Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 11:32   #1726
BHPian
 
Speed Pujari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 429
Thanked: 385 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This purchase is primarily for home use and will be replacing my 8 year old PC. Portability comes as a bonus and is something my wife needs once in a while, for freelance work. I am going to be hooking it up to an external display most of the time.



Failure of electronics can happen any time and for any laptop. Nowadays, it is all down to your luck on how long a device lasts. This is not a fault of the Air. I guess I'll have to factor the cost of Apple Care as well. The Apple parts bin is known to be expensive. An equivalent part for a non Apple laptop will set you back maybe around 20-20k or more, depending on what the laptop is.

In 2 years of using the Air, what are your comments on performance?
The MLB issue in Air seems to be common and there are lawsuits against Apple regarding this. Just google it and you may get various threads.

On the contrary, I have a 2008 iMac which is still running strong. I am surprised by this machine's capability which is able to handle 45 MB images without a blink.

The Air performance was pretty good given that it was SSD. I never faced any issue related to performance whatsoever. The only issue I felt was the monitor calibration and display quality. The display quality was below standard and nowhere close to the 2008 21.5 inch iMac or current generation Vaio laptops, forget about the Retinas.
The same color profile on both the machines(Air and iMac) displayed different colors which is highly frustrating at times. The iMac has 100% accuracy matching my DSLR LCD feedback.
Also, at times you may feel a little shortage of space (I had the 128GB) and you need to be careful with applications installation. Lately, Eclipse installation with few plugins made this laptop a thinker. I accept that I pushed it beyond limits. But my 4GB iMac happily runs Hadoop, Eclipse, PostgreSQL, Spark, SPRING, all in parallel (with lightweight applications) without a frown.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 1st December 2015 at 11:33.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 11:37   #1727
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 2,488 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Price. The Air is the cheapest and most up to date entry level mac. 2013 Pro's aren't worth it any more. Current Pro's are way out of budget for me and is not going to see the kind of use a Pro is designed for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Failure of electronics can happen any time and for any laptop. Nowadays, it is all down to your luck on how long a device lasts. This is not a fault of the Air. I guess I'll have to factor the cost of Apple Care as well. The Apple parts bin is known to be expensive. An equivalent part for a non Apple laptop will set you back maybe around 20-20k or more, depending on what the laptop is.
Agree; but the Air is especially the black sheep of the Mac family. I don't intend to dissuade you from MacBooks but Air is not a good bargain. A lesser upfront cost but also much less reliability.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 14:24   #1728
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,878
Thanked: 1,479 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
The MLB issue in Air seems to be common and there are lawsuits against Apple regarding this. Just google it and you may get various threads.
If there is a genuine issue with the logic board, Apple will issue a recall. They are generally very good at this and customers who are out of warranty are also entitled to a free replacement. This is something I have not come across with any other computer brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
On the contrary, I have a 2008 iMac which is still running strong.
A buddy has the same machine and it is a work horse. He replaced it with the new iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Lately, Eclipse installation with few plugins made this laptop a thinker. I accept that I pushed it beyond limits.
This should definitely not happen on something that is supposed to be a lot faster than your 2008 iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Agree; but the Air is especially the black sheep of the
Oh Boy.

I have decided to take your advice and keep this purchase on hold.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:32   #1729
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

hi guys, got myself a MBPr 256GB few days back. need help with a basic image editing app, something like paint to add text, lines etc in the image. I do not need layers and all as for complicated stuff i can use photoshop.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:01   #1730
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
hi guys, got myself a MBPr 256GB few days back. need help with a basic image editing app, something like paint to add text, lines etc in the image. I do not need layers and all as for complicated stuff i can use photoshop.
You can use preview for that.

Preview -> Tools -> Annotate
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:21   #1731
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 537
Thanked: 738 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Folks,

Are anybody using app for clearing up unwanted and duplicate stuff ? I have hard of cleanMymac . How good is it? Any other better suggestions ?
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:37   #1732
BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 979
Thanked: 1,202 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Agree; but the Air is especially the black sheep of the Mac family. I don't intend to dissuade you from MacBooks but Air is not a good bargain. A lesser upfront cost but also much less reliability.
I use a iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro, MBP Retina and a personal MacBook Air. The Air is literally touring the world and an amazing machine, I do video editing on it and never faced any issues with it. In-fact I am most impressed by its abilities and battery life since i use only that while traveling. So will respectfully disagree with you.

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_1332.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks,

Are anybody using app for clearing up unwanted and duplicate stuff ? I have hard of cleanMymac . How good is it? Any other better suggestions ?
Don't install shady apps which you don't know the source, and this problem should not occur. Clean My Mac seems very dicey to me. Even though I can get away with just clearing out my Downloads and Trash every few months. I feel a clean install every year or two is godsend.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:41   #1733
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 537
Thanked: 738 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Don't install shady apps which you don't know the source, and this problem should not occur. Clean My Mac seems very dicey to me. Even though I can get away with just clearing out my Downloads and Trash every few months. I feel a clean install every year or two is godsend.
I do not install any apps except for work ones or some game apps for my niece. I do clean my downloads and trash but the culprit here is the images. I believe it creates duplicate copies of images which takes up some space. I am planning to do a clean install now and see after taking a backup of my data.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:45   #1734
BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 979
Thanked: 1,202 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I do not install any apps except for work ones or some game apps for my niece. I do clean my downloads and trash but the culprit here is the images. I believe it creates duplicate copies of images which takes up some space. I am planning to do a clean install now and see after taking a backup of my data.
I think its about managing Photos and iTunes, because thats usually the culprit, plus some software is just badly written and leaves a lot of crap around even when you delete it. Check your Photos import settings, and move everything to iCloud and check the 'optimize storage' option which should do the trick.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:46   #1735
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 537
Thanked: 738 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I think its about managing Photos and iTunes, because thats usually the culprit, plus some software is just badly written and leaves a lot of crap around even when you delete it. Check your Photos import settings, and move everything to iCloud and check the 'optimize storage' option which should do the trick.
Thanks man. Will try this out today and update!
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:54   #1736
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
You can use preview for that.

Preview -> Tools -> Annotate
Thanks. I did edited the image but after editing the image is not getting saved and i just see the rainbow cursor when i try to close the preview applications. am i doing something wrong ? i had to force close the app.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 13:13   #1737
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Run a disk ultility once to repair any permission issue.

The rotating wheel usually is rare, especially in preview. So I think it's a permissions issue. Just run the repair disk permission first and try again.

Usually save from file menu should work or try save as / export.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 23rd December 2015 at 13:16. Reason: Spell check
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:45   #1738
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Run a disk ultility once to repair any permission issue.

The rotating wheel usually is rare, especially in preview. So I think it's a permissions issue. Just run the repair disk permission first and try again.

Usually save from file menu should work or try save as / export.
thanks man, i guess it was a permission issue. I copied the image on desktop and then i was able to edit and save it.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 22:43   #1739
BHPian
 
kkkkkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 160
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

I ended up picking up the 15 inch retina MBP last week.
Im trying to run bootcamp, but thanks to my shitty connection, the drivers never download. I did manage to get the bootcamp drivers directly from apple site, but, bootcamp does not give me the option to create a bootable windows USB.
Is there any other way to create a bootable windows disk other than bootcamp?
kkkkkaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 13:48   #1740
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 660 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Any recommendations on a good case for MacBook Air 13.3? We have one, but the fit isn't tight, either layers keep moving around as we open/close. The same brand is a good fit for the MacBook Pro 13. Not being a tight fit is defeating the purpose of having a case at the first place
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Safety , Think Abs !!! Beemer Street Experiences 73 28th November 2016 19:00
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again! rahul_intlad Commercial Vehicles 89 14th April 2016 12:09
Think Hyundai cars are slow? Think again. drifter The International Automotive Scene 3 27th September 2005 17:00
Think your a driving game/sim freak? Think Again.. Pferdestärke Shifting gears 10 25th June 2004 00:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:19.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks