Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 30th June 2016, 09:42   #1816
akp
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I was fooling around on the Internet. By the looks of it an OS upgrade (following Lion or later) does not mess up the rest. Of course there is the normal advisory about backing up all data before updating.

I have been told to expect my new toy on Saturday or Monday.
I do not follow this thread very regularly, so do not know if it has been mentioned already - for update or clean install, it is always a good idea to make a bootable usb stick first:
http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/30/creat...install-drive/

That way, even if something goes wrong during the update/install process, one doesn't have to download the whole thing again.
Incidentally, this site (osxdaily.com) is a very useful source for various mac related tips.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 10:23   #1817
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @akp; Does this route make it mandatory to do a fresh clean install removing everything. Is there an option in the Install process to preserve the environment, incl software and work folders?

I have signed on.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 10:29   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
@mxh; Basically propagating the old story - Unix is virus proof. Given enough interest nothing is, a dedicated group will find loopholes. Anothe OS which is Unix derived - Android was found to be crackable by hitting a particular key some twenty times.

My conclusion is that OS-X or whatever is robust but can be busted by a few pieces of malware. So I have to take my call between better protection, and some resources being used for protection.
A system is only as secure as its administrator is capable of making it. Any *nix system user operates with limited privileges and by the way they are configured, it is difficult to penetrate and inflict serious system-wide damage. Trojans and malwares are different from Viri which affect Windows system.

As long as the OS and the software are patched in time with clearly defined security parameters and the user is not logged in as 'root' , there is no need for any conventional windows type Antivirus software. If you want to secure your Mac OS, it will be a good idea to take a look here: https://github.com/drduh/OS-X-Securi...-Privacy-Guide

It is easy to sew a *nix system so tight that even a 'conjuring' ghost will have a tough time to breach its defenses. BTW I am a system Administrator with dozens of *nix servers under my care in the last 18 years.

Last edited by Prowler : 30th June 2016 at 10:30. Reason: Added a link
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 11:44   #1819
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @akp; Does this route make it mandatory to do a fresh clean install removing everything. Is there an option in the Install process to preserve the environment, incl software and work folders?

I have signed on.
No - all options are still available when you use the bootable flash drive, just that the entire image is now on your flash drive, so that you don't need to be connected to the net while updating/installing. Saves you time and data download bill if you have multiple macs at home.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 13:07   #1820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
A system is only as secure as its administrator is capable of making it. .....

As long as the OS and the software are patched in time with clearly defined security parameters and the user is not logged in as 'root' , there is no need for any conventional windows type Antivirus software. If you want to secure your Mac OS, it will be a good idea to take a look here: https://github.com/drduh/OS-X-Securi...-Privacy-Guide
Naturally, one must be careful with opening the su gate. I have seen people running their Linux systems with su- open, so naturally the same here.

In other words in a well safeguarded system, there is no need for an anti-virus. Any malware will just be banging its head on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
No - all options are still available when you use the bootable flash drive, just that the entire image is now on your flash drive, so that you don't need to be connected to the net while updating/installing. Saves you time and data download bill if you have multiple macs at home.
Thanks. I guess Microsoft copied this feature on Win10, but not many people got and saved the image.

I am a Windows man with some limited experience of Unix as well as Linux.
Old 30th June 2016, 15:46   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Take a look at these links, or google for more
http://bgr.com/2015/10/21/mac-malware-increase-2015/
https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2014/09...-os-x-malware/
Quote:

*SNIPPED*/Quote

So there's plenty of malware including ransomware for mac. Mac sales guys are instructed to brainwash people that getting a mac means you'll never get malware, which is completely false. BTW, I have both Mac and Windows devices at home.
MXB, I don't know whether you completely read through the two links you had posted, but these again do not necessarily talk about widespread infection int he wild. Almost all of the talk in both these is about proof of concepts, and those running on intentionally unprotected macs - meaning, they had to be explicitly unprotected in order to get them infected.

One of those articles is by someone who has a vested interest in spreading FUD - a security suite vendor. However, surprisingly, even that article did not spread as much FUD as I expected it to. Yes, it does talk about the FlashBack infection, but you notice that this came out of downloading pirated copies of Apple software.

Macs, out of the box, come heavily secured. One has to intentionally disable protection. And that is not a very bright thing to do.

Also, the articles talk about phishing - which is basically social engineering. No security software will protect one from social engineering attacks.

Finally they mention inherently insecure third party software like Java and Flash and Silverlight etc. We all know what happened to Flash on the Mac. We are all heavily warned about Flash being dangerous, yet people continue to use it.

The main thing about Macs is that, unlike in Windows, the system cannot be automatically infected without the knowledge and the consent of the user. The user will be requested for an ID and password for anything to be installed, and if it is something that the user has not explicitly requested (like installing or updating an application), the user will immediately know something fishy is happening and not give access, and the attack is dead in the water.

Please note, I am not saying that a Mac is an all-encompassing armour that prevents stupidity and provides protection from it - all I am saying is that there is no need to install a security software because Macs are inherently secure out of the box. That's all.

Now, if someone is interested in delving deeper into this topic, we might find it better to take it offline so that the general nature of this thread is not hijacked.

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 16:12   #1822
BHPian

I finally managed to update to OS X El Capitan via Reliance Jio 4G, overnight download, and the update is awesome!
avingodb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 09:08   #1823
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally my MacPro is in town. The chap called yesterday evening around 5:00pm and wanted to come right then. I had a lodge meeting at 6:30 so asked him to hold on. He is coming on Monday morning (means around 11-12 in Kanpur parlance).

I hope things are fine, and the unit comes with El Kapitan pre loaded. It is a brand new unit from some Apple distributor. Quite frankly I am not too keen to start life in the MacWorld with an OS upgrade.

Last edited by sgiitk : 3rd July 2016 at 09:09.
Old 3rd July 2016, 11:34   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Finally my MacPro is in town. The chap called yesterday evening around 5:00pm and wanted to come right then. I had a lodge meeting at 6:30 so asked him to hold on. He is coming on Monday morning (means around 11-12 in Kanpur parlance).

I hope things are fine, and the unit comes with El Kapitan pre loaded. It is a brand new unit from some Apple distributor. Quite frankly I am not too keen to start life in the MacWorld with an OS upgrade.
It will most likely come loaded with El Capitan since its coming from Apple distributor now. Even if it comes pre-loaded with El Capitan, there will still be some updates which will have to be done. I got an April 2016 manufactured piece when I bought my Air last month. When I started it up, there were a few updates to be done. OS update, iMovie update and a couple of other apps. All in all 4 GB or so of updates. Luckily, had my Reliance Jio 4G connection setup by then and it took just under 2 hours for all the updates.
amansanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 13:38   #1825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
It will most likely come loaded with El Capitan since its coming from Apple distributor now. Even if it comes pre-loaded with El Capitan, there will still be some updates which will have to be done. I got an April 2016 manufactured piece when I bought my Air last month. When I started it up, there were a few updates to be done. OS update, iMovie update and a couple of other apps. All in all 4 GB or so of updates.
Exactly what you say. I got it this morning, and the total updates required are about 5GB. I have done the minor things but the iMovie and OS both 2GB plus remain. Also I am finding my way around the interface. So I think after the bits and bobs are done I will try them one at a time. I have fibre 7GB connection which is due for renewal on the 7th, so I am not sure how much bandwidth is left.

The finally damages INR116,000 for Pro 13 Retina, 8GB, 256GB.
Old 5th July 2016, 08:24   #1826
Distinguished - BHPian

I have already found a few niggles / questions:

1. I have installed my VPN (Forti Client) in order the IITK Intranet. That has a anti-virus included. Now for the Virus problem it caught one bug! This was when I was installing uTorrent (the main App from their own site). So that much for anti-virus or no virus on Mac.

2. I have been trying to install Thunderbird, and will next move my profile across. Now how do I proceed. I downloaded the .dwg file from Mozilla on my PC. Copied it on a Pen Drive, and then tried to Install it. It installs but does not show up in the Launcher. What I am doing wrong. I have had no problems with Chrome and its environment.

I will need to copy across the profiles folder from my PC to the Mac, and then edit and change the profile filename in .ini file. How do I do both?

3. Now I find the ₹ symbol is not there. I looked into the currency area and only found a single character sized Rs symbol. I have tried the normal US, US International and UK keyboards. How do I get the ₹ symbol and how to I integrate it in the keyboard.

4. I have to move across a lot of my work software from my PC to the Mac. How do I do that?

Remember I have been with the Mac only since yesterday noon.
Old 5th July 2016, 08:40   #1827
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I have already found a few niggles / questions:

1. I have installed my VPN (Forti Client) in order the IITK Intranet. That has a anti-virus included. Now for the Virus problem it caught one bug! This was when I was installing uTorrent (the main App from their own site). So that much for anti-virus or no virus on Mac.

2. I have been trying to install Thunderbird, and will next move my profile across. Now how do I proceed. I downloaded the .dwg file from Mozilla on my PC. Copied it on a Pen Drive, and then tried to Install it. It installs but does not show up in the Launcher. What I am doing wrong. I have had no problems with Chrome and its environment.

I will need to copy across the profiles folder from my PC to the Mac, and then edit and change the profile filename in .ini file. How do I do both?

3. Now I find the ₹ symbol is not there. I looked into the currency area and only found a single character sized Rs symbol. I have tried the normal US, US International and UK keyboards. How do I get the ₹ symbol and how to I integrate it in the keyboard.

4. I have to move across a lot of my work software from my PC to the Mac. How do I do that?

Remember I have been with the Mac only since yesterday noon.

Im sure that you are aware that the dmg file is equivalent of an iso file on windows, it is just an image. Make sure you have installed it, and not just launched the dmg. If installed, go check the applications section in finder, or use the search tool on the top right. Some apps do not show up in launcher. There must be a step by step guide for the profile switch, im not aware since i migrated to mail on mac..
Coming to work s/w, you will have to look around for mac equivalent versions, or otherwise install windows in a virtual/dual boot environment. Setting up wine is a huge pain.
kkkkkaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 08:43   #1828
BHPian

Quote:

Please check whether Thunderbird (TB) is present in the applications folder. If yes, open it and then it will appear in the launcher. Then right click > options > keep in dock. That should make it permanently visible in the launcher.

For moving your profile, copy your TB folder onto the Mac. Start the profile manager on the TB (see the link for help regarding this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...tiple-profiles). Then, select a folder "_____.default", which should be present in the TB folder. TB will then take the mails, folder structure, filters, settings and so on, as used previously.

Hope it helps.
Aiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 09:46   #1829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Im sure that you are aware that the dmg file is equivalent of an iso file on windows, it is just an image. Make sure you have installed it, and not just launched the dmg.
Yes, I still have the .dmg. I think I just launched it. How do I install it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
Please check whether Thunderbird (TB) is present in the applications folder. If yes, open it and then it will appear in the launcher. Then right click > options > keep in dock. That should make it permanently visible in the launcher.

For moving your profile, copy your TB folder onto the Mac. Start the profile manager on the TB (see the link for help regarding this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...tiple-profiles). Then, select a folder "_____.default", which should be present in the TB folder. TB will then take the mails, folder structure, filters, settings and so on, as used previously.
Yes, I will get the profile on a pen drive. I am afiard i do not keep my profile in the PC on the default place. I keep it on Partition E:\. So i will copy the profiles folder on the USB drive. Then some guidance on how to move across, (I guess Mac auto mounts) copy on the Mac and then I will see how I attack the Thunderbird problem.
Old 5th July 2016, 14:36   #1830
Distinguished - BHPian

No suggestions on how to get the Rupee symbol. ₨ is what the keyboard is giving me from the symbol set. This is in the US (PC) mode. Others are no better.

One interesting issue, while I have Thunderbird working on both GMail and IITK for both incoming and outgoing mail 'Mail' is working on GMail while in IITK it is not sending out mail from smtp. The settings look the same in both Mail and Thunderbird. I am still to sort out the profile problem.

I have more or less used up by bandwidth for the updates so am waiting for the 7th when my subscription gets renewed to the full 2Mbps I have subscribed for.