Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th February 2017, 13:10   #1951
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I have never connected my lappy to data from a Mobile. I need to connect my Mac (and also a Windoze 10 system) to my Reliance Jio mobile(s). Can someone please either give a link or better still give the stepwise menu for this. I will prefer a wireless connection through my Android phone.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 13:59   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have never connected my lappy to data from a Mobile. I need to connect my Mac (and also a Windoze 10 system) to my Reliance Jio mobile(s). Can someone please either give a link or better still give the stepwise menu for this. I will prefer a wireless connection through my Android phone.
I think the steps should be very easy . I use an iPhone and connecting that to Mac is seamless . Go to "Tethering and mobile Hotspot" option in your .Android phone and select "Setup" wifi hotspot . Go to you Mac and search for wi-fi network with your Android phones names . You should be ready to go .
csnanjappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 14:25   #1953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
I think the steps should be very easy . I use an iPhone and connecting that to Mac is seamless . Go to "Tethering and mobile Hotspot" option in your .Android phone and select "Setup" wifi hotspot . Go to you Mac and search for wi-fi network with your Android phones names . You should be ready to go .
The latest update on the iPhone 7 doesnt have personal hotspot. However, in the mac it might work. Need to check.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 17:05   #1954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The latest update on the iPhone 7 doesnt have personal hotspot. However, in the mac it might work. Need to check.
the latest update for the iphone 7.(10.2.1) Has the personal hotspot in settings right under mobile data. Hope this helps.
lilMonSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 13:17   #1955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Thanks. I was able to connect quite easily. Selected Tethering & Hotspot > Setup WiFi hotspot > selected encryption and went off. Then chose the same link on the Mac.

One small problem, I was unable to connect my printer which was through my Wireless Router.

Apart fro the printer, the link worked beautifully, only ate up the battery of my Motorola Style.
Old 7th February 2017, 15:16   #1956
BHPian

A power surge a couple of months back fried my MacBook Pro's charger. Luckily it was not connected to the machine at that point. My iPad charger and my wireless charger also fell victim to it.

I checked for the prices of the charger online. It is in the range of 4-6K. There are third party chargers from dealers in Amazon (like Artis etc). They are significantly cheaper at 1.5K a piece.

Has anybody used them before or have you guys religiously stuck to Apple accessories? Need an opinion on it to finalize the buy.

Thank you!

Last edited by SchumiFan : 7th February 2017 at 15:19.
SchumiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 16:16   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are significantly cheaper at 1.5K a piece.
Will be a lookalike, better avoid. Buy from Apple store.
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 16:58   #1958
BHPian

I used a non original charger once and regretted it, since the battery heats up. Had to replace both, the battery and charger. Dont risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
A power surge a couple of months back fried my MacBook Pro's charger. Luckily it was not connected to the machine at that point. My iPad charger and my wireless charger also fell victim to it.

Last edited by ampere : 7th February 2017 at 17:14. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 17:12   #1959
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A power surge a couple of months back fried my MacBook Pro's charger.
You also need to get a surge protector.
On the charger, I'd suggest you go with a genuine one from an apple retail store.

Even the old iPad's (Gen 3) USB-30 Pin cable costs 1.5K when bought as a genuine apple accessory
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 17:46   #1960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You also need to get a surge protector.
On the charger, I'd suggest you go with a genuine one from an apple retail store.

Even the old iPad's (Gen 3) USB-30 Pin cable costs 1.5K when bought as a genuine apple accessory
I had a Belkin Surge Protector. The Surge Protector is working fine now. It failed to do its job though. It happened around 3AM. I sort of woke up hearing some stippling sounds from it. But was too dozy to act on it. Taught me a lesson though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I used a non original charger once and regretted it, since the battery heats up. Had to replace both, the battery and charger. Dont risk it.
Thank you. I had that in the back of my mind. Battery will be a lot more expensive if it becomes faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Will be a lookalike, better avoid. Buy from Apple store.
Thank you sir. Will do.

Seems like the popular consensus is to go with genuine accessories. iPad charger can wait since I am hooking up the cable to a 5 port USB connector from Anker. It is doing the job well.

The Mac's charger is the first priority for me.

Thank you guys!
Old 7th February 2017, 22:08   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
A power surge a couple of months back fried my MacBook Pro's charger.
Oh, I hate that. I've lost more than a few adapters to some power issue or the other. I don't understand why they crap out when they're not even connected to the machine. It's an open circuit at that point and no current is flowing. Grrrr..

Quote:
Luckily it was not connected to the machine at that point.
They have an IC inbuilt just so a power variation doesn't fry the thing being charged.

Quote:
Need an opinion on it to finalize the buy.
Go for the Apple adapter only, if it is the MagSafe. For iOS devices there are many third party options available at about half the price, some are even better than Apple's own.
ach1lles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 09:38   #1962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Oh, I hate that. I've lost more than a few adapters to some power issue or the other. I don't understand why they crap out when they're not even connected to the machine. It's an open circuit at that point and no current is flowing. Grrrr..
The biggest enemy of any electronics is a voltage spike. What happens is that it blows some chips. Do not forget consumer grade chips (as used) are far less rugged that MIL spec chips.
Old 8th February 2017, 17:36   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I checked for the prices of the charger online. It is in the range of 4-6K. There are third party chargers from dealers in Amazon (like Artis etc). They are significantly cheaper at 1.5K a piece.

Has anybody used them before or have you guys religiously stuck to Apple accessories? Need an opinion on it to finalize the buy.

Thank you!
If you have a 12.9" iPad Pro, get the 29W Macbook USB-C charger and a USB-C to Lightning cable. It will charge your iPad in less than half the time the original 12W iPad charger would have done.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 18:08   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
If you have a 12.9" iPad Pro, get the 29W Macbook USB-C charger and a USB-C to Lightning cable. It will charge your iPad in less than half the time the original 12W iPad charger would have done.
I have an iPad3 (the first one with Retina display). The USB multi port I am using is doing good. I am able to use the iPad while charging and charge gets incremented.

Thank you for the advice. Will use it when I eventually upgrade

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 16th February 2017, 13:36   #1965
BHPian

picked up my first MacBook Pro in 2011, finally replacing it with the new pro in 2017 !

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_1582.jpg

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_1590.jpg

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_1591.jpg

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_1592.jpg

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_1593.jpg

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_1594.jpg
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote