Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th November 2016, 15:13   #1921
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

@harsh79; Obviously you prefer BootCamp. Two points:

Is it a normal dual boot configuration as in a Windows/Linux system?

Is the data partition or rather area accessible from either?
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 15:34   #1922
BHPian

Actually I don't, have used it extensively in the past but with Parallels getting better, lighter and faster over the years, I don't see the utility anymore. Unless one's regularly booting into the Windows partition or using the MacBook exclusively for Windows (I know people that do).

If you do go the Bootcamp route, yes the booting is just like a regular dual boot system and the Windows partition is very much accessible and can be added as a VM in Parallels.
harsh79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 13:07   #1923
Distinguished - BHPian

@harsh79; Please provide some guidance for Parallels. Source, size, etc. I will be most grateful. Please do so here or on PM, as you like.
Old 16th November 2016, 13:42   #1924
BHPian

Glad to help.. PM sent.
Old 14th December 2016, 21:26   #1925
BHPian

I'm using a HP dv6516tx laptop since 2006 and it has served me very well for 11 years. It has now slowly started showing signs of aging and hence I'm planning for an upgrade. I checked lots of Windows laptops but most of them comes with Windows 10 and I hate that OS. I have seen my wife struggling with Windows 10 on her 1 year old laptop. Therefore I'm not keen on going with Windows OS again and hence planning to switch to Mac OS.

I'm thinking of buying a Macbook Pro 15 inch (Mid 2015) with Core i7 (Cystalwell) 2.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. It has a good holiday deal here in US and is available for $1700. Apple sells it for $1999. I need a 15 inch display and this is the cheapest available from Apple. I don't want to go with 2016 models as they are quite expensive. I intend to use it for at least for next 10 years. Is it worth buying this old model for this price now?

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 14th December 2016 at 21:27.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 22:18   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I'm using a HP dv6516tx laptop since 2006 and it has served me very well for 11 years. It has now slowly started showing signs of aging and hence I'm planning for an upgrade. I checked lots of Windows laptops but most of them comes with Windows 10 and I hate that OS. I have seen my wife struggling with Windows 10 on her 1 year old laptop. Therefore I'm not keen on going with Windows OS again and hence planning to switch to Mac OS.

I'm thinking of buying a Macbook Pro 15 inch (Mid 2015) with Core i7 (Cystalwell) 2.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. It has a good holiday deal here in US and is available for $1700. Apple sells it for $1999. I need a 15 inch display and this is the cheapest available from Apple. I don't want to go with 2016 models as they are quite expensive. I intend to use it for at least for next 10 years. Is it worth buying this old model for this price now?
In my humble opinion Yes. I have the same laptop but the 2012 model. Still works like a charm and can put many newer laptops to shame for Photoshop or video editing in Final Cut pro. It is a workhorse and you will never feel lack of power. Plus the hardware stays consistent in performance for a long time.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 02:01   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Funny you're contemplating moving from Windows to OS X, I've been waiting for new MacBook Pros for a couple of years and, having seen what they brought to market, have decided against buying.

To answer your question, no, do not buy a MacBook Pro with a 256GB SSD if you plan on using it for 10+ years. 256GB is really not enough even today, unless your usage is very light, so in ten or more years' time it will be ENTIRELY inadequate. These MacBook Pro SSDs are either very hard to upgrade or entirely not upgrade able, so you will be stuck with what you buy for the next 10 years or more. Take that into consideration before buying. I'd suggest you get the largest SSD MBP you can afford, if you're hell-bent on going MBP or just get a really good Windows 10 laptop for around the same price. Win 10 isn't as bad as you seem to think it is, I use OS X as well as Win 10, and I don't find Win 10 that bad, even if my (admittedly massively overclocked) PC isn't quite as stable as my MBP.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 15th December 2016 at 02:02.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 02:14   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Funny you're contemplating moving from Windows to OS X, I've been waiting for new MacBook Pros for a couple of years and, having seen what they brought to market, have decided against buying.

To answer your question, no, do not buy a MacBook Pro with a 256GB SSD if you plan on using it for 10+ years. 256GB is really not enough even today, unless your usage is very light, so in ten or more years' time it will be ENTIRELY inadequate. These MacBook Pro SSDs are either very hard to upgrade or entirely not upgrade able, so you will be stuck with what you buy for the next 10 years or more. Take that into consideration before buying. I'd suggest you get the largest SSD MBP you can afford, if you're hell-bent on going MBP or just get a really good Windows 10 laptop for around the same price. Win 10 isn't as bad as you seem to think it is, I use OS X as well as Win 10, and I don't find Win 10 that bad, even if my (admittedly massively overclocked) PC isn't quite as stable as my MBP.
I agree to you on the Hard Disk space. I consider myself to be very disciplined in terms of what I keep on my laptop. But after 4 years I do feel more Disk space just gives you that extra freedom. On the other hand, I have a 1 TB hard drive and that takes care of space issues. I am waiting for the SSD based external drives to become cheaper and would get that one to have 2 rounds of backups of pictures and all and in that case 256GB SSD hard drive on laptop should do fine, I guess. But a very fair point.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 12:02   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Not only will the performance be a non issue for atleast 5 years, my machine looks like it's almost new and I'm in my fifth year. Seriously, it is incredible how the unibody shell holds up over time. I do not take any special care and my MBP has never worn a case.

I'm using the same computer and I'd advise you to go for max RAM and SSD available, or atleast as high as you can afford it to go. Prioritise the RAM. 16GB RAM won't feel limiting now but in 5 years it might. I got my machine in 2012 with 16GB RAM standard so in effect this spec itself is 5 years old.
ach1lles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 12:26   #1930
Team-BHP Support

The Macbooks have moved to PCIe based SSD interface as compared to SATA, simply because in future SATA connectors may not be able to scale up to the speeds. From that point of view once the warranty goes it should be in theory possible to change a 256GB SSD to an 500GB/1TB on the same interface. (Now PCIe instead of SATA)

I have a 2011 Mac mini with 500GB hard disk. 2 years ago I changed it to a 500GB SSD on the same SATA interface. I also have a 2008 Macbook for which I changed to 256GB SSD. So I am expecting this should be possible for the hard-disk for the newer Macbooks too.

But yes, Apple has derailed the DRAM upgrade. Their new Macbooks now have the DRAMs soldered on to the board.

Last edited by ampere : 15th December 2016 at 12:44.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 12:37   #1931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying a Macbook Pro 15 inch (Mid 2015) with Core i7 (Cystalwell) 2.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD.
If you are ok with using an external hard disk as time machine and regularly move out old data, then 256 SSD will not be an issue. I have been living with one for last 1 year or so and very ok with it. But i do move old stuff out every 3 months or so, to avoid filling up the HDD. And since it is a personal use computer, don't have to hold too much data in it.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 14:13   #1932
Senior - BHPian

I have Windows 7 installed with bootcamp.

Whenever I use windows, the bottom portion of the MacBook Pro heats up quite a bit.

Not the case when I use it with Mac OS.

Any pointers?
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 15:23   #1933
Distinguished - BHPian

@DRIV3R; what is your experience with Bootcamp. I am still debating the Bootcamp v Parallels issue. Heating up looks like the CPU drawing more juice when running Windoze. Not surprised since MS has never been known to write efficient code. Mostly it is a 'kludge' which gets the job done.
Old 15th December 2016, 16:19   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@DRIV3R; what is your experience with Bootcamp. I am still debating the Bootcamp v Parallels issue. Heating up looks like the CPU drawing more juice when running Windoze. Not surprised since MS has never been known to write efficient code. Mostly it is a 'kludge' which gets the job done.
If your machine is one of the newer SSD models and you can afford keep the VM on the main SSD drive. Don't bother with Bootcamp.

Just replaced my Mid-2009 MBP with a Mid-2015 retina and with the Windows 10 VM on the main drive, everything I need Windows for; works super super fast. Was no slouch on the 2009 machine either, which had a SSD installed and the RAM maxed out.

Start by using the trial from Parallels (if you haven't already), if it isn't to your liking, Bootcamp is always an option.
Old 15th December 2016, 19:49   #1935
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Still works like a charm and can put many newer laptops to shame for Photoshop or video editing in Final Cut pro. It is a workhorse and you will never feel lack of power. Plus the hardware stays consistent in performance for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Not only will the performance be a non issue for atleast 5 years, my machine looks like it's almost new and I'm in my fifth year. Seriously, it is incredible how the unibody shell holds up over time. I do not take any special care and my MBP has never worn a case.
This is the main reason I'm planning to go with the MacBook Pro. The HP laptop which I bought 11 years back never let me down anytime. But the new range of HP (which my wife owns) does not feel as solid as how it was few years back. She is already facing lots of issues with WiFi, etc. I want something that should just work without any issues for a long period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
To answer your question, no, do not buy a MacBook Pro with a 256GB SSD if you plan on using it for 10+ years. 256GB is really not enough even today, unless your usage is very light, so in ten or more years' time it will be ENTIRELY inadequate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you are ok with using an external hard disk as time machine and regularly move out old data, then 256 SSD will not be an issue.
The disk size does not matter much as I store most of the things in cloud and external hard disk. The laptop which I use now has just 64 GB of space and about half the disk space is still free.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote