Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2017, 20:22   #1981
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 75
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I went ahead and bought the 2015 MBA. For the requirements I have, this will suffice. At the price point ~50K, this makes more sense. Wouldn't have if it had a 80K price tag. Takes some getting used to this environment.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Regards,
Ryuu
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 11:08   #1982
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,693
Thanked: 2,759 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Update 10.12.4 is out for Sierra.

Among the most important things, it brings Night Shift to Mac OS. I've noticed a big difference in the viewing once Night Shift is activated on the iPhone; let's see how it pans out on the Mac.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 20:58   #1983
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 25
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Update 10.12.4 is out for Sierra.

Among the most important things, it brings Night Shift to Mac OS. I've noticed a big difference in the viewing once Night Shift is activated on the iPhone; let's see how it pans out on the Mac.

I checked it around. Works fine. They essentially replicated this concept from iPhone to MacBook. I found it convenient as I often tend to work late in night with the ambient lights off.
ashish.uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 01:01   #1984
BHPian
 
kkkkkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 173
Thanked: 124 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Update 10.12.4 is out for Sierra.



Among the most important things, it brings Night Shift to Mac OS. I've noticed a big difference in the viewing once Night Shift is activated on the iPhone; let's see how it pans out on the Mac.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish.uno View Post
I checked it around. Works fine. They essentially replicated this concept from iPhone to MacBook. I found it convenient as I often tend to work late in night with the ambient lights off.

Try using f.lux. Can set custom levels of light shifting, which will vary depending on time of sunset, the time you wake up at etc. Been using it since long, and find it better than the basic night shift introduced now.
kkkkkaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 10:53   #1985
BHPian
 
Couper72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 37
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Hey Guys,

My mac recently started over heating and shutting down so i decided to upgrade and am planning on getting the 13" MBP w/o touch bar and the following specs
  • 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
  • 8GB 1866MHz memory
  • 128GB PCIe-based SSD1
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Since this is also my work laptop, I have about 700 GB of data and am considering a Samsung 850 EVO SSD upgrade. Pl let me know your suggestions.


Thanks
- Dopesh.
Couper72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 12:03   #1986
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,717
Thanked: 7,413 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper72 View Post
  • 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
  • 8GB 1866MHz memory
  • 128GB PCIe-based SSD1
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Since this is also my work laptop, I have about 700 GB of data and am considering a Samsung 850 EVO SSD upgrade. Pl let me know your suggestions.


Thanks
- Dopesh.
Do check if the SSD would work since the new PCIe based SSD are quite different from the regular EVO SSD and is not a plug and play upgrade.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 14:35   #1987
BHPian
 
Couper72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 37
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do check if the SSD would work since the new PCIe based SSD are quite different from the regular EVO SSD and is not a plug and play upgrade.
Thanks Jaggu!! Will check and proceed accordingly.
Couper72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 15:39   #1988
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada / B'lore
Posts: 257
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I have noticed something new in my Late-2013 27" iMac. In the last three days, when I press the power button to turn the machine on, it takes much much longer to sound the "B-o-o-o-n-n-n-g" sound that indicates that the machine has been turned on.

Until now, the gap between pressing the power button and the chime was like a max of two seconds, now it takes around 10 seconds.

I am running Sierra 10.12.4, I have 16 GB RAM and a 3.12 TB Fusion drive FWIW.

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 16:19   #1989
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 313
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I am thinking of getting Transcend jet drive 128gb for Mac Air.

Are there ay other options? Is there any sd card convertor that does not protrude from card slot?
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 00:12   #1990
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

The PCIe based storage cannot be upgraded as this storage is in form of a card mounted on to the logic board rather than the SSD in a box that was plug and play in the previous generation. You may be able to unsolder the original card and resolder the new storage card but that would completely void any warranty on the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper72 View Post
Hey Guys,

My mac recently started over heating and shutting down so i decided to upgrade and am planning on getting the 13" MBP w/o touch bar and the following specs
  • 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
  • 8GB 1866MHz memory
  • 128GB PCIe-based SSD1
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Since this is also my work laptop, I have about 700 GB of data and am considering a Samsung 850 EVO SSD upgrade. Pl let me know your suggestions.


Thanks
- Dopesh.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 08:35   #1991
BHPian
 
kkkkkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 173
Thanked: 124 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I am thinking of getting Transcend jet drive 128gb for Mac Air.

Are there ay other options? Is there any sd card convertor that does not protrude from card slot?

Another option is the tardisk pear, which virtually merges with your existing internal disk, providing seamless expansion.

Only problem is, it is not officially available in India, and importing it bumps up the price to insane levels.
kkkkkaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 09:40   #1992
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 255
Thanked: 205 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I am thinking of getting Transcend jet drive 128gb for Mac Air.

Are there ay other options? Is there any sd card convertor that does not protrude from card slot?
I hope you have 13 inch macbook air with SD card slot.
One limitation would be that it's not compatible with bootcamp means you wont be able to install windows on it.

You can only use it to store files.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 10:29   #1993
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 277
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do check if the SSD would work since the new PCIe based SSD are quite different from the regular EVO SSD and is not a plug and play upgrade.
Thats the reason last year I went for the basic Mac Book Pro old model
You can customize it like no other without breaking any Warranty + it has the max# of ports.

Plonked in a 500 gb SSD drive + 16gb RAM
(Original HDD can be used as a Time m/c backup disk, just get a casing)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
DVD drive
Ethernet Port
2 USB drives
SD card slot
Thunderbolt port
FireWire port

The only thing lacking is the Iris display, but at 13" I don't care about that you can hardly make out any difference.
Performance front its quite fast post upgrade, 2.5gz i5 Mac OS Sierra works flawlessly.

After the RAM + SSD swap the performance boost is + 100%
I could see this when using iMovie after editing a huge video file when you do an Export, + during edits the smoothness in operations.

Dont get suckered into new pricy products just for the heck of it

Last edited by Fillmore : 12th April 2017 at 10:35.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 13:50   #1994
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 313
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I hope you have 13 inch macbook air with SD card slot.
One limitation would be that it's not compatible with bootcamp means you wont be able to install windows on it.

You can only use it to store files.
Oh Oh did not know that, now what? Have already ordered.

I was thinking of using the same to run Windows.

I believe bootcamp is to properly run windows but within Mac itself there is some option to run basic features of windows? Read that somewhere.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 14:14   #1995
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delhi/Noida
Posts: 53
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I agree with you on the upgrade route. I too have the same MBP and have upgrade the RAM to 16GB and replaced the hdd with ssd.

As far as the screen is concerned, you can use Retina Display Menu (RDM). It allows you to scale the resolution to values not supported by the native display.

I am currently running the MBP 2012 at 1920x1080 using RDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

The only thing lacking is the Iris display, but at 13" I don't care about that you can hardly make out any difference.
trance_nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Safety , Think Abs !!! Beemer Street Experiences 73 28th November 2016 19:00
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again! rahul_intlad Commercial Vehicles 89 14th April 2016 12:09
Think Hyundai cars are slow? Think again. drifter The International Automotive Scene 3 27th September 2005 17:00
Think your a driving game/sim freak? Think Again.. Pferdestärke Shifting gears 10 25th June 2004 00:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:11.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks