Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th July 2016, 20:02   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Congratulations on your MBP. May I know what MBP you went for? The retina or the non retina?

I'm pretty sure you will love using OSX!
Thanks. It is 13", i5, 8GB, 256GB Retina.

I am slowly coming to terms with the OS X. After having been in DOS/Windows world since 1984 or so there is a lot of unlearning / relearning to be done.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 21:14   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thanks. It is 13", i5, 8GB, 256GB Retina.

I am slowly coming to terms with the OS X. After having been in DOS/Windows world since 1984 or so there is a lot of unlearning / relearning to be done.
I had found the same really challenging when I had switched to MBA. So much so, that after just 2-3 days, I had completely formatted the laptop removing any and all signs of OSX and installed Windows 7 on it.

I ended up selling my MBA soon after because the 256GB wasn't cutting it for me, but I still miss it every single day just because of the brilliant piece of hardware it is. I'll buy one back once 1TB SSD becomes more main stream or I can upgrade the SSDs on MBA.

Good luck with your transition.
rdst_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 09:42   #1848
Distinguished - BHPian

@rdst_1; You could have got the Transcend or Sandisk 256MB plug in which goes into the card slot. I is also small and does not project out.

I am biting the bullet and will be copying my stuff across from the Windows machine today. Next hurdle try and integrate the Thunderbird profile from my PC into the Mac.
Old 9th July 2016, 09:56   #1849
BHPian

Quote:
@rdst_1; You could have got the Transcend or Sandisk 256MB plug in which goes into the card slot. I is also small and does not project out.

I am biting the bullet and will be copying my stuff across from the Windows machine today. Next hurdle try and integrate the Thunderbird profile from my PC into the Mac.
That just wouldn't have worked for me. I switched from MBA to a simple lenovo laptop with a Haswell i5 M processor and installed a 1TB SSD in it.
After experiencing the fast SSD speeds I just can't go back to a normal storage device.
I am currently contemplating getting another 1TB SSD and installing it in the DVD drive bay because even the current one is filled up to the brim.
Old 10th July 2016, 07:25   #1850
Distinguished - BHPian

Well I have a 500GB dive in my Lenovo Flex 14 and by good management of the HDD I have about 120GB free. Remember I have transferred over 15 years of work files.

A lot of archive type material can be kept of a USB Hard drive.

Last edited by sgiitk : 10th July 2016 at 07:26.
Old 10th July 2016, 08:36   #1851
BHPian

Given the fact external HDDs have become very small and light, I feel 128 GB SSD in laptop is good enough, at least for a Mac. Whatever extra space you need, you can cram it in an external drive and carry on the laptop case. This is especially so because, all the companies charge a hefty premium for something a above 250 GB in built SSD. I have finally zeroed in on a MacBook Air 13 inch.
printh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 09:53   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Given the fact external HDDs have become very small and light, I feel 128 GB SSD in laptop is good enough, at least for a Mac. Whatever extra space you need, you can cram it in an external drive and carry on the laptop case. This is especially so because, all the companies charge a hefty premium for something a above 250 GB in built SSD. I have finally zeroed in on a MacBook Air 13 inch.
Well everyone has different storage needs.
And no matter how small external HDDs have become, they feel as a freak limb attached to such a good looking petite MBA.
My music collection alone is more than 250GB. Add to that around 500GB of torrents that I am nearly always seeding so for me anything less than 1TB of internal storage would mean having the external drive permanently attached, which just can't work for anyone.
As much as I would love to go back to a MBA, I think my next upgrade will end up being a petite ultrabook which can still take regular SSDs .
Old 10th July 2016, 11:06   #1853
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of questions:
1. Can the Macbook Pro be booted from an external CD/DVD drive or Hard Disk drive with bootable Windows 7 ? If yes, How ?

2. How to access an external NTFS 3TB Hard Disk ? Mac Book Pro connects to the hard disk but it is read-only, cannot write anything! Any option other than changing the HDD to Mac format ? Can't do that, so looking for alternatives.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 11:09   #1854
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Couple of questions:
1. Can the Macbook Pro be booted from an external CD/DVD drive or Hard Disk drive with bootable Windows 7 ? If yes, How ?

2. How to access an external NTFS 3TB Hard Disk ? Mac Book Pro connects to the hard disk but it is read-only, cannot write anything! Any option other than changing the HDD to Mac format ? Can't do that, so looking for alternatives.

Im not sure about external disk booting. Internal dual booting is obviously possible.
To enable ntfs support, you require 3rd party software like tuxera ntfs (there are many more, this is what i use). Incase you do decide to swap format, exFat is commonly supported across all the platforms.
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 11:11   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Well everyone has different storage needs.
And no matter how small external HDDs have become, they feel as a freak limb attached to such a good looking petite MBA.
My music collection alone is more than 250GB. Add to that around 500GB of torrents that I am nearly always seeding so for me anything less than 1TB of internal storage would mean having the external drive permanently attached, which just can't work for anyone.
As much as I would love to go back to a MBA, I think my next upgrade will end up being a petite ultrabook which can still take regular SSDs .
An ideal solution might be to consider using a NAS storage. I have a Synology 2 bay NAS storage that could also stream music to my TV. My storage requirements are not as high as yours, but I'm totally satisfied with the automatic backups and the streaming capability. I now have access to my music from anywhere!
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 11:16   #1856
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
To enable ntfs support, you require 3rd party software like tuxera ntfs (there are many more, this is what i use).
Thanks!
How much does Tuxera cost ? I don't think it is free, right ?
Old 10th July 2016, 18:36   #1857
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
How much does Tuxera cost ? I don't think it is free, right ?

Paragon ntfs should cost around 20 USD, tuxera would be around 30 USD for a single license. Since we had purchased 5 macs together (5 friends clubbed), we managed to get some additional software from the dealer, including tuxera.
Old 10th July 2016, 20:31   #1858
BHPian

Quote:
Couple of questions:

Im replying again. I just remembered that some custom bootloaders like refit/refind allow you to boot a mac using an external disk. Im just not sure whether windows can run from within an external drive. I remember reading about windows 2 go being introduced, but never came around to trying it.
A simple way out, if power is not much of a concern, is to setup windows within a virtual environment like virtualbox/parallels on an external drive.
Old 11th July 2016, 10:50   #1859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Couple of questions:
The old rule used to be that you must have the Enterprise Edition of the OS. I think Win7 has one. I am not too sure about Win10 though.
Old 11th July 2016, 10:57   #1860
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The old rule used to be that you must have the Enterprise Edition of the OS. I think Win7 has one. I am not too sure about Win10 though.
Tried booting with Ubuntu from an external DVD drive, worked like a charm, I think Windows will also not be a problem