Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 13th July 2016, 09:20   #1861
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I am now getting comfortable after about 10 days. This is after I managed to move my Thunderbird profile across from the PC to the Mac, and also installed Adobe Acrobat 11 Pro (IIT has a site license), and MsOffice 11.

I have also installed the drivers for my Printers (Samsung SCX-3400 MFP, and Canon Pixma iP7270) both on wireless. Having the IP addresses made life very simple. Only Googly I faced was the Samsung. I tried the Easy Print Manager and hit a wall (redirection into a Windows area). So found the Universal Print Manager. I thought this was the end of the day. But then ran into No Scanner Software when I clicked the Scan button on the EPM. So finally located the Scanner Software and installed it and all are fine. I am still using only 130GB or so of my space with only 31GB in the Apps. I also have the Canon Easy Photoprint for image printing on the Inkjet, and also Canon ImageBrowserEX, and the Nikon SLR software.

After getting MSOffice I removed Libre Office as it was messing up formatting on files.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th July 2016 at 09:21.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 09:56   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
After getting MSOffice I removed Libre Office as it was messing up formatting on files.
Maybe a bit digging into the issue could have resolved it. Here is answer by a Mac user on MS Word file formatting issues in Libre Office: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/quest...#post-id-70620

If you are not comfortable with LO then can also try more sophisticated WPS office if its available for Mac, though its available for iOS, Linux and Windows.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 10:23   #1863
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks tbppjpr; I managed to get Office 11 so just reverted to it. Maybe I could have struggled and fixed the formatting with LibreOffice but took the easier option. Thanks for the link nevertheless.
Old 20th July 2016, 16:47   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks tbppjpr; I managed to get Office 11 so just reverted to it. Maybe I could have struggled and fixed the formatting with LibreOffice but took the easier option. Thanks for the link nevertheless.
Sir did you try the Mac office apps namely Keynote, words and Numbers. I guess for the post 2012 Mac owner these are free. And after the latest update you can save the file in default format compatible with MS office. I have MS office and Mac office apps and both of them equally. I find Mac App feature rich and easier.
dinesh6481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 17:15   #1865
mxh
BHPian

Two days ago my dad's Macbook pro refused to start. It shows a "?" on the screen and in classic mac way no error message was displayed. He took it to the service station and they told him they are getting lots of complaints ever since the monsoons have started. They will take at least 1 week to give the diagnosis and the estimate. Quite disappointed with Apple's quality since the laptop has been used only at home and that too very lightly by my parents who are not very literate in Macs. I'm pretty sure it is some hardware problem and there will be a huge bill to fix it. Couple of my friends' iphones recently conked off. One guy had taken some insurance and he used it to replace the device. The other guy just ditched the iphone and has gone back to Android.
mxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 18:14   #1866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It shows a "?" on the screen and in classic mac way no error message was displayed.
Can be software issue as well, try internet recovery or else service centre guys should able to fix it.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 09:21   #1867
Distinguished - BHPian

Where I am using one of the bundled packages is unlocking pdf files. Preview does it for free with ease as one can 'Export as pdf'. I need it for the Income Tax work.
Old 21st July 2016, 12:46   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Two days ago my dad's Macbook pro refused to start. It shows a "?" on the screen and in classic mac way no error message was displayed. He took it to the service station and they told him they are getting lots of complaints ever since the monsoons have started. They will take at least 1 week to give the diagnosis and the estimate. Quite disappointed with Apple's quality since the laptop has been used only at home and that too very lightly by my parents who are not very literate in Macs. I'm pretty sure it is some hardware problem and there will be a huge bill to fix it. Couple of my friends' iphones recently conked off. One guy had taken some insurance and he used it to replace the device. The other guy just ditched the iphone and has gone back to Android.
MXH, please read this (starting from "If your Mac does not start up"): https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204323

Please note, this has nothing to do with monsoons. What's this service technician - an astrologer?

This is purely a glitch where the Mac is unable to find the system folders for some reason. Can happen with any OS, at any time.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 21st July 2016 at 12:49. Reason: Add more detail
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 14:11   #1869
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
MXH, please read this (starting from "If your Mac does not start up"): https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204323

Please note, this has nothing to do with monsoons. What's this service technician - an astrologer?

This is purely a glitch where the Mac is unable to find the system folders for some reason. Can happen with any OS, at any time.

Cheers
Thanks tilt, right now the machine is with the service centre, will update once I come to know where the issue lies.
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:46   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

The technician may not be wrong. Every time there is lightening in the neighborhood during the monsoon, the transients and the surge kill network cards, modems and routers in our office.

Every year we promise that we will fit suitable lightening surge suppressors in the network but that is another sob story.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 07:17   #1871
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Question Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
The finally damages INR 116,000 for Pro 13 Retina, 8GB, 256GB.
The specs are quite underwhelming considering the asking price.

What's the CPU on this thing, is it at least an i7 ?
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 07:36   #1872
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The technician may not be wrong. Every time there is lightening in the neighborhood during the monsoon, the transients and the surge kill network cards, modems and routers in our office.

Every year we promise that we will fit suitable lightening surge suppressors in the network but that is another sob story.
Got an update from the service centre, one of the internal cables was bad and needed to be replaced. Total damages will be Rs 2000 for replacing the cable, which was a known product issue. The cable has been ordered from Bangalore since the service station doesn't keep any inventory I'm told... So still waiting :(
Old 24th July 2016, 09:00   #1873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post

Is is an i5, but has a graphics engine. i7 is there on the 15" units. Yes, the price does look a bit steep, but then remember the iOS is the full hog, OS which includes a Word processor, Spreadsheet, presentation system, a pdf processor, etc. When you include these goodies it is not as bad.

Incidentally, has anyone installed Tally using Wine. I need some PM discussions please.
Old 24th July 2016, 09:12   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post

When I picked mine up I figured the Retina display @ 13 inches was just not worth it with its non upgradability.
(my specs in case it is of any use to anyone planning to pick one up)

Instead went for the MD101 non-retina. (Compared the retina vs non-retina at an Apple store side by side.. for a 13" scren size it was not a deal breaker at all..)

Macbook Pro 2.5Gz i5 - 56k (now available at 54k)
upgraded to 16gb RAM - 6.6k
upgraded to 500gb SSD - 14.2k (Samsung EVO - The SSD makes a BIG difference in performance)
OS - elCapitan 10.11.5

Total - 76.8k you get a much faster running Mac with additional storage when compared to any of the off the shelf Retina models 256 non SSD.

Additional re-used the default 500gb HDD as a Time m/c backup USB disk
$34 for Windows 10 (runs on a VM for those moments when you need Windows)
The Windows VM on an SSD with 6gb RAM allocated boots up in 15 seconds.

Last edited by Fillmore : 24th July 2016 at 09:14.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 09:46   #1875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Total - 76.8k you get a much faster running Mac with additional storage when compared to any of the off the shelf Retina models 256 non SSD.
Agreed! In fact these systems are slowly getting away from the market. And the new Apple ones do not come with the regular SATA on which you can replace to a SSD and also you dont get a slot where you can update the DRAM. It comes fused these days to the board. Hard disk is now on a PCIe interface these days.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote