Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2017, 13:45   #1966
BHPian
 
csnanjappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 49 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
picked up my first MacBook Pro in 2011, finally replacing it with the new pro in 2017 !
What did you do with old one , I have 2010 model and is still doing good but its been gone through one cycle of parts replacements(Motherboard , Speakers , HDD , Keyboard , RAM Upgrade & Battery too ). Contemplating about buying a new one with retina but unsure what to do with old one .
csnanjappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 13:50   #1967
BHPian
 
csnanjappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 49 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
A power surge a couple of months back fried my MacBook Pro's charger. Luckily it was not connected to the machine at that point. My iPad charger and my wireless charger also fell victim to it.

I checked for the prices of the charger online. It is in the range of 4-6K. There are third party chargers from dealers in Amazon (like Artis etc). They are significantly cheaper at 1.5K a piece.

Has anybody used them before or have you guys religiously stuck to Apple accessories? Need an opinion on it to finalize the buy.

Thank you!
I have been using a Macbook charger that I brought on ebay for 17$ , Its been a year and is doing good . Never brought anything directly from Apple India , their charges are exorbitant . Once i checked with them to replace my Macbook keyboard and they told it would cost me 35K . Brought a keyboard and tool set from amazon.com for 60$ and replaced on my own .
csnanjappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 13:59   #1968
BHPian
 
reihem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
What did you do with old one , I have 2010 model and is still doing good but its been gone through one cycle of parts replacements(Motherboard , Speakers , HDD , Keyboard , RAM Upgrade & Battery too ). Contemplating about buying a new one with retina but unsure what to do with old one .
I still use the old one at home. I use the new one for travel.

The old one (A1286 15" MBP) was upgraded with the following over the last year or so:

1. Ram was upgraded to 16 GB. I know they say it maxes out at 8GB but the chipset will support 16.

2. The HDD was replaced with a Samsung EVO SSD; I went with a 512 GB one.

3. The battery was replaced.

4. The screen assembly was replaced with the 'high resolution anti glare' screen which can be sourced off eBay.

It is blazing fast, but the weight is more than I can handle given the amount I travel. In between I used an Air 11" for travel. It was ridiculously slow (fine for regular use but practically stopped working with large data files on excel) and the screen was just far to small.


iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_1595.jpg

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-img_1597.jpg

Last edited by reihem : 16th February 2017 at 14:12.
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 18:35   #1969
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Hi, I am in the same boat having an early 2011 MBP 15" now running on a 512SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

Now planning to get the new 13.3" but am stuck between the new ly launched model and the outgoing one as in the new one has the M.2 protocol SSD which is and the outgoing one has a SATA HDD which i can replace with a SSD but then I do not get the retina screen.

I hope I am not missing anything here as in does your new MBP come with the M2.0 or SATA storage and what is the display type? If M2.0 is it possible to upgrade to a higher storage capacity.



Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
picked up my first MacBook Pro in 2011, finally replacing it with the new pro in 2017 !
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 10:13   #1970
BHPian
 
reihem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi, I am in the same boat having an early 2011 MBP 15" now running on a 512SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

Now planning to get the new 13.3" but am stuck between the new ly launched model and the outgoing one as in the new one has the M.2 protocol SSD which is and the outgoing one has a SATA HDD which i can replace with a SSD but then I do not get the retina screen.

I hope I am not missing anything here as in does your new MBP come with the M2.0 or SATA storage and what is the display type? If M2.0 is it possible to upgrade to a higher storage capacity.
You are right, the storage on the newest Pros can't be upgraded. Apple has soldered the SSD to the motherboard. Note that even the battery is glued-in.

I opened mine up and looked around. Its a nightmare to open, pentalobe security screws to start things off.

The screen continues to be Retina but now features the P3 color gamut. Yellows and reds will pop in a manner that is easily noticeable.
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 11:33   #1971
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,089
Thanked: 3,650 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
I have been using a Macbook charger that I brought on ebay for 17$ , Its been a year and is doing good . Never brought anything directly from Apple India , their charges are exorbitant . Once i checked with them to replace my Macbook keyboard and they told it would cost me 35K . Brought a keyboard and tool set from amazon.com for 60$ and replaced on my own .
You did the wise thing. The same is the case with everybody. My son managed to get some soft drink into his Lenovo keyboard in Gurugram. The agents were just not interested. Finally managed to get the keyboard replaced through my contacts in Kanpur. Seems it was (undeclared) company policy not to bother about laptops not under an AMC or extended warranty.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 16:26   #1972
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 343 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
I still use the old one at home. I use the new one for travel.

The old one (A1286 15" MBP) was upgraded with the following over the last year or so:

1. Ram was upgraded to 16 GB. I know they say it maxes out at 8GB but the chipset will support 16.

2. The HDD was replaced with a Samsung EVO SSD; I went with a 512 GB one.

3. The battery was replaced.

4. The screen assembly was replaced with the 'high resolution anti glare' screen which can be sourced off eBay.

It is blazing fast, but the weight is more than I can handle given the amount I travel. In between I used an Air 11" for travel. It was ridiculously slow (fine for regular use but practically stopped working with large data files on excel) and the screen was just far to small.


Attachment 1609057

Attachment 1609058
Can you run Geekbench 4 on your new MBP and monitor what speed the CPU turbos to with Intel Power Gadget? I'd be very keen to know. My 2.9 i7 is supposed to boost to 3.8 GHz with single-threaded loads but it never goes over 3.4 - 3.45 GHz, regardless of load.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 09:35   #1973
BHPian
 
reihem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I havent tested the maxed clock speed yet; however, my geek bench 5 score was 3902 for single core and 7612 for multi core.

What is absolutely ridiculous on the new Pro's is the SSD read and write speeds.
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:14   #1974
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 246
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I went against the tide and got a Macbook Air 13 - 128 GB for quite a good price couple of days ago. I don't think I could have done better in the given price band. It comes supplied with a 2 pin charger and an extension which has 3 pins. When charging the system with the 2 pin one, there is static or a tingling feeling when touching the body of the system. Is this normal?
promit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:11   #1975
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,089
Thanked: 3,650 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

@promit; Try to reverse the lead, and if the static vanishes, then it is a leakage from the lappy and charger. It should not be happening, but I have found it not infrequently. You also have the solution with the 2-pin plug.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 10:03   #1976
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 74
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

After spending 5 years with my Dell laptop, the mobo gave in prompting me to go laptop shopping. Like Promit, I'm in interested in Apple as well. My usage doesn't max beyond lightroom and photoshop. I've looked at all the windows laptops within 50k and concluded that they're a jack of all trades and better at none. If I have to pay 46K to get ASUS R558UQ (The one with the best specs within 50K), play games at medium to low settings, and have to carry around that bulk doesn't make sense to me. I might as well put in 7k and buy the 2015 Macbook Air which has a superb battery and does the basic task well.

Now, I see that there is a 2012 Macbook Pro on sale for a similar price. This got me wondering. So I want to ask you - since this MBP is upgradeable what do you suggest? is the MBP powerful enough to run Light room and PS?Would adding 16 GIGs RAM and a SSD make sense to keep up with Air (Or the current lot?) I don't care about the screen. MBP or 2015 MBA (8GB). I'm a keeper by the way. I don't upgrade as frequently unless it is broke.

Thanks,
Ryuu
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 11:44   #1977
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 252
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
After spending 5 years with my Dell laptop, the mobo gave in prompting me to go laptop shopping. Like Promit, I'm in interested in Apple as well. My usage doesn't max beyond lightroom and photoshop. I've looked at all the windows laptops within 50k and concluded that they're a jack of all trades and better at none. If I have to pay 46K to get ASUS R558UQ (The one with the best specs within 50K), play games at medium to low settings, and have to carry around that bulk doesn't make sense to me. I might as well put in 7k and buy the 2015 Macbook Air which has a superb battery and does the basic task well.

Now, I see that there is a 2012 Macbook Pro on sale for a similar price. This got me wondering. So I want to ask you - since this MBP is upgradeable what do you suggest? is the MBP powerful enough to run Light room and PS?Would adding 16 GIGs RAM and a SSD make sense to keep up with Air (Or the current lot?) I don't care about the screen. MBP or 2015 MBA (8GB). I'm a keeper by the way. I don't upgrade as frequently unless it is broke.

Thanks,
Ryuu
I will try to answer with my experience of macbook air 11inch 2013 model.
I run lightroom & photoshop both on it with 4gb ram. I don't feel any lag with lightroom but one in a while with photoshop (doesn't bother me).

I would suggest you to go with 13 inch macbook air 2015 model costing 50k on Paytm after cashback. It comes with 8gb ram and 128gb ssd.

2012 Macbook Pro is quite bulky & heavy. it looses the purpose of going with apple device for portability. It has only 4gb ram and 4 years old processor if that helps.

Last edited by Nicky : 24th March 2017 at 11:45.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 11:53   #1978
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,604
Thanked: 2,589 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I went against the tide and got a Macbook Air 13 - 128 GB for quite a good price couple of days ago. I don't think I could have done better in the given price band. It comes supplied with a 2 pin charger and an extension which has 3 pins. When charging the system with the 2 pin one, there is static or a tingling feeling when touching the body of the system. Is this normal?
Yep; happens to me. I have a MBP from the US so it comes with the US-pin charger, I insert that in a 3-pin plug. I guess lack of proper earthing.

Happens with my iPhone as well when I use it with the Us-pin charger. No issue when I use an India-spec charger.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 12:02   #1979
BHPian
 
kkkkkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 171
Thanked: 121 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I went against the tide and got a Macbook Air 13 - 128 GB for quite a good price couple of days ago. I don't think I could have done better in the given price band. It comes supplied with a 2 pin charger and an extension which has 3 pins. When charging the system with the 2 pin one, there is static or a tingling feeling when touching the body of the system. Is this normal?

This is very normal, due to lack of earthing. The aluminum chassis is conducting electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
After spending 5 years with my Dell laptop, the mobo gave in prompting me to go laptop shopping. Like Promit, I'm in interested in Apple as well. My usage doesn't max beyond lightroom and photoshop. I've looked at all the windows laptops within 50k and concluded that they're a jack of all trades and better at none. If I have to pay 46K to get ASUS R558UQ (The one with the best specs within 50K), play games at medium to low settings, and have to carry around that bulk doesn't make sense to me. I might as well put in 7k and buy the 2015 Macbook Air which has a superb battery and does the basic task well.



Now, I see that there is a 2012 Macbook Pro on sale for a similar price. This got me wondering. So I want to ask you - since this MBP is upgradeable what do you suggest? is the MBP powerful enough to run Light room and PS?Would adding 16 GIGs RAM and a SSD make sense to keep up with Air (Or the current lot?) I don't care about the screen. MBP or 2015 MBA (8GB). I'm a keeper by the way. I don't upgrade as frequently unless it is broke.



Thanks,

Ryuu

My friend just bought the 8GB/128gb MBA for close to 50k. Even with the low voltage processor, its pretty close the the 2012 MBP, because of the newer architecture.
R/W speeds on apple's pcie ssd are far superior compared to what you will get with a sata ssd upgrade.

Incase you find the storage too low, transcend sells a product called the jetdrive. Sits flush in the SD card port, providing you compact extendable flash storage.
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 13:10   #1980
BHPian
 
harsh79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DL 3C
Posts: 311
Thanked: 552 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Now, I see that there is a 2012 Macbook Pro on sale for a similar price. This got me wondering. So I want to ask you - since this MBP is upgradeable what do you suggest? is the MBP powerful enough to run Light room and PS?Would adding 16 GIGs RAM and a SSD make sense to keep up with Air (Or the current lot?) I don't care about the screen. MBP or 2015 MBA (8GB). I'm a keeper by the way. I don't upgrade as frequently unless it is broke.

Thanks,
Ryuu
The new Air models aren't upgradeable, everything is soldered to the MB (only SSD can be upgraded on some slightly older models), the 2012 MBP MD101's RAM and HDD can be upgraded. The superdrive can also be swapped with an additional HDD.

That said, it still doesn't make sense to buy a 2012 machine with dated specifications in 2017.

The latest Air models aren't slouches by any stretch of one's imagination, it'll suffice and then some for the kind of work you intend to use it for.
harsh79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Safety , Think Abs !!! Beemer Street Experiences 73 28th November 2016 19:00
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again! rahul_intlad Commercial Vehicles 89 14th April 2016 12:09
Think Hyundai cars are slow? Think again. drifter The International Automotive Scene 3 27th September 2005 17:00
Think your a driving game/sim freak? Think Again.. Pferdestärke Shifting gears 10 25th June 2004 00:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:31.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks