Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 18th June 2016, 01:26   #1786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Incidentally, I found one other virtue of the Macbook Pro - you can add RAM and also kludge in more material to the SSD.
Upgrades of RAM are not possible in any newer Macs, neither the Retina MBP nor Air. Not even the latest Minis. Please be aware that RAM is soldered on. It's also difficult to upgrade the SSD.

The last easily upgradeable MBP is the mid 2012 pre Retina 13, which they still sell for around 56k. I have used this over the last few months, and after upgrading to 16GB, and SSD Ilo Optical drive, it beats my Asus UX305.

You sacrifice some portability (the optical drive makes it heavier) and the display is not Retina. I would wait for a month to see what they announce in July, as a MBP refresh is likely on the cards.
Juggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 09:45   #1787
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

@Juggy; I am not surprised by Apple going to fully soldered RAM. Part of their DNA! The SSD upgrade is a special module from Transcend or SanDisk. II may wait for another month for the new family of Macs. I will also have to see if I can get the Enterprise version of Windows if I want to make it USB Drive installed. I will also heck with the Futureworld chaps about whether they have 8GB MacAir available, and also the discount(s).

Normally I go to Gurugram twice a year, but after a recent injury I may postpone my next trip.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 08:46   #1788
Distinguished - BHPian

Afeter extensive research I found the following:

There is no Retina in the Air, maybe the 12@ has it, but not the 13@.

I zeroes down on Pro 13 Retina, with 8GB/256GB. One chap mobilecafe2038 was advertising it with a One Year Manufacturers warranty with delivery to my postocode. Just to be sure I messaged him to confirm, and his reply was a curt 'Mumbai Delivery Only'. So why this eBay listing?

So now I will have to see. I will visit the local Futureworld and see what is the best they offer. UP has a 5% TT on IT goods, so I take that into account.

Otherwise I will have to get Amazon to deliver it to either Gurugram (my son) or Kolkata (my daughter). Depends on where can I gt it picked up faster. If the latter then it will have to be October.
Old 26th June 2016, 09:01   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I zeroes down on Pro 13 Retina, with 8GB/256GB.
I have this exact model; purchased Jan '14 in the US. Screen size aside, this is the best Mac model: given a healthy dose of ports (2 USB, 1 HDMI, 1 card reader, 2 Thunderbolt).

The only thing I've purchased over this, is a keyboard skin (in case there's food/liquid around). Never used it though since the fans are below the keyboard.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 09:19   #1790
BHPian

Quote:

I zeroes down on Pro 13 Retina, with 8GB/256GB.

So now I will have to see. I will visit the local Futureworld and see what is the best they offer. UP has a 5% TT on IT goods, so I take that into account.

Otherwise I will have to get Amazon to deliver it to either Gurugram (my son) or Kolkata (my daughter). Depends on where can I gt it picked up faster. If the latter then it will have to be October.

Apple has started their back to school student sale in India. Since you are associated to IIT K, you should be able to get a discount. I was offered the pro retina 13 256gb for 92k last year during student sale in pune.
kkkkkaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 09:29   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Apple has started their back to school student sale in India. Since you are associated to IIT K, you should be able to get a discount. I was offered the pro retina 13 256gb for 92k last year during student sale in pune.
Thanks. Yes, about 7k is available as student discount. Whether it is for all academics, I do not know. I will just keep my antennas out.

I will first check with the only Kanpur outlet (Futureworld in Z-square mall), which is right next to StanChart. I will go down with the Branch Manager (we are old - from 1979 SCB - then Grindlays customers), and my own ID card and see. Else it is Gurugram or Kolkata.
Old 26th June 2016, 12:54   #1792
BHPian

I have been trying to update my MacBook pro to OS El Capitan. This is a 6 GB download. I have a very average internet connection and so am unable to download this. Is there any other way to update?
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 13:41   #1793
Distinguished - BHPian

@BenjiRoss; I have a 2Mbps link. The maximum I have done is 3.3GB (Win10) with no real hassle. Took a bit of time, that is all. 6GB means that a double sided DVD is also a pain, since going to side 2 is always a drag. The only option is to download to a PenDrive or HardDisk. Make sure your connection allows enough volume. Mine is 7GB per month. Then it drops to 256kbps. My son has a 8Gbps link with a 20GB per month (then 512kbps) limit at that speed. They did two Win10 downloads with no hassle. Maybe the nearest Apple franchisee can help.
Old 26th June 2016, 14:11   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I have been trying to update my MacBook pro to OS El Capitan. This is a 6 GB download. I have a very average internet connection and so am unable to download this. Is there any other way to update?

You can find the el capitan dmg from unauthorized sources. They do work. Torrent will do. You are not pirating since you are authorized owner of a genuine copy anyway.
Old 26th June 2016, 17:36   #1795
Distinguished - BHPian

@kkkkkran; How much smaller will a Torrent be. In a binary it will not be much smaller. Only plus is the option of an interruptable download.
Old 26th June 2016, 20:56   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
@kkkkkran; How much smaller will a Torrent be. In a binary it will not be much smaller. Only plus is the option of an interruptable download.

The problem is, apple servers are absolutely pathetic. Download speeds are anyway bad, and gets interrupted very easily. Ive had very bad experiences downloading from apple sources like itunes and mac app store for large downloads even on a 5mbps line.
Old 27th June 2016, 07:03   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
The problem is, apple servers are absolutely pathetic. Download speeds are anyway bad, and gets interrupted very easily. Ive had very bad experiences downloading from apple sources like itunes and mac app store for large downloads even on a 5mbps line.
They are slow only during the first week of a major update release. I have had no problems with upgrade on any of my Apple devices (iPhone/iPad/MacBook Pro Retina 15)
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 07:11   #1798
BHPian

I will also need to check my settings. Unable to download updates for iTunes and safari. Downloads a few MB and then restarts downloads from the start.
Old 27th June 2016, 08:01   #1799
BHPian

One query about updating if I manage to get the dmg file. Will it reset my data and computer or simply update the OS X and keep the files and software intact.
Old 27th June 2016, 21:21   #1800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will first check with the only Kanpur outlet (Futureworld in Z-square mall), which is right next to StanChart. I will go down with the Branch Manager (we are old - from 1979 SCB - then Grindlays customers), and my own ID card and see. Else it is Gurugram or Kolkata.
Today, my local supplier came back with an offer for ₹117,000. Basically, 110,000 plus 5% tax (UP Specific) from the vendor. and 1,500 for himself. I have asked him to get me one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
One query about updating if I manage to get the dmg file. Will it reset my data and computer or simply update the OS X and keep the files and software intact.
Valid query. I know in the Windoze world until Win10, you essentially lost all data. What I used to do is only keep the system and application software in the C:drive, so my work was in other partitions. So only C: was redone in the upgrade. Win 7 or 8/8.1 to 10 was very transparent. They did recommend redoing the Win partition to remove the garbage, I did not. When my HDD failed I got a fresh HDD, and started from scratch. No observable gain in speed, so the old one was also pretty clean.

Now that I too am going the Mac route I even need to know what is the latest version of OS-X. My system I think will come with Yosemite.

Last edited by sgiitk : 27th June 2016 at 21:29.