Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 23rd October 2016, 08:10   #1906
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The touchpad on my Macbook Pro (2014 buy) has been acting funny these past few days.

The press is very soft on both corners: left and right bottom, and there's no "click" sound on pressing.

Anyone with similar experience? Is it just routine wear and tear of the spring? or a larger issue? Any simple solution?

I mostly use an external mouse so not very worried.
I had the same problem with my MBP 2014 and nothing seemed to help for a few days. However, I pressed all over the trackpad - one finger and one place at a time and the problem just disappeared. It may also be because of the way you lift your MBP. Avoid pressure on trackpad while lifting or putting down MBP.
akshay81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 08:45   #1907
Senior - BHPian

No point trying to save the download - and especially for sierra please do get a time machine backup first.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 11:27   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
There should be click, get it checked, else invest in Trackpad 2, you will stop using mouse surely
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
I had the same problem with my MBP 2014 and nothing seemed to help for a few days. However, I pressed all over the trackpad - one finger and one place at a time and the problem just disappeared. It may also be because of the way you lift your MBP. Avoid pressure on trackpad while lifting or putting down MBP.
I have a feeling it must be more because of dust accumulation because the trackpad can be pressed, just that I don't get the click sound.

A search gave me two possible reasons: dust accumulation, or battery swelling.

Came across this video where the guy accesses the touchpad and loosens it to allow more space for the battery.

I don't have the courage, for lack of a better term, to try opening the Mac. Done it plenty times on the Dell and Vaio to clean the fan or change the CPU battery; but doubt I'll open the Mac!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:47   #1909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
*SNIP*
However, having taken a Time Machine backup I did not try and save the Sierra upgrade. Any hints on this. I think first official update should be round then corner.
SG, the install usually deletes the executable after installing. Therefore what I usually do is once the download finishes and the upgrade program starts running, I cancel the upgrade, copy the install file onto my Downloads folder and then run the install executable again from the original location (i.e. from the Applications folder). This way, I do not have to re-download.

However, since you have not done this, you should still be able to download the install file from the App Store. It will be there.

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 15:24   #1910
BHPian

Quote:

I don't have the courage, for lack of a better term, to try opening the Mac. Done it plenty times on the Dell and Vaio to clean the fan or change the CPU battery; but doubt I'll open the Mac!
Opening up and tinkering with a MacBook Pro (especially the MD101) is a lot simpler than most Windows running laptops in my experience.

If you've worked with the convoluted housing designs from HP or Dell, this should be a cakewalk.

As you haven't mentioned the exact model of you MB, select the appropriate category and continue - https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_13%22
harsh79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 18:27   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
I have a feeling it must be more because of dust accumulation because the trackpad can be pressed, just that I don't get the click sound.
======
May be in my case the accumulated dust must have got dislodged and the problem went away. If its in warranty or if you have protection plan, take it to authorized service center.
akshay81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 13:25   #1912
BHPian

I have no hate for apple & buy most of their products. I waited patiently for this launch to see whether replacing my 2011 15" MBP (A1286) made sense. It doesn't. Instead I've ordered 16 gigs of ddr3 ram, a new 512 evo pro SSD, and last but not least the high res matte screen assembly ! I'm already on a 256 gig ssd with 8 gigs of ram and coupled with the "aging" 2.2 i7 it's blazing fast ... I can only imagine the next set of upgrades will make it even more so.
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 16:25   #1913
BHPian

All the parts arrived in the mail !

The only "ugly" part of my MBP15 was the scratched and dented screen assembly, and now its gone The new high resolution matte screen assembly cost me 90$ on eBay and was in mint condition !

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_0051.jpg

The new screen doesn't reflect light at all, I could work directly under a bulb without worrying about it; it stays true to its "anti-glare" claim.

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_0052.jpg

I will experiment with different colour profiles and will calibrate the screen later today. Very pleased with the outcome.

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_0054.jpg
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 17:09   #1914
BHPian

Has anyone bought the new MacBook Pro 2016 model with the touch bar?
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 18:53   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
Has anyone bought the new MacBook Pro 2016 model with the touch bar?
I've tried it out. It is actually quite nice if you're looking for a more powerful Air.

If you're a serious / power user you might get the previous generation macbook pro and load it up with ssd and ram. Thanksgiving and the associated discounts are around the corner if you have someone to buy one for you stateside.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 04:46   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you save a unlocked pdf file. Most files when unlocked can be easily save using 'Export as pdf' in Preview. However, some files are not amenable to this and demand the 'Owner Password'.

Any suggestions or tricks. Right now I mail the files to my PC, then print as pdf and mail them back.
Try online services/sites such as pdfunlock.com they have HTTPS connection too if you want to upload confidential files.

Upload your files, it will try to unlock itself, will fail, then will ask for password. You enter the password and a PDF of your file without password is downloaded on your machine.
If you are wary of uploading your confidential documents then use it for generic ones.
I have used it for my ALL locked PDF documents for past several years now.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 13th November 2016 at 04:52.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 09:07   #1917
Distinguished - BHPian

I should have expected it but.... I was filling the Passport form on Acrobat Pro. It takes the Validate and Save button, but does nothing. I was forced to export the pdf file to my Windows machine and then work from there.

One more thing : What is the preferred route to installing Windows - Boot Camp or a VM. The latter will lock out all files and folders, so accessing them may be tough.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 09:27   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
What is the preferred route to installing Windows - Boot Camp or a VM. The latter will lock out all files and folders, so accessing them may be tough.
Both will lock out files and folders.
However with a VM there is a concept of Shared Folders.
You can create some folders which are shared between the host OS and the VM.

So its as simple as doing an Switch to local OS copy and paste the files you need from your local host into these folders and access them from the VM. The same is true for reverse transfer from the VM to local host.
You can do this on the fly no need to restart.

Edit : I never used Bootcamp , so just assumed Bootcamp would not let you access all the files/folder.
Not sure of this , someone else can confirm.

Last edited by Fillmore : 15th November 2016 at 09:32. Reason: additional info added
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 10:40   #1919
BHPian

With Parallels Desktop the Bootcamp partition can be used just like the any other virtual machine OS image. Things will be much faster if using a Bootcamp partition.
harsh79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 11:03   #1920
BHPian

Does anyone know a place around Koramangala where I can get the hard disk of my Mac mini replaced with an ssd? The forum store won't do it.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote