Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th December 2016, 21:26   #1936
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Ok, I think I have praised the Macbooks way too much and it jinxed my laptop. 2 days ago, I worked on it in the night and left it on sleep. Next day my wife messages me in office that it is not starting. I go home and try and actually it became a brick. Nothing was happening. I tried NVRAM reset and SVM reset and all that but nothing was happening. The only thing that felt out of place was the charger kept showing charging when according to my calculation laptop was fully charged. I could not sleep the whole night in tension and planned to go to the service center next morning. Next morning before leaving for the service center, I prayed and tried once again and the Laptop started. I kept working on it for a couple of hours on charging and battery and everything felt normal. I thanked god and took a breath of sigh. But, the next day it becomes a brick again.

I am not sure what is happening. I am planning to take it to the service center tomorrow. Its the 2012 Macbook Pro 15inch with Retina Display. I am just terrified of the possible repair bill that can happen.

Any pointers of what the issue can be. Today also the laptop charger just kept showing orange light for more than 3 hours which is generally not how long it takes to charge it. Before this everything with the laptop was fine.

Thanks

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 09:55   #1937
Senior - BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] or Edit original post to add reply. Also avoid quoting entire large posts as replies. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

The disk size does not matter much as I store most of the things in cloud and external hard disk. The laptop which I use now has just 64 GB of space and about half the disk space is still free.
This sounds as though you're basically planning on using the MacBook Pro as a content consumption device, in which case, I'd strongly recommend you check out the 12.9" iPad Pro or, if you can wait three months, wait for the second-gen 12.9" iPad Pro. They are ideal content consumption devices and also come with up to 256GB of storage for very much less than a MacBook Pro would cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Ok, I think I have praised the Macbooks way too much and it jinxed my laptop.
=======
Before this everything with the laptop was fine.

Thanks

Rachit
Try charging it with a different charger, just for starters? Could be a charger gone bad? Hope that's all it is, if it's a hardware problem on the device itself...I shudder to think what they'll quote to fix it. Be better to just get a new device, imo, unless the repair cost is relatively low (say 30k or less) :-( Good luck!

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th December 2016 at 10:07. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] or Edit original post to add reply. Thanks.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 10:11   #1938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post

Any pointers of what the issue can be. Today also the laptop charger just kept showing orange light for more than 3 hours which is generally not how long it takes to charge it. Before this everything with the laptop was fine.

Thanks

Rachit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Try charging it with a different charger, just for starters? Could be a charger gone bad?
Do check the charger pins also, i once had paper stuck inside which panicked me for no reason Edit:

Another reason could be a failing battery. Take it to an apple store and see what they have to say.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th December 2016 at 10:13.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 00:18   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I shudder to think what they'll quote to fix it. Be better to just get a new device, imo, unless the repair cost is relatively low (say 30k or less) :-( Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Take it to an apple store and see what they have to say.
Thank you for your wishes guys!!

Well, I have a good news and a bad news.
Good news is that the laptop is back without me spending any money. The service center guy reset the battery and was out in 5 mins and the laptop was back.

The bad news is, I think he really does not know why it happened. He said, it can happen because of bad USBs. I asked him what does he mean by bad USBs and he had no answer. The problem is I had not used any unknown USB drive. I had only used my External Hard Disk and my iPhone charger which are a regular for this laptop. The bigger bad news is, he said, if the USB is bad you will only get to know after and the laptop would switch off again. This can lead to Power Supply issues and basically would require a mother board change which will cost 50K.

I dont know what to take of this and what precautions to use other than to pray hard.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 10:48   #1940
Distinguished - BHPian

Two quick ones:

1. Today all of a sudden I find the set of symbols in 'Show Emojis and Symbols' has changed and reduced. The Rupee Symbol is gone and ₨ appeared. Has the Rupee symbol vanished?

2. My query about Unlocking & Saving pdf files remains. While I am able to unlock and save most files going through the print>save as pdf route, those with an 'owner's password' are not amenable to this treatment. I find even the Vodafone bills suffer from this problem.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 13:05   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Two quick ones:

2. My query about Unlocking & Saving pdf files remains. While I am able to unlock and save most files going through the print>save as pdf route, those with an 'owner's password' are not amenable to this treatment. I find even the Vodafone bills suffer from this problem.
If I understand correctly, you are using Preview for pdf files (couldn't locate your query). In that case you can try using Acrobat reader.
akshay81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 17:57   #1942
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Two quick ones:

Did you try the first option listed here? As I mentioned in this post, I could use it on a form 26AS file on my mac. As for vodafone bills, the usual print to pdf option works fine for me.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 21:46   #1943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Did you try the first option listed here? As I mentioned in this post, I could use it on a form 26AS file on my mac. As for vodafone bills, the usual print to pdf option works fine for me.
Thanks. I used the browser and managed to unlock and save. Only I had to drop the file into the Tab, no sweat there. Somehow open in browser was not working (maybe as I have Chrome as the default). As for the Rupee symbol it mysteriously reappeared. So I am kosher.

Only one minor one now, Rupee appears pretty bad in Excel or Word. Can I try out the Fordian Font, or any other font which has Rupee in it. In Windows I normally use Mangal. Will installing it in OS/X be of any help. Also, I find that Devanagri text which is fine in Windoze is messed up on the Mac. Again will Mangal work. If so what is the easiest way of porting across the font.
Old 10th January 2017, 17:12   #1944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope, you had a look at this reply (iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)) to your post. Did you try that ?
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 09:40   #1945
Distinguished - BHPian

@tanwaramit; The trick of using the browser as an unlocking tool as suggested by @akp; seems to be working beautifully. Thanks to all those who helped out.

Only the new query about Devanagri on Mac (esp MS Office) remains, for now.
Old 20th January 2017, 21:09   #1946
BHPian

I have a MBP bought in 2012; unfortunately - it has been running extremely slow off late; I have even reinstalled the IOS; still not much luck.

Any immediate tips that can help me address this issue.

Also, my wife's iPhone 6 has free space of 4 GB - but she still keeps getting message - Storage is Full or no Free Space Available. Off Topic here I reckon, but do try and help
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 01:14   #1947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
I have a MBP bought in 2012; unfortunately - it has been running extremely slow off late; I have even reinstalled the IOS; still not much luck.

Any immediate tips that can help me address this issue.

Also, my wife's iPhone 6 has free space of 4 GB - but she still keeps getting message - Storage is Full or no Free Space Available. Off Topic here I reckon, but do try and help
Does your MBP have a spinning hard drive or an SSD? If it has a HDD and it's >50% full it will definitely feel slower than if it's relatively empty. If it has an SSD do you have TRIM enabled? If TRIM is not enabled, a four + year old SSD will be running well below its rated speed. I have seen old SSDs run barely faster than fast HDDs because of no TRIM.

When you say you reinstalled the OS, do you mean you did a full reformat and reinstall and the drive is now empty? Also, have you got an anti-virus program? If not download Sophos, it's free.

As for the iPhone, is it trying to download an iOS update or something that would require more than the available free space?
Old 1st February 2017, 16:50   #1948
BHPian

Thinking of getting a Macbook Air (128gb) for casual home use. Checked at the apple stores, it's working out to ~58-60k after discounts & cashback. Might bite the bullet. The Pro starts at close to a lakh and is waay out of my budget. The storage issue doesn't bother me as I will use a external hard disk. I do plan to watch movies and tv shows. Have got conflicting opinions about the screen resolution on the internet. Thoughts please? Worth buying the Air at this point?

Last edited by promit : 1st February 2017 at 16:51.
promit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 17:50   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Have got conflicting opinions about the screen resolution on the internet. Thoughts please? Worth buying the Air at this point?

I have both MacBook Air and MacBook Pro and having used both extensively, for the kind of use you're expecting I'd say go with MacBook Air without a doubt. If you have never used/seen a Retina MacBook you'll like the display of MBA, however yes, it's not on par with the Pro's Retina but still is a good display, better than the 1080p panels from HP and Dell in same range and is decent enough for entertainment use. MBA is fast and lag free for almost any task you'd throw at it except gaming and heavy video editing, can handle a bit of video editing without any problems tho. Generally Apple also has a decent cycle of keeping their Macs up to date so you can expect the MBA to receive updates a minimum till 2020/21. Air is a worthy buy compared to Pro if you don't prioritize the better display (resolution/viewing angles) and faster processor for heavy usage such as gaming and editing.
Ruchir031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 00:38   #1950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Thinking of getting a Macbook Air (128gb) for casual home use. Checked at the apple stores, it's working out to ~58-60k after discounts & cashback. Might bite the bullet. The Pro starts at close to a lakh and is waay out of my budget. The storage issue doesn't bother me as I will use a external hard disk. I do plan to watch movies and tv shows. Have got conflicting opinions about the screen resolution on the internet. Thoughts please? Worth buying the Air at this point?
The Macbook Air is almost out of time. It's been entirely eclipsed by the newer non-pro Macbooks and the Pros are in another league altogether. I would not buy an Air today, simply because of how horrid the screen is compared to anything else Apple makes.

The non-pro Macbooks are due to be updated within the next couple of months. I'd say if you can wait, wait and then decide once you've had a chance to see what the new Macbooks are all about.