Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th February 2016, 14:43   #1741
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Check out Incipio covers. They're the best out there for Mac. Been using it for a long time now. Don't know their availability in India, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Any recommendations on a good case for MacBook Air 13.3? We have one, but the fit isn't tight, either layers keep moving around as we open/close. The same brand is a good fit for the MacBook Pro 13. Not being a tight fit is defeating the purpose of having a case at the first place
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 11:29   #1742
BHPian

Around September 2015, I replaced my then 3 and a half year old Mac Book Pro's HDD and the fan. It was working frictionless since then. Two days ago I heard some rattling noise from within my Mac as I was carrying it from one desk to another. Imagine putting a screw in a plastic box and shaking it! My Mac sounded exactly like that every time I shook it.

I just realized that the smcFan control shows the fan speed at 000 rpm.

Name:  Screen Shot 20160401 at 19.35.49.png
Views: 390
Size:  10.0 KB

I was watching videos on Youtube and I noticed that my Mac was overheating and the performance was getting sluggish. My Mac went off a couple of times because of the excessive heat.

So my guess is that the fan has fried up and will not work anymore and needs to be replaced. What do you guys think? Anyone faced the same situation?

Any idea as to how long will the non retina MBP 13" models will be sold? I guess they are the 2012 models. I really like them for two reasons, economical and you can spec them up. Rumor's predict that the next gen MBP's will be launched in a couple of months and I seriously want that Apple does not stop the sale of the 2012 models. They are the only ones that could be spec'd up after purchasing.

Last edited by joe1980 : 2nd April 2016 at 11:41.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:21   #1743
BHPian

Have a query about Apple Care - This is for a Macbook Pro.

How many of you have purchased the extended +2 yrs Apple care and never used it ?
Almost everyone raves about Apple care. Are Mac books so vulnerable that they inevitably fail after the first year ?

In my case , I still have a good number of months left to decide whether the 17k for 2yrs is worth it or not.
Are there alternative insurance options in India ?

Note: Mine is a basic model MD101 13". I have swapped the ram to 16gb + swapped the original HDD with a 500 GB SSD, so I assume the disk wont be covered by apple care anyways. Have the samsung warranty for that.

Not sure about the frequency of motherboard/ processor / display failures..
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:48   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

How many of you have purchased the extended +2 yrs Apple care and never used it ?
Almost everyone raves about Apple care. Are Mac books so vulnerable that they inevitably fail after the first year ?

In my case , I still have a good number of months left to decide whether the 17k for 2yrs is worth it or not.
Are there alternative insurance options in India ?

Note: Mine is a basic model MD101 13". I have swapped the ram to 16gb + swapped the original HDD with a 500 GB SSD, so I assume the disk wont be covered by apple care anyways. Have the samsung warranty for that.

Not sure about the frequency of motherboard/ processor / display failures..
My personal experience using a MBP for almost 4 years and having owned a Lenovo Thinkpad series before, I can state that the Apple care is totally unnecessary. Both my Lenovo T series that I had earlier did not survive more than 2 years. The display was completely gone and I had to dump them.

I got my MBP which is a late 2011 model some time around June 2012 and since then I have never experienced any issues. Even I upgraded my RAM, HDD, the fan. But it is going rock solid. Even if I buy another Mac, I will stay away from buying the Apple care.
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:16   #1745
Senior - BHPian

I was very glad I had the extended warranty on my first MBP. In the third year the SD card reader failed which meant a complete new motherboard! Would have cost nearly as much as a new MBP but I got mine fixed for free.

Even so when I bought my last MBP about 8 months ago I skipped it. Mainly because I bought it in the Netherlands and the extended warranty doesn't apply overseas
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 00:05   #1746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Around September 2015, I replaced my then 3 and a half year old Mac Book Pro's HDD and the fan. It was working frictionless since then. Two days ago I heard some rattling noise from within my Mac as I was carrying it from one desk to another. Imagine putting a screw in a plastic box and shaking it! My Mac sounded exactly like that every time I shook it.

I just realized that the smcFan control shows the fan speed at 000 rpm.

I was watching videos on Youtube and I noticed that my Mac was overheating and the performance was getting sluggish. My Mac went off a couple of times because of the excessive heat.

So my guess is that the fan has fried up and will not work anymore and needs to be replaced. What do you guys think? Anyone faced the same situation?
I was right! I just managed to replace the fan and my MBP is back again... Rocking and Rolling. I hope to clock a couple more years with my MBP!
Old 8th April 2016, 01:11   #1747
BHPian

Is anyone on this thread using Hackintosh systems?
I would really like to build one, it would be very helpful if someone could tell me how reliable they are.
johannskaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 10:44   #1748
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
I would really like to build one, it would be very helpful if someone could tell me how reliable they are.

Building one of those is a real task. Unless absolutely necessary, id suggest staying away from building one. The amount of time you will end up putting in, is generally not worth the result. Its worth it, only if you require some specific applications available only on mac, and dont want to buy one of them.

Anyway, start looking for similar hardware like yours on tonymacx86 or insanelymac. Every build is different, no specifc steps as such.
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 12:52   #1749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

I had taken Apple care when the original 1 year warranty was about to get over, and during the extended warranty period one fine morning i saw a line running from top to bottom of my screen. This was after a international trip where i had carried the MBP. The issue was diagnosed as display, still not sure if it was due to some impact or random failure.

To cut the long story short, though initially local apple service was not ready to replace (i had an earlier dent on the corner of screen aluminium lid), finally agreed after some sweet talk escalations to apple india. In fact once apple india got involved things moved smooth and a 40k screen was replaced free of cost. Screen included the dented cover also so that ~12k really helped me.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 13:19   #1750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post

You can possibly run a good hackintosh system but you'll have to match components. The latest macOS versions support a lot of graphic cards too. But don't attempt on a laptop as it'll be problematic. Eg we tried on Toshiba U840 and wifi and built in keyboard not functioning. So be prepared to troubleshoot. Getting to boot itself will be a challenge but with correct motherboards it might just be doable. Ultimately you'll end up with a lot of wires, frequent troubleshooting and dilemma on system updates. Also it's illegal to run a hackintosh. And with all this trouble you won't end up saving more than 10-15k rupees. As an experiment you can try this to understand how things work etc, but as a main system it will be highly unstable. There will be many people who'll say they have stable system running, but will they have the sleek all in one form factor of iMacs? -No.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 13:19   #1751
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Building one of those is a real task. Unless absolutely necessary, id suggest staying away from building one. The amount of time you will end up putting in, is generally not worth the result.
Why not?

There are thousands people around the world who build their own PCs from parts and when Windows crashes on it, they somehow earn the right to abuse Windows and Microsoft.

Why not extend this courtesy to Apple? Build you own Macs to run OS-X on it, when it crashes, you earn the right to blame Apple.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 13:56   #1752
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why not?

There are thousands people around the world who build their own PCs from parts and when Windows crashes on it, they somehow earn the right to abuse Windows and Microsoft.

Why not extend this courtesy to Apple? Build you own Macs to run OS-X on it, when it crashes, you earn the right to blame Apple.

Possibilities are endless, undoubtedly. But apple officially denies any support to 3rd party builds (its illegal Infact) . The reason why OSX runs so well is because it is specifically designed to run on the hardware.

For instance, i have windows on bootcamp on my mbp retina. Some apps manage to scale the resolution, while a lot of them look like absolute crap.

So, if you really want a perfect hackintosh, the hardware needs to closely resemble to one of the macs. Specific custom desktop, and a few recommended laptops are listed on the hackintosh websites to pick from. But yet, you will have a few problems, and will not be hundred percent reliable.

And if you want another OS just so that you can escape windows, nothing beats linux. Try elementary OS, it has an amazing interface.
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 14:12   #1753
BHPian

I completely agree with the post above. It is the combination of the hardware and the OS is what is makes the "Wow" factor with the Mac! This is pretty much one of the reasons why Apple is not selling Mac OS separately. This is where the difference is between a PC and a Mac.
Old 8th April 2016, 15:13   #1754
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
For instance, i have windows on bootcamp on my mbp retina...

And if you want another OS just so that you can escape windows, nothing beats linux. Try elementary OS, it has an amazing interface.
Oh, bootcamp is all old hat. It couldn't do 3 OS at a time, I used refit to get 3 OS on my iMac in 2010.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post1817106

But I don't believe in dual/triple booting anymore, I need all to run at the same. Now I use VMs whenever I need multiple OS in a machine.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 10:28   #1755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh, bootcamp is all old hat. It couldn't do 3 OS at a time, I used refit to get 3 OS on my iMac in 2010.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post1817106

But I don't believe in dual/triple booting anymore, I need all to run at the same. Now I use VMs whenever I need multiple OS in a machine.
+1 to that , I use Oracle Virtualbox and have Windows 10 and Ubuntu on.
So far no issues at all.
But for it to run smooth make sure you have enough RAM, as your Mac OS is still running in parallel (not to be confused with "Parallels" )
Plus its free

Last edited by Fillmore : 9th April 2016 at 10:30.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote