaput.
BTW I have got a quote of 47k for bringing my Air back to life.
Failure of electronics can happen any time and for any laptop. Nowadays, it is all down to your luck on how long a device lasts. This is not a fault of the Air. I guess I'll have to factor the cost of Apple Care as well. The Apple parts bin is known to be expensive. An equivalent part for a non Apple laptop will set you back maybe around 20-20k or more, depending on what the laptop is.

In 2 years of using the Air, what are your comments on performance?