Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th May 2017, 10:24   #2026
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Tally on Mac

Over the past year I have become quite friendly with the Mac, and now there is only one application which is still on my Windows Laptop. I know a kludge called (I think) Wine allows this. Any experience of users with running Tally on the Mac under Wine?

I must thank this thread and users on it for making my switchover almost painless.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 10:34   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Thanks, I got the deal while browsing through the flipkart offers during their sale, they offered 10k for the old hp dv6000, bringing the price down to 46, plus 1k off on my credit card. Amazon today, has something similar but not that high a discount.

Media content can be stored externally, you can get about 10TB of storage for the premium apple is charging, or even cloud storage if you want anytime access.

I have a mac mini, bought in December 2015, and don't use any anti virus on that and the macbook air. I didn't transfer the old files though.
hii thanks for the information! I was also looking at the same flipkart deal last week but thought it was too good to be true where they are subtracting 15k directly for a used laptop, so how is the laptop exchange amount calculated as when we pay, the amount due is with the 15k subtracted and will i have to pay the remaining amount/ difference later
eg- if they have discounted 15k and my laptop value is 10k will i have to pay 5 k extra later
Thanks for your help!
vinitbhavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 11:19   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
hii thanks for the information! I was also looking at the same flipkart deal last week but thought it was too good to be true where they are subtracting 15k directly for a used laptop, so how is the laptop exchange amount calculated as when we pay, the amount due is with the 15k subtracted and will i have to pay the remaining amount/ difference later
eg- if they have discounted 15k and my laptop value is 10k will i have to pay 5 k extra later
Thanks for your help!
You have to give the brand of the laptop you're exchanging along with its serial number, the deduction is applied straightaway. There is no valuation as such, amazon has different trade in values though, based on brand and processor.

You don't have to pay anything extra after you buy the new unit.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 12:04   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Tally on Mac

Over the past year I have become quite friendly with the Mac, and now there is only one application which is still on my Windows Laptop. I know a kludge called (I think) Wine allows this. Any experience of users with running Tally on the Mac under Wine?

I must thank this thread and users on it for making my switchover almost painless.
I installed Tally and used with wine in my imac. But the person who helps me maintain accounts found it extremely difficult specially the short cut keys that they are used to. Had to install it on windows and that is used only for that.
earthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 12:48   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Tally on Mac

Had tried to install Busy using Crossover, didn't work.
harsh79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 13:47   #2031
BHPian

@vinitbhavi

I saw deals in amazon for around 48K for mac-book air, if you have existing laptop you can have 10000 more as exchange offer. Unless you do lot of photo editing you should be ok without retina display that macbook pro offers . Moreover air is much lighter than pro .
csnanjappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 16:09   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Tally on Mac

Wine, like you said, is a kludge, and so is Crossover which is based on Wine. Plus, like another poster responded, keyboard shortcuts may differ from what one is used to.

Is there something preventing you from using Tally on a Windows VM? And, if I remember correctly, do you already not have a Bootcamp Windows partition? Maybe you could run Tally on that?

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:32   #2033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
You have to give the brand of the laptop you're exchanging along with its serial number, the deduction is applied straightaway. There is no valuation as such, amazon has different trade in values though, based on brand and processor.

You don't have to pay anything extra after you buy the new unit.
hii thanks for the info and it was exactly as you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
@vinitbhavi

I saw deals in amazon for around 48K for mac-book air, if you have existing laptop you can have 10000 more as exchange offer. Unless you do lot of photo editing you should be ok without retina display that macbook pro offers . Moreover air is much lighter than pro .
hi thanks for the information to the both of you. As i write this im pleased to tell you'll im doing so on my shiny new MacBook Pro absolutely loving it.
This is the early 2015 model, 8Gb Ram, Force touch trackpad, retina display and 128 Gigs Ram which is only the sore point.It has also the ports however
The Ios software is amazing and after many many years of using a computer without a mouse which I didn't think was possible for me, the trackpad is just something else. Theres a reason why apple is apple
vinitbhavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:50   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tally on Mac
Will suggest you to buy Parallels and use windows simuntaneously, perhaps buy a trial version and depending on your experience decide.
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 15:11   #2035
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly off track

I am using Thunderbird as my mail client. Reason, I have over 1.5GB of old stuff, and T'bird format is not totally compatible with mailers.

Help of T'bird is more miss than hit. What I need to do is to change the font size on my mails, since it is coming out too small. How?
Old 20th May 2017, 19:22   #2036
BHPian

My 27" iMac went phut. Seems the culprit was the AMD Radeon graphics card. Understand that 27" iMacs manufactured during 2011/12 had this issue and Apple had a free replacement/repair program till 31st March 2017! And my Mac went belly up 2 months later. When apple support made sympathetic noises but no solution but to pay- Rs 44,000- wrote to Tim Cook. Got a call from some executive the next day and he asked a week to investigate. He did, and guess what? Same answer! Please pay for the replacement.
Any cheaper solutions?
earthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:32   #2037
Distinguished - BHPian

I have put a 1GB drive for Time Machine Backups. Of late I find the backup bombing out, and it takes a reformat to get is back. What is happening, Any fixes!
Old 22nd May 2017, 14:37   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
I have put a 1GB drive for Time Machine Backups. Of late I find the backup bombing out, and it takes a reformat to get is back. What is happening, Any fixes!
Did you mean to say 1TB instead of 1GB?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by bombing out?

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 14:45   #2039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Did you mean to say 1TB instead of 1GB?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by bombing out?

Cheers
Yes, the HDD is 1TB.

Bombing out means that the backup terminates with an error message.

One other query. I seems that someone fooling around has removed one of the downloads folders. Now where can I find it. To survive I have put a downloads alias on my desktop.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd May 2017 at 16:55. Reason: Back to back posts. Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:59   #2040
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bombing out means that the backup terminates with an error message.
What is the exact error message, that will help find what the exact issue is.

Quote:
One other query. I seems that someone fooling around has removed one of the downloads folders. Now where can I find it.
You can try searching in finder and see where it is and link the folder back to where it was.

Following link helps in understanding how the folder ca be accessed in different ways.

http://svgcuts.com/blog/2014/06/01/w...o-mac-edition/

http://osxdaily.com/2016/07/24/acces...nloads-folder/
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote