Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 24th July 2016, 13:50   #1876
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Macbook Pro 2.5Gz i5 - 56k (now available at 54k)
upgraded to 16gb RAM - 6.6k
upgraded to 500gb SSD - 14.2k (Samsung EVO - The SSD makes a BIG difference in performance)
OS - elCapitan 10.11.5

Total - 76.8k you get a much faster running Mac with additional storage when compared to any of the off the shelf Retina models 256 non SSD.
This is one beast of a upgrade. Did you get it done from Apple store or after-market? I asked to bump up the SSD of my Macbook air at the time of purchase. however they flatly refused to do anything on new machine and i was like .

However the SE refused to budge and i had no other option. thought of going for after-market way but haven't muster the courage for that. now i have gotten used to with regular backup on my WD HDD and its working for me. but yeah off and on i feel the need to upgrade the SSD.

Last edited by ampere : 24th July 2016 at 14:13. Reason: Fixed Quotes
dinesh6481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 15:05   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Got an update from the service centre, one of the internal cables was bad and needed to be replaced. Total damages will be Rs 2000 for replacing the cable, which was a known product issue. The cable has been ordered from Bangalore since the service station doesn't keep any inventory I'm told... So still waiting :(
MXH, if as you say it's a known issue, then you shouldn't be expected to pay for it at all. Have you tried talking to Apple about this (instead of talking to the service centre)?

Also, do you have AppleCare for this Mac?

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 15:39   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh6481 View Post
but yeah off and on i feel the need to upgrade the SSD.

Refer iFixit Manuals and buy toolkit online. I added 256gb ssd in my 2011 iMac and made fusion drive. Laptops are easier to work with.

Just follow instructions and be patient. Don't lose temper and you can do a DIY.

Next month planning to plonk in another SSD in place of optical drive slot.
blackwasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 17:11   #1879
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
MXH, if as you say it's a known issue, then you shouldn't be expected to pay for it at all. Have you tried talking to Apple about this (instead of talking to the service centre)?

Also, do you have AppleCare for this Mac?

Cheers
I had 3 years of Apple Care which just got over and then this issue came up so I didn't take it up with Apple directly. The service centre said they can't do it for free since it's out of warranty. Actually the part has almost no charge since it's just a cable; it's basically the diagnosis, troubleshooting and labour charges. While I wait for it to be repaired in the meanwhile I dug out my old Dell XPS M1530 and gave it to my parents, other than the weak battery it's still chugging along fine for the last 7 years.
mxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 20:00   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
This is one beast of a upgrade. Did you get it done from Apple store or after-market? ....
Neither , I did it myself.
Its very simple and the MD101 is the only model that supports both the upgrades without voiding any warranty.

Have included the videos I used in case it is of use to anyone.

1. Upgrade your RAM
2. Change your HDD to an SSD

RAM + SSD upgrade very well explained on the vid below, I simply followed his instructions.

(The dude in the vid shows you how to swap the Optical drive as well, but I did not do that. Optical drive swap would void your warranty btw)

3. Install the latest OS off the Net on your blank SSD
Used the following video.
Step 1 connect to your wifi,
Step 2 format the disk
Step 3 Install OS
*note: This will restore your SSD with the OS that came factory installed.
After this you can update the regular default Mac OS upgrade to get to the latest OS.

Follow this video and everything works exactly right off the bat.

If you have a time m/c backup, you can restore your data from that post upgrade.

Note: These 2 upgrades are possible only on the MD101 model.

As for the Original HDD that came with it , just pickup a Rs 250/-
HDD - USB case and plug it in. You can re-format it and use it as a backup disk.

Last edited by Fillmore : 24th July 2016 at 20:19.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 20:16   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
This is one beast of a upgrade. Did you get it done from Apple store or after-market? I asked to bump up the SSD of my Macbook air at the time of purchase. however they flatly refused to do anything on new machine and i was like .

However the SE refused to budge and i had no other option. thought of going for after-market way but haven't muster the courage for that. now i have gotten used to with regular backup on my WD HDD and its working for me. but yeah off and on i feel the need to upgrade the SSD.

The old mbp and the desktops still come with Sata interface disks, which are easy to swap out. The current (post 2012) air and pro range come with a specific sized ssd, meant only for macs, to save on size.
The only vendor offering ssd upgrade kits that i am aware of is "owc". They provide all the tools required for an upgrade, along with a tutorial video.

If you dont want to take the risk, you can add storage by having a look at the transcend jetdrive lite. It is basically a half sd card which sits flush in the sd card port.
kkkkkaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 01:29   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Neither , I did it myself.
Its very simple and the MD101 is the only model that supports both the upgrades without voiding any warranty

3. Install the latest OS off the Net on your blank SSD
Used the following video.
Step 1 connect to your wifi,
Step 2 format the disk
Step 3 Install OS
*note: This will restore your SSD with the OS that came factory installed.
After this you can update the regular default Mac OS upgrade to get to the latest OS

If you have a time m/c backup, you can restore your data from that post upgrade.

Note: These 2 upgrades are possible only on the MD101 model.

As for the Original HDD that came with it , just pickup a Rs 250/-
HDD - USB case and plug it in. You can re-format it and use it as a backup disk.
Thank you very much for detail post. I am planning to change the battery by October so will try my hand in Ram too. As far as time is concern, I am one lucky man with time. Lots of it these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
The old mbp and the desktops still come with Sata interface disks, which are easy to swap out. The current (post 2012) air and pro range come with a specific sized ssd, meant only for macs, to save on size.
If you dont want to take the risk, you can add storage by having a look at the transcend jetdrive lite. It is basically a half sd card which sits flush in the sd card port.
I have 2012 MBA which was bought from Toronto. The moment you mention the country to Apple dealership they behave as if stung by Bee. The Jetdrive lite option seems to be good for a no-risk guy like me.
dinesh6481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 01:31   #1883
BHPian

Looks like finally i would be joining the mac family with a Hackintosh built.
The Specification finalized today are as follows

Processor - Intel i5 6600K
Motherboard - MSI Z170A SLI Plus
Ram - 2 x 8gb Crucial budget DDR4
Graphic card - Gigabyte 750Ti 2gb
SSD - 250 gb Samsung Evo 850
Hard Disk - 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Liquid CPU Cooler - CORSAIR H55
Power Supply - Corsair VS 650
Wifi Adapter - TP-Link N900
Cabinet - Deepcool Dukase V2

More or less have followed the tonymac recommendation with respect to components.
Processor and motherboard already bought from US at 20-25% less the Lamington Road (Mumbai) rates. Hopefully will have a problem free built and affordable way or me to get into the mac ecosystem with modern hardware. Excited for my first mac.

Last edited by johannskaria : 12th August 2016 at 01:39.
johannskaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 02:56   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Looks like finally i would be joining the mac family with a Hackintosh built.
The Specification finalized today are as follows

Processor - Intel i5 6600K
Motherboard - MSI Z170A SLI Plus
Ram - 2 x 8gb Crucial budget DDR4
Graphic card - Gigabyte 750Ti 2gb
SSD - 250 gb Samsung Evo 850
Hard Disk - 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Liquid CPU Cooler - CORSAIR H55
Power Supply - Corsair VS 650
Wifi Adapter - TP-Link N900
Cabinet - Deepcool Dukase V2

More or less have followed the tonymac recommendation with respect to components.
Processor and motherboard already bought from US at 20-25% less the Lamington Road (Mumbai) rates. Hopefully will have a problem free built and affordable way or me to get into the mac ecosystem with modern hardware. Excited for my first mac.
I didn't knew you can assemble a desktop and install MacOS on it.
That is super cool. You should have a lovely mac desktop and a much lesser price.

Can genuine MacOS be bought and then installed? or you will have to get a cracked copy?

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 03:35   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I didn't knew you can assemble a desktop and install MacOS on it.
That is super cool. You should have a lovely mac desktop and a much lesser price.

Can genuine MacOS be bought and then installed? or you will have to get a cracked copy?

Rachit
Thats the aim.

You cannot, in my knowledge, buy a copy of Mac OS like windows as it is always bundled with Apple hardware and not sold separately. Hence 'Hackintosh'.

Last edited by johannskaria : 12th August 2016 at 03:40.
johannskaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 08:17   #1886
Senior - BHPian

My sister got a MacBook Air online. She wants to buy extended warranty on it - however, I don't see any way to do this online. Is the only way to buy extended warranty from Apple going to a physical dealer and getting it?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 13:19   #1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My sister got a MacBook Air online. She wants to buy extended warranty on it - however, I don't see any way to do this online. Is the only way to buy extended warranty from Apple going to a physical dealer and getting it?

Search for Apple care protection plan, available on Snapdeal and eBay for Rs 16xxx/- Amazon it is shockingly expensive at 45k 😱
vtecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 10:02   #1888
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems that the release date for Sierra has been announced.

http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/07/macos...8OS+X+Daily%29

I remember a post saying that it may be desirable to download it separately and then install. This gives you a route to reverting. Can someone advise please.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 11:14   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Seems that the release date for Sierra has been announced.

http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/07/macos...8OS+X+Daily%29

I remember a post saying that it may be desirable to download it separately and then install. This gives you a route to reverting. Can someone advise please.
I did not upgrade to El Capitan, probably a better idea to hold off until Sierra then
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 16:07   #1890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I did not upgrade to El Capitan, probably a better idea to hold off until Sierra then
Assuming Apple allows you to go directly. In that case I will suggest wait for a month for Sierra to stabilize, and then download, and Install. Also, load on Apple servers will decrease.

Last edited by sgiitk : 8th September 2016 at 16:08.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote