Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th July 2016, 16:43   #1831
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have already found a few niggles / questions:

1. I have installed my VPN (Forti Client) in order the IITK Intranet. That has a anti-virus included. Now for the Virus problem it caught one bug! This was when I was installing uTorrent (the main App from their own site). So that much for anti-virus or no virus on Mac.

2. I have been trying to install Thunderbird, and will next move my profile across. Now how do I proceed. I downloaded the .dwg file from Mozilla on my PC. Copied it on a Pen Drive, and then tried to Install it. It installs but does not show up in the Launcher. What I am doing wrong. I have had no problems with Chrome and its environment.

I will need to copy across the profiles folder from my PC to the Mac, and then edit and change the profile filename in .ini file. How do I do both?

3. Now I find the ₹ symbol is not there. I looked into the currency area and only found a single character sized Rs symbol. I have tried the normal US, US International and UK keyboards. How do I get the ₹ symbol and how to I integrate it in the keyboard.

4. I have to move across a lot of my work software from my PC to the Mac. How do I do that?

Remember I have been with the Mac only since yesterday noon.
Welcome to Mac

1. It's interesting that your VPN software came with an anti-virus and that it detected an issue with torrent. Can you give me more info on the VPN software itself and also what antivirus it came with? I would like to do some study into them.

2. uTorrent has been plagued with adware for a very long time now and most people I know have moved out of uTorrent. Transmission is a BitTorrent client made specifically for Mac and Linux, and it works beautifully. You might want to look into that.

3. I would suggest that you install a browser plug-in called Ghostery so that it removes all adware and unnecessary bloat from websites you visit.

4. Re. the infection found by your antivirus, I would like to know what malware it found so that I could do some more study into that too.

5. Re. installing from a DMG - a DMG is just like an ISO file and is not the application itself. The way apps are installed on Mac is that you "mount" the DMG by double-clicking on it, then drag the app from the resulting window into your Applications folder. That's all. If you haven't done that, you haven't actually installed the app, and it will not show up in the launcher.

6. Uninstalling a Mac app is simple too - just drag the app from the Applications folder into Trash. Et voila, you're done.

7. Thunderbird - any reason you're still on Thunderbird instead of using Mac's built in mail client? In case you wish to move to Mail, here's a page on Apple's website that tells you how to migrate: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201594

8. Re. moving your work apps to Mac, if you list them out here someone will be able to suggest Mac equivalents. Not all of them may be directly available for Mac, but some of them may be. Check with the app's website.

9. Re. the Rupee symbol - since Apple does not have a localised keyboard for India, there is no straight substitution using keyboard layouts. What you can do is create a keyboard substitution (works kind of like Autocorrect where you type something and the computer changes it to the correct thing). Here's the way to do that (it involves a few steps, but it's a one-time thing):
  1. You basically go into the Preferences app (the one that looks like a gear), select "Keyboard", click on the "Keyboard" tab, tick "Show Keyboard, Emoji & Symbol viewers in menu bar".
  2. In the new Menu Bar item, click "Show Emoji and Symbols"
  3. In the resulting popup window, select "Currency Symbols"
  4. Go back to the Keyboard Preferences window and click on the "Text" tab
  5. Near the bottom you will see a + - button - click the + button to add a new entry
  6. In the "Replace" column, type a text sequence that you normally will not type in regular use, say "inr" or "rupaya" or something like that
  7. Tab over to the Right hand side of that window (to the "With" column"
  8. Go back to the "Currency Symbols" window and double click on the Rupee sign (yes it's there, in the third row, look for it).
  9. You should now see that the "With" column has been populated with the Rupee symbol
  10. From now on wherever and whenever you type INR or rupaya, it will change it to the Rupee sign.
  11. I don't know if this will work in Excel etc., when you format a column as Currency, you have to maybe achieve that result some other way.

Hope this helps

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 18:00   #1832
Distinguished - BHPian

@tilt; Brilliant reply. Thanks a lot.

Solves most of my queries. Right now I am on the Win Laptop. Fortinet was blocking all Torrents on the Mac. We use Fortinet which is the recommended VPN of IIT Kanpur. It has Antivirus as part of the app. On the PC I have disabled the anti-virus (I am running Mcaffee), and its internal Firewall. Still it does a scan once a week. In fact some reports say it is a decent anti-virus. When I get back to the Mac I will check that I have not deleted the malware, if so, I will send you the details.

Right now having used up my 7GB (subscription renews on the 7th). I have some downloads going here at 256kbps.

Why I am on Thunderbird? It has been my mail package for well over a decade. Once I migrated to Outlook for all of one week, even paid some $s for the migration software. One big benefit I have on the PC is that I can save my mails outside of Drive C: so that a crash does not kill my mail archive. I had a HDD crash in December, but lost all of three days mail only as my last backup of E: was three days old.

I have used Mail and quite like it. I am not too sure if it can handle the archives in Thunderbird. I have about 3GB of them!

Mail is happy on GMail and gets my IITK mail but is unable to connect to the smtp server to send out. T'bird on Mac (profile not transferred yet) is working happily on both GMail and the iitk mail. I know IITK connection has to be manually configured (odd Ports), which I tried. I am sure this is fixable, and will contact some friends in IITK to do so. Why T'bird and not Mail with apparently the same settings just beats me.

I have 'Docked' T'Bird so hopefully it will not go away, but I am unable to get it in the Launchpad.

I have managed to Install my Samsung SCX-3400 Multifunction in the Mac. The recommended route was hitting a dead end (bad links). I managed to find the Universal Print Driver for Mac. I installed it, and lo and behold the scanner driver was part of it (in the PC a separate TWAIN driver was required). The OS even told me that it was in the AppMart (God knows where). Tomorrow I will try to Install my Canon Pixma iP7270 InkJet. Both Samsung and Pixma are on WiFi.

The stuff to move across are essentially doc and xls files and maybe a few ppt's, image files (mostly jpg), and pdf files (about 70GB in all).

I have downloaded LibreOffice (202MB+11MB for Help), until I can lay my hands on MSOffice, which will be about a 2.9GB download. I do not know how good is the built in pdf reader and printer. I will see if Adobe Reader DC is available on the Mac. I may also try and get dopdf, my favourite pdf creator. I will also see if we have a site license on Acrobat Pro for Mac (we have one for Windows).

Tomorrow i will try your method to get the ₹ symbol installed. I find the ` symbol (below ~) quite useless, so may just cannibalise it.

Added --------
Just put in the ₹ symbol. Let me see how it goes. I had to go through the keyboard > Emoji >... route, but then I had not restarted the system.

The rogue file is searchme@mybrowserbar.com.xpi

Last edited by sgiitk : 5th July 2016 at 18:27.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 21:44   #1833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest that you install a browser plug-in called Ghostery so that it removes all adware and unnecessary bloat from websites you visit.
thanks, Tilt.

your post is very informative and helpful .
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 22:50   #1834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Tomorrow i will try your method to get the ₹ symbol installed. I find the ` symbol (below ~) quite useless, so may just cannibalise it.

Added --------
Just put in the ₹ symbol. Let me see how it goes. I had to go through the keyboard > Emoji >... route, but then I had not restarted the system.
I used region settings and got the symbol to work on excel when i select currency as field and it comes.

Name:  Screen Shot 20160705 at 22.28.15.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  59.9 KB

For system wide change you can try following:

Quote:
DefaultKeyBinding.dict

Create ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict and enter

{ "$~2" = (insertText:, "₹"); }
This rebinds ⇧⌥2 to insert ₹
$ = ⇧, ~ = ⌥

Quit and reopen applications for the change to take effect
http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...-symbol/124535
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 14:19   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
@tilt; Brilliant reply. Thanks a lot.

Solves most of my queries. Right now I am on the Win Laptop. Fortinet was blocking all Torrents on the Mac. We use Fortinet which is the recommended VPN of IIT Kanpur. It has Antivirus as part of the app. On the PC I have disabled the anti-virus (I am running Mcaffee), and its internal Firewall. Still it does a scan once a week. In fact some reports say it is a decent anti-virus. When I get back to the Mac I will check that I have not deleted the malware, if so, I will send you the details.
You may not be aware of this, but MacOS X has a built in VPN client that can be configured for your use if needed. Also, I am sure there are quite a few people in IITK who use Macs - maybe you could schmooze with them to find out how they do things? I am sure it would be helpful.

Quote:
*SNIP*
Why I am on Thunderbird? It has been my mail package for well over a decade. *SNIP

I have used Mail and quite like it. I am not too sure if it can handle the archives in Thunderbird. I have about 3GB of them!

Mail is happy on GMail and gets my IITK mail but is unable to connect to the smtp server to send out. T'bird on Mac (profile not transferred yet) is working happily on both GMail and the iitk mail. I know IITK connection has to be manually configured (odd Ports), which I tried. I am sure this is fixable, and will contact some friends in IITK to do so. Why T'bird and not Mail with apparently the same settings just beats me.
Mail can certainly handle Thunderbird archives, all 3GB of them

Again, I would ask you to speak with other Mac users in IITK and see if they use Mail and if so, how they configured it. In fact, I am sure your IT folk should be pretty used to this by now and might be able to help you get your Mac completely set up on IITK's network.

Quote:
I have 'Docked' T'Bird so hopefully it will not go away, but I am unable to get it in the Launchpad.
Please verify that you have actually installed Thunderbird by dragging it from the DMG into your Applications folder. If yes, it should show up in Launchpad. Also, if you have more apps than will fit into one screen, Launchpad can be scrolled sideways to get to the next screen - maybe that's where Thunderbird is?

Quote:
I have managed to Install my Samsung SCX-3400 Multifunction in the Mac. The recommended route was hitting a dead end (bad links). I managed to find the Universal Print Driver for Mac. I installed it, and lo and behold the scanner driver was part of it (in the PC a separate TWAIN driver was required). The OS even told me that it was in the AppMart (God knows where). Tomorrow I will try to Install my Canon Pixma iP7270 InkJet. Both Samsung and Pixma are on WiFi.
Do you mean App Store by any chance? If you do mean APpMart, I would be wary. I would be wary of downloading and installing anything that's NOT from the Mac App Store, even if it's from the developer's own website. App Store apps are screened for malware and other annoyances. You yourself have seen uTorrent as an example.

That's not to say that anything from a developer's website is unsafe, it is just that one should exercise extra caution while doing so.

Quote:
The stuff to move across are essentially doc and xls files and maybe a few ppt's, image files (mostly jpg), and pdf files (about 70GB in all).
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just move all those into your Documents folder and you're good to go.

Quote:
I have downloaded LibreOffice (202MB+11MB for Help), until I can lay my hands on MSOffice, which will be about a 2.9GB download.
LibreOffice is a great suite, and unless you depend greatly on complex Excel macros or VB Scripts etc., you may not find any need to even download MS Office.

Apple themselves have Pages, Numbers and Keynote as their "Office Suite", all of which should already be there in your system. These correspond to Word, Excel and Powerpoint, and read those MS Office files out of the box and also save to those formats. So, you may not even need LibreOffice! Check it out though, not everyone likes Pages/Numbers/Keynote.

Quote:
I do not know how good is the built in pdf reader and printer. I will see if Adobe Reader DC is available on the Mac. I may also try and get dopdf, my favourite pdf creator. I will also see if we have a site license on Acrobat Pro for Mac (we have one for Windows).
There's no need for you to do any of those things. the built in PDF reader is excellent. It's called Preview and it opens not just PDFs, but also other types of files.

As for creating PDFs, again, you don't need to buy anything. The Mac has a built in PDF creator. All you need is to "print" any file, and instead of actually sending it to printer, there is an option to create a PDF.

Quote:
You don't have to restart the system. It works from the moment you create it.

Quote:
Yes, I thought so. This is not a virus per se, it is a browser toolbar and hijack thing that switches your search to mybrowser. They bundle this with a lot of so-called free software that you can download from various sites, including once reputed sites like softpedia or mac-related download sites, or even some developer websites.

This is basically like adware. It does not harm your system or your data, but it does monetise your searches by forcing you to go through them. It is an extreme irritant and a pain to get rid of.

Again, I would recommend that you limit yourself as far as possible to downloading apps only from the Mac App Store, use as much of the built-in apps as possible, and install Ghostery.

Please remember, you are no longer in the Windows world - you do not have to keep buying a lot of apps and things and drivers and third party stuff. The OS does almost everything you want, out of the box. Please just ask someone here from now on before buying or downloading anything.

Cheers
Old 6th July 2016, 15:27   #1836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
1. You may not be aware of this, but MacOS X has a built in VPN client that can be configured for your use if needed. Also, I am sure there are quite a few people in IITK who use Macs - maybe you could schmooze with them to find out how they do things? I am sure it would be helpful.
2. Mail can certainly handle Thunderbird archives, all 3GB of them

Again, I would ask you to speak with other Mac users in IITK and see if they use Mail and if so, how they configured it. In fact, I am sure your IT folk should be pretty used to this by now and might be able to help you get your Mac completely set up on IITK's network.
3. Please verify that you have actually installed Thunderbird by dragging it from the DMG into your Applications folder. If yes, it should show up in Launchpad. Also, if you have more apps than will fit into one screen, Launchpad can be scrolled sideways to get to the next screen - maybe that's where Thunderbird is?
4.Do you mean App Store by any chance? If you do mean APpMart, I would be wary. I would be wary of downloading and installing anything that's NOT from the Mac App Store, even if it's from the developer's own website. App Store apps are screened for malware and other annoyances. You yourself have seen uTorrent as an example.

That's not to say that anything from a developer's website is unsafe, it is just that one should exercise extra caution while doing so.
5.Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just move all those into your Documents folder and you're good to go.
6.LibreOffice is a great suite, and unless you depend greatly on complex Excel macros or VB Scripts etc., you may not find any need to even download MS Office.

Apple themselves have Pages, Numbers and Keynote as their "Office Suite", all of which should already be there in your system. These correspond to Word, Excel and Powerpoint, and read those MS Office files out of the box and also save to those formats. So, you may not even need LibreOffice! Check it out though, not everyone likes Pages/Numbers/Keynote.
7. There's no need for you to do any of those things. the built in PDF reader is excellent. It's called Preview and it opens not just PDFs, but also other types of files.

As for creating PDFs, again, you don't need to buy anything. The Mac has a built in PDF creator. All you need is to "print" any file, and instead of actually sending it to printer, there is an option to create a PDF.
8.You don't have to restart the system. It works from the moment you create it.

9.Yes, I thought so. This is not a virus per se, it is a browser toolbar and hijack thing that switches your search to mybrowser. They bundle this with a lot of so-called free software that you can download from various sites, including once reputed sites like softpedia or mac-related download sites, or even some developer websites.
This is basically like adware. It does not harm your system or your data, but it does monetise your searches by forcing you to go through them. It is an extreme irritant and a pain to get rid of.

Again, I would recommend that you limit yourself as far as possible to downloading apps only from the Mac App Store, use as much of the built-in apps as possible, and install Ghostery.

00. Please remember, you are no longer in the Windows world - you do not have to keep buying a lot of apps and things and drivers and third party stuff. The OS does almost everything you want, out of the box. Please just ask someone here from now on before buying or downloading anything.
Thanks a lot. I had another session today morning and have some positive results:

1. IITK has become a Linux territory in the Computer Centre & Science. The majority of users are Wondows. I was with one of the Windows gurus yesterday and he is also running a Mac. He did not mention about the VPN client. I will check out. Macs are there but very few.
He did advise about taking a backup using the Time Machine which I have done today.
2.Let me see how to organize and access my area on the Mac. Then I will move the files across.
3. You are right I had not installed it, since I saw remains of the installation on my USB Pen. Did a copy and paste and it is now in the correct area. I was having a similar problem with LibreOffice snd the Help files could not install. This is how I caught the problem.
4. Yes, it is the App Store. I also managed to get some Nikon software and the Driver for my Canon Pixma. Both had installed smoothly. None were from the App Store.
5. I have to figure out where my area is, how to access it, and will then move across all the files.
6. Installed and seems to be going great. I used in Windows as well. I will see how the Document editor, Spreadsheet and Presentation Manager are. Of course they will be different, but if they can handle Microsoft Formats then I am quite happy.
7.Will try them out. My need is essentially to delete pages from pdf files, combine a few into one, so I will try the built in App out.
8. I found the issue today. Mac does not allow the substitution of a single keystroke, so my trick was not working.
9. Good, but FortiClent did catch it!! Harmless maybe, but can be a pain. I have run into its kin a couple of times in Windows.
00. Thanks for the advice. I have to learn and Master the AppStore. What have I downloaded, Printer Drivers, Nikon Drivers, and Libre Office, Thunderbird and Chrome. Also, FortiClient as per IITK Intranet advice.

Thanks once again for guiding me and getting me going.

At the moment I am stuck at 5, ie locating my area and then figuring out how to copy stuff into it.

Last edited by sgiitk : 6th July 2016 at 15:29.
Old 6th July 2016, 15:57   #1837
akp
BHPian

Quote:
At the moment I am stuck at 5, ie locating my area and then figuring out how to copy stuff into it.
Before doing anything else, open the "System preferences" and go to the trackpad settings, and try out various options there under "Point & Click", "Scroll & Zoom" and "More gestures" - they would improve your mac experience a lot.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 12:02   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE*

I am afraid I don't understand what you mean by your area. You have your Home folder (the one with your username), and under that you will have a few other folders, one of them being "Documents". That would be your "area" for all the data files you create.

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please do let me know.

Also, (and this is just my personal opinion), I no longer find a need to organise my data into various nested folder structures like I had to do in Windows. I just keep everything in one flat structure in my Documents folder. Spotlight (the built in search tool) is extremely powerful and helps me locate any data or file I need in a jiffy - all I need to do is type in a few characters of the filename or even some words from the content of the file, and it lists out all files that have that name or content and I locate my files that way.

Basically what I do is, let the computer do the heavy lifting.

Edited to add: I also use Spotlight as my application launcher. I just hit CMD-SPACE, start typing the name of the app, it finds it and I hit ENTER to launch. Much quicker than using mouse/trackpad to scroll the Applications folder or even quicker than using Launchpad and clicking on the app.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 7th July 2016 at 12:05.
Old 7th July 2016, 15:51   #1839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am afraid I don't understand what you mean by your area. You have your Home folder..., and under that you will have a few other folders, one of them being "Documents". .....

Also, (and this is just my personal opinion), I no longer find a need to organise my data into various nested folder structures like I had to do in Windows. ...
Basically what I do is, let the computer do the heavy lifting.

Edited to add: I also use Spotlight as my application launcher. I just hit CMD-SPACE, start typing the name of the app, it finds it and I hit ENTER to launch. Much quicker than using mouse/trackpad to scroll the Applications folder or even quicker than using Launchpad and clicking on the app.
Thanks. I have a fairly flat structure in Windows. I have essentially>Documents>sg and then a set of folders under it. At most one or two levels under that - like ID_docs with folders for Aadhar, PAN, Passport, etc.

I will try and copy the entire E:\Documents\sg of my Windows machine to the documents area. Any quick hints on how to do that.

I will try and add Ghostery to my default browser which is now Chrome. Also, Try and find spotlight.

I think I am now starting to understand the Mac world.
Old 7th July 2016, 17:47   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I have a fairly flat structure in Windows. I have essentially>Documents>sg and then a set of folders under it. At most one or two levels under that - like ID_docs with folders for Aadhar, PAN, Passport, etc.

I will try and copy the entire E:\Documents\sg of my Windows machine to the documents area. Any quick hints on how to do that.

I will try and add Ghostery to my default browser which is now Chrome. Also, Try and find spotlight.

I think I am now starting to understand the Mac world.
Copying from Windows to Mac can be done through an external drive. There are other ways, but they are more tedious for a beginner.

Ghostery - add it to Safari also. And my recommendation would be to get rid of Chrome and use Safari. If you absolutely have to use a browser other than Safari, may I recommend Firefox?

I am biased against Chrome because it is from Google and it is basically spying on you, no other reason. Completely personal, that's all.

Spotlight can be invoked in two ways - the very top right of your screen you see a magnifying glass. That's Spotlight. Click on it. The second way is the easier one - type CMD-SPACE keys together. CMD (Command) is the one on either side of the spacebar.

Cheers
Old 7th July 2016, 20:59   #1841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ghostery - add it to Safari also. And my recommendation would be to get rid of Chrome and use Safari. If you absolutely have to use a browser other than Safari, may I recommend Firefox?
Firefox was my favorite browser until I just switched to Chrome. I still keep it on my Win machines. The main plus of Chrome is that a lot of stuff, can be shared across platforms. In fact I may move my Firefox profile across as well. I will add ghostery to Safari.
Old 8th July 2016, 11:13   #1842
BHPian

SGIITK, I was wrong and MXB was right - there has indeed been a surge in Mac malware in recent times. Here are two cases in the very recent past, one right after another:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/193900/

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/07/06/...c-eleanor-faq/

This further reinforces the warning to try as far as possible to download apps only from the Mac App Store. However, knowing that not all good apps are available on the App Store for various reasons, I strongly recommend exercising caution while downloading from developer websites.

Mac OSX does have built in protection in the form of Gatekeeper which does do a lot to safeguard against such malware, so please do read about Gatekeeper and be careful.

Cheers
Old 8th July 2016, 11:51   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian

As a platform gains popularity Malware is an occupational hazard. The malware architects, and they are sharp, will target only when it is worth it. One primary target of any malware, make sure it propagates, else it will die.
Old 8th July 2016, 11:58   #1844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Before doing anything else, open the "System preferences" and go to the trackpad settings, and try out various options there under "Point & Click", "Scroll & Zoom" and "More gestures" - they would improve your mac experience a lot.
At the moment I am keeping this attempt at customization in abeyance since let me first get familiar with the OS. Only then will I try and customize to my taste. Basically, the developer put in what they think is a good general selection.

Last edited by sgiitk : 8th July 2016 at 12:02.
Old 8th July 2016, 19:55   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
At the moment I am keeping this attempt at customization in abeyance since let me first get familiar with the OS. Only then will I try and customize to my taste. Basically, the developer put in what they think is a good general selection.
Congratulations on your MBP. May I know what MBP you went for? The retina or the non retina?

I'm pretty sure you will love using OSX!
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote