Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 16th June 2016, 06:47   #1771
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@abs182; @NPV; thanks for the response. Since I have retired over two years ago (from IITK) prince does matter. I am thinking of 256MB since then I may not need a backup storage. Let me see if I can still get the academic discount! Most brands allow it. I think I can lay my hand on most of the software I need, I may start up with Thunderbird (my current package, I hate Outlook) for mail, and MS Office.
My Take: As NPV mentioned, look at Mac Desktop. If budget is a constraint, look at Mini. Its a fantastic product. (I have been on it for the last ~5 years). The earlier ones were self-upgradable for RAM. But all the current apple products, RAM is fused onto boards.

Also the current crop of products I think moved on from SATA based SSD to PCIe based SSD devices.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 09:59   #1772
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone advised me to check Infibeam since they are one of the few maintaining a warehouse in UP so can ship. Air with 4GB/128GB is about 62k, 8GB/is 65k and 4GB with 256GB about 82k. The cheapest Pro with 256GB is more like 107k. As I do not expect to do much graphics so I may skip the Pro. @kkkkaran thanks for giving me hope.

MAC is what I am getting before the year is out. Air or Pro I will have to see. I am doing the final test on my Lenovo today. Saving the current configuration for restoration, restoring from April when Tally was running, and then trying to update from that. My final queries

1. 4GB or 8GB
2. 128GB or 256GB
3. Air or Pro. Is there some solid reason to want the Pro.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 10:44   #1773
BHPian

Quote:

1. 4GB or 8GB
2. 128GB or 256GB
This is what I got last year for less than 50k and I am sure with the experience of my earlier macbook, this is going to serve me at least another five years with the extra ram I added. If you wait for some time, the prices will surely comedown as they seems to fluctuate a lot.

cheers,
girish

http://www.amazon.in/Apple-Macbook-M...ds=macbook+pro
girishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 11:21   #1774
BHPian

Quote:

1. 4GB or 8GB

2. 128GB or 256GB

If power is not much of a concern, why not look at the new 12 inch macbook. Its a beauty of a machine, comes with the wonderful retina display.
8gb,256gb spec, along with the port expansion dongle should cost you about 90k.
The air just doesnt feel good enough to me, to spend 70-80k on it.
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 13:40   #1775
Distinguished - BHPian

@girishv; It is listed at 60,490 and is not Iris. @kkkkkaran; Remember I am 64+ so 13" is pushing the limit for me. Normal Laptop I prefer 14".

Nobody has yet given me a reason to prefer the Pro against the Air!
Old 16th June 2016, 14:06   #1776
BHPian

Default iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
@girishv; It is listed at 60,490 and is not Iris. @kkkkkaran; Remember I am 64+ so 13" is pushing the limit for me. Normal Laptop I prefer 14".

All the more reason to go for the pro. Even in 13" Pro, you will just love the crisp text - especially while reading. Just don't go by screen size, compare resolutions. The average Dell 15" screens have same resolution as that of the MacBook Air 11". So higher resolution will be easy on your eyes as well.

Just visit some store (Croma, Reliance etc ) and just compare Air and Pro side by side. You will choose Pro just by the display.

Edit - pro has Retina display compared to normal display in Air.

Last edited by blackwasp : 16th June 2016 at 14:10.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 14:59   #1777
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you to check PayTm. Check out the MacBook Air 13 (The latest one listed for around 64k). After cashback, it comes down to just 59k which is a killer deal for the product. You get the latest Air with 8GB ram and 128GB storage. The compact form factor and amazing battery life is an added bonus. I just ordered one a couple of hours ago and cant wait to lay my hands on it

Last edited by amansanc : 16th June 2016 at 15:03.
amansanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 17:36   #1778
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, so one reason for the Pro (sharper screen) Yes, screen quality does matter, my daughter-in-law has a 13" Yoga, and it is perceptibly sharper that our 14" Lenovo Flex (we have three my son, myself, and my son-in-law).

I will check on PayTM but the problem is that most vendors do not ship into UP (some archaic rules). One thing I heard today, Apple have a store (Futurestore?) right next door to StanChart who have just moved into the same mall. They have offered a 10% discount for starters to the bank, and I think the manager can swing a bit more for me. At least get a hands on feel.
Old 17th June 2016, 16:12   #1779
Distinguished - BHPian

@ampere desktop is out, I need portability. . A mini is also out since at my age, I need a bigger screen.

On the balance I may opt for the Air 13. Now the next query is 256GB or 128GB. I am sure 4GB RAM should do, since even my Windoze sysyem has shown no sign of distress with 4GB. There is almost ₹20,000 in price between the 256 and 128.

What do you folk do, use Pen or external HD drives for data. Pl forgive the brevity as my net is down since about 11 so I am on my mobile on 3G.

Last edited by sgiitk : 17th June 2016 at 16:26.
Old 17th June 2016, 16:35   #1780
Team-BHP Support

Your choice @SG.

- Mini is an all in one computer; just like the old tower cabinet reduced to a small box. You can connect a big display to it. I have a 22inch display connected on to my mini.
- As regards to portability: Again its your decision. I chose to buy a 35K system 5 years back when the "portable" Apple laptops were near 80-90K.
- I got a simple Dell 22 inch display for 8K then; which still serves well for both my personal and professional requirements.
- I updated the RAM to 8GB for 5K and after 4 years, changed by hard disk to an SSD. Its a rock solid system now.
- For mobility, I actually dont carry a computer. Manage with phone/tablets.
- If need be, I use cheaper machines with Windows or Ubuntu.

Last edited by ampere : 17th June 2016 at 16:40.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 17:20   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
@ampere desktop is out, I need portability. . A mini is also out since at my age, I need a bigger screen.

On the balance I may opt for the Air 13. Now the next query is 256GB or 128GB. I am sure 4GB RAM should do, since even my Windoze sysyem has shown no sign of distress with 4GB. There is almost ₹20,000 in price between the 256 and 128.

What do you folk do, use Pen or external HD drives for data. Pl forgive the brevity as my net is down since about 11 so I am on my mobile on 3G.
Currently, the price difference between Air 13 with 8GB ram and 4GB ram is just 3-4k. For that difference, you get a newer version of the laptop and more ram too which makes it totally worth it. I would say go for the 128 GB storage and depending on the amount of data you have above that, use a high capacity pendrive or invest in a good 1 TB external harddrive which can be used for data not needed all the time.
Old 17th June 2016, 17:25   #1782
Distinguished - BHPian

@ampere; I ordered my Lenovo Flex 14 with 8GB. When it arrived, I found a single DIMM slot populated with 4GB. So I sent the additional 4GB back. Earlier, I had an Asus i7 laptop but found no real advantage in performance as compared to my i5 desktop.

As for using an external screen, portability is hit for SIX. So I have to have a laptop with at least 13". Now that i have retired I have one system (or rather two if one include my wife's Toshiba /i3/2GB). Earlier I had three, one development system dedicated to LabVIEW, two my own desktop (with LabVIEW also), and my laptop which I also used in the field for LabVIEW. I was using dual boot with Linux, but a really bad version of Ubuntu (v10??) made me dump Linux. Mind you with IITK a satellite site, updates came real fast on our 1GBps Intranet.

I am uncomfortable with phones for net usage.

I think by your mention of switching to a SSD you have more or less answered my query about 128/256GB. in Trms of your personal preference.

@amansanc; your point about paying 2-3k extra for the 4GB is well taken, as it the one about using external Pen and HDDs. I have three 1TB drives for system backups. Unfortunately, I have no seen any advts about MacAir with 8GB + 254GB.

Last edited by sgiitk : 17th June 2016 at 17:28.
Old 17th June 2016, 17:46   #1783
BHPian

Quote:

@amansanc; your point about paying 2-3k extra for the 4GB is well taken, as it the one about using external Pen and HDDs. I have three 1TB drives for system backups. Unfortunately, I have no seen any advts about MacAir with 8GB + 254GB.
MacBook Air 8GB + 128 GB - https://paytm.com/shop/p/apple-macbo...F26A1A?src=pdp

But like you said, no deliveries to UP. Maybe you can order it at some other place and have someone else hand it over to you? I know it is tedious. Else, you can visit your nearest Apple authorised store and get the student discount (easy for you to get hold of a student ID). That will bring down the price to Rs. 65,900. This is your second best bet.
Old 17th June 2016, 21:11   #1784
Distinguished - BHPian

@amansanc; Today I find that Infibeam are also blocking UP as of today. In any case for the Apple Store (there is one) I can use my own IIT Kanpur id, to get the academic discount. As it stands they have offered 10% off to StanChart who have moved in next door a month ago.

I can get a system to my son in Gurugram but then getting it here will be a pain. Let me see. What we can manage from them. My daughter is in Kolkata but then WB is as bad as UP.

Incidentally, I found one other virtue of the Macbook Pro - you can add RAM and also kludge in more material to the SSD.
Old 17th June 2016, 22:32   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
@amansanc; Today I find that Infibeam are also blocking UP as of today. In any case for the Apple Store (there is one) I can use my own IIT Kanpur id, to get the academic discount. As it stands they have offered 10% off to StanChart who have moved in next door a month ago.

I can get a system to my son in Gurugram but then getting it here will be a pain. Let me see. What we can manage from them. My daughter is in Kolkata but then WB is as bad as UP.

Incidentally, I found one other virtue of the Macbook Pro - you can add RAM and also kludge in more material to the SSD.
Since you can use your own ID, go ahead and buy from the Apple Store. Due to some special scheme currently, MacBook Air 13 8GB 128 GB is having almost 19% discount at the store. Otherwise the discount on other models is 8%. That's the reason the price difference between 128GB and 256GB model is way too much. Yes, you will be able to make changes to Pro easily in case of RAM and storage. But then you pay pay a high cost for it too.