Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th June 2016, 21:43   #1801
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Today, my local supplier came back with an offer for ₹117,000. Basically, 110,000 plus 5% tax (UP Specific) from the vendor. and 1,500 for himself. I have asked him to get me one.
Good to see you narrow down to the Mac you need. However, I would still say that order it online and get it delivered to your son's or daughter's place. Post that, they can very easily courier it via BlueDart to you (I sent a laptop from Jaipur to Kolkata a couple of days ago.). The courier charges would be less than 1000. The laptop you have chosen is available for Rs. 98,000 on PayTm post cashback or for Rs. 1,04,000 on Amazon. A much much better deal than the 1,17,000 offered by your local vendor.
amansanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 07:49   #1802
Distinguished - BHPian

@amansac; Please check the 104k on Amazon becomes 114k once you add the 9,999 for the warranty. PayTm I do not trust. As for 117k remember it includes 5.5k at UPTT. No courier accepts stuff into UP due to UPTT restrictions. Jaipur-Kolkata is no issue. At one time I had a major problem sending a TV to Kolkata and finally got Samsung to arrange the delivery.

Check on any mail order firm for stuff above 5k with a UP postcode and they will show 'Delivery not Available'. eBay are slightly better, if they have a UP vendor. Recently I bought a Nikon D5500 and managed to rope in the UP Distributor through a friend, so actually got a better price than any mail order price.

Thanks for the concern, but in a way my hands were tied.

Last edited by sgiitk : 28th June 2016 at 07:51.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 11:48   #1803
Distinguished - BHPian

Now please be prepared for some noob questions.

1. Do we need an anti-virus?

2. I have a 1TB external drive which I have changed to exFAT. Is tht enough or do I need one more. On my PC I have one 1TB (for the work and archive partitions), and one 500GB (for Recovery).
Old 28th June 2016, 11:51   #1804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2. I have a 1TB external drive which I have changed to exFAT. Is tht enough or do I need one more. On my PC I have one 1TB (for the work and archive partitions), and one 500GB (for Recovery).
1. I don't think this debate (need for anti-virus on a Mac) has reached a resolution globally. I personally don't have one on my Mac and haven't faced an issue yet in the last 2.5 years.

2. It would completely depend on how much data you intend to store on your laptop. I have about 80 Gb of personal data on my laptop (excluding OS and apps) and yet have a generous amount of space left. As in a PC, you wouldn't need to partition the hard drive for recovery.

Just a note: once you install software (I have Adobe Acrobat, Office 10 and Photoshop); you may have to install Mac compatibility packs for some since the software that is developed for Mac doesn't always keep up with OS updates.

Also, if you are a hardcore Excel user for data analytics, you'd be better off installing Windows through Bootcamp/Parallels and use Excel there.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th June 2016 at 11:54.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 12:07   #1805
BHPian

Default iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:

The 1TB disk should be good enough.
You can also look at a product like the transcend jetdrive lite. It is essentially an sd card, goes into the sd card port of the mac. Problem is, standard sd cards will stick out and not go all the way in. This is specifically designed half sized, so it fits flush in the mac sd port.

Even in windows i relied on Windows defender, never really used an antivirus software since windows 7, so i cannot answer that.

Last edited by kkkkkaran : 28th June 2016 at 12:14. Reason: picture removal
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 12:36   #1806
Distinguished - BHPian

@kkkkaran; Thanks. In the Windoze world I used whatever was subscribed to by IITK. eset, Norton, etc. at different times. Now that I have retired and not on-campus, I do not have the Institute firewall as a first line of defence. I was using Kaspersky till I found it was not too happy with Win10. So I switched to Mcafee. We have three systems protected - mine, my son, and d-i-l. I got three licenses for Macafee for under ₹600.

Now with the Mac being Unix based it should be reasonably robust. I find the AVG Free is having good reviews. I will probably try that.
Old 28th June 2016, 14:29   #1807
BHPian

sgiitk, please do not install any software from any antivirus vendor on your Mac. They do nothing for the Mac itself.

Once you are on the Mac regularly, you might also keep seeing ads and popups (and in some cases, secret installers bundled with some of your other downloads) for a software called MacKeeper. Run away as fast as you can if you see that. Do not install that, or Norton or McAfee or AVG or Kaspersky or anything.

Microsoft Office for Mac is a pretty robust suite if you absolutely have to have Microsoft. Apple has its own productivity app equivalents such as Pages, Numbers and Keynote if you prefer those.

Mac OSX comes built in with security, so you do not need a third-party firewall.

You are in the Mac world now. You may stop working for your computer and start letting your computer work for you

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 14:43   #1808
mxh
BHPian

Quote:

Mac is as vulnerable as Windows as far as viruses/ malware are concerned. There has been huge upsurge in Mac malware in the last few years as more users are buying Apple products.
mxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 15:07   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
sgiitk, please do not install any software from any antivirus vendor on your Mac. They do nothing for the Mac itself.

Once you are on the Mac regularly, you might also keep seeing ads and popups (and in some cases, secret installers bundled with some of your other downloads) for a software called MacKeeper. Run away as fast as you can if you see that. Do not install that, or Norton or McAfee or AVG or Kaspersky or anything.

Microsoft Office for Mac is a pretty robust suite if you absolutely have to have Microsoft. Apple has its own productivity app equivalents such as Pages, Numbers and Keynote if you prefer those.

Mac OSX comes built in with security, so you do not need a third-party firewall.

You are in the Mac world now. You may stop working for your computer and start letting your computer work for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Mac is as vulnerable as Windows as far as viruses/ malware are concerned. There has been huge upsurge in Mac malware in the last few years as more users are buying Apple products.
Two opposite views. Having lived in the PC world for over 35 years I am aware of the hazards there. And as you say @mxh; as Apple becomes popular the same hazards come here. Only Unix is basically robust.

In all these years I managed to keep my PC virus free, except once when an unchecked file from a source which I will expect to be equally careful, ended up resetting all MS-Office files to 0 bytes. I do not remember the name of the virus. On the PC I examined the HDD of my Lenovo and found that they had bundled in a lot of hidden software (snoopware or what). When I had a disc failure, I got the HDD without even configuring, so started from scratch - Linux to mount the drive, ... This time it is a squeaky clean install.

I am sure bugs like cryptolocker are also around!!
Old 28th June 2016, 15:44   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Got a curious question.

We have 2 Macs at home and first time since purchase we did a Facetime between the 2. What I found that the images from my Late 2012 13" MB Pro Retina are much darker than the latest 13" MB Air of my better half.

It has to be bright outside to get a clear picture of mine, artificial light or evening sunlight visual quality seems apalling.

I did a head-head comparison at the store when I bought the Air (though with the latest Pro and Pro Retina) with Facetime, but didnt find this sort of a difference.

Am I missing something?
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 07:41   #1811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
We have 2 Macs at home and first time since purchase we did a Facetime between the 2. What I found that the images from my Late 2012 13" MB Pro Retina are much darker than the latest 13" MB Air of my better half.

It has to be bright outside to get a clear picture of mine, artificial light or evening sunlight visual quality seems apalling.
Could be just the ageing of the display. The back lighting in the older system may have become weaker. Remember any LED display is essentially a 'blocking system' with a backlighting of the display. In other words there is a light plane and you then mask is you see fit.
Old 29th June 2016, 14:01   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Ah, the old saw about security through obscurity. Not intending to be a troll here, but mxh, could you maybe please cite some cases where Macs or iOS devices have indeed been compromised in real life? I am quite curious about this "huge upsurge" you mention.

sgiitk, popularity has nothing to do with it, it's the platform's ability to be secure out of the box and stay secure.

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 18:31   #1813
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Ah, the old saw about security through obscurity. Not intending to be a troll here, but mxh, could you maybe please cite some cases where Macs or iOS devices have indeed been compromised in real life? I am quite curious about this "huge upsurge" you mention.
Take a look at these links, or google for more
http://bgr.com/2015/10/21/mac-malware-increase-2015/
https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2014/09...-os-x-malware/
Quote:

So, the top-20 detections of for-OS X malware for 2013–2014 (worldwide):
Name Number of detections % AdWare.OSX.Geonei.b 56,271 39.15 Trojan.OSX.Vsrch.a 28,222 19.63 AdWare.OSX.Geonei.d 23,904 16.63 Trojan.OSX.Yontoo.i 7595 5.28 AdWare.OSX.FkCodec.b 6395 4.45 Trojan.OSX.Yontoo.h 3636 2.53 Trojan.OSX.Yontoo.j 3366 2.34 AdWare.OSX.Geonei.c 2889 2.01 Trojan.OSX.Yontoo.a 2079 1.45 AdWare.OSX.Geonei.e 1758 1.22 Trojan.OSX.FakeCo.a 1413 0.98 Trojan.OSX.Okaz.a 1126 0.78 Trojan-Downloader.OSX.Vidsler.a 868 0.60 RemoteAdmin.OSX.AppleRDAdmin.c 677 0.47 AdWare.OSX.Bnodlero.a 656 0.46 Trojan.OSX.Yontoo.b 633 0.44 AdWare.OSX.FkCodec.a 609 0.42 Trojan-Downloader.OSX.FavDonw.c 571 0.40 AdWare.OSX.Geonei.a 544 0.38 Trojan.OSX.Yontoo.d 533 0.37/Quote

So there's plenty of malware including ransomware for mac. Mac sales guys are instructed to brainwash people that getting a mac means you'll never get malware, which is completely false. BTW, I have both Mac and Windows devices at home.
mxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 20:49   #1814
Distinguished - BHPian

@mxh; Basically propagating the old story - Unix is virus proof. Given enough interest nothing is, a dedicated group will find loopholes. Anothe OS which is Unix derived - Android was found to be crackable by hitting a particular key some twenty times.

My conclusion is that OS-X or whatever is robust but can be busted by a few pieces of malware. So I have to take my call between better protection, and some resources being used for protection.
Old 30th June 2016, 06:39   #1815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
One query about updating if I manage to get the dmg file. Will it reset my data and computer or simply update the OS X and keep the files and software intact.
I was fooling around on the Internet. By the looks of it an OS upgrade (following Lion or later) does not mess up the rest. Of course there is the normal advisory about backing up all data before updating.

I have been told to expect my new toy on Saturday or Monday.