Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th May 2017, 12:27   #2056
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I have a 2011 MAC Book Pro 13".
I updated to MAC OS Sierra and ever since I've been having trouble with the USB ports. In the last 3 weeks the ports have completely stopped working. Is there a fix for this ?
Does reloading the OS fix this issue ?
Thanks.
no_boundaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 12:55   #2057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Thanks.
Did you try resetting the PRAM and SMC. That worked for me, i had one USB port misbehaving a while back.

Following link has details.

https://thenextweb.com/lifehacks/201...#.tnw_ignmRALI
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 15:39   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hii folks almost two weeks now with the MAC OS system and im absoluterly in love with it. A few doubts though
1) Will i have to buy word for Mac since i dont use the other office applications and would avoid buying since its only for personal use.
2) Have been struggling to make best use of the 128GB SSD wherein have bought an external JetDrive to store music and pics. However like in the PC the drive for transfer of iphone photos donsent show up on the MAC ( AM I doing something wrong)
3) Can i take my iphone back up on an external drive same one where time machine has been configured.
Will appreciate any help from you folks.
Many people have responded to you. Let me add my two cents. Use the built-in TextEdit. It's a fantastic app that no one seems to realise is there. It can read and write doc, rtf, txt, it can export to PDF, it can do a boatload of stuff as long as your needs are not complex.

iPhone - Apple does not expose the file system in iOS devices, therefore it is not possible to do what you said. You have to use iTunes and Photos to do anything on any iOS device. That said, you can configure iTunes and Photos to point their Libraries to your external HDD instead of the internal SSD. That was, your phone will be backed up onto your external.

I would recommend you have to separate HDDs for Time Machine and for other regular use. The very minimum you need is two separate partitions, one for Time Machine and one for other uses; but safe practice recommends two separate HDDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now another query. This time about Chrome Browser

I am unable to remove a bookmark. Seems to be a common issue on the Mac. Never faced this on the PC!
Use Safari, use Opera, use Firefox. I belong to the school of ABC (Anything But Chrome).

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
I have a 2011 MAC Book Pro 13".
I updated to MAC OS Sierra and ever since I've been having trouble with the USB ports. In the last 3 weeks the ports have completely stopped working. Is there a fix for this ?
Thanks.
I am on a Mid-2010 17" MBPro and am running Sierra. I do not have any trouble with my USB ports.

Do what Jaggu recommends - that usually sorts out most issues. If that does not help, then do consider the possibility that it could be a hardware issue that just coincidentally happened to manifest itself at the same time as your OS update.

Cheers

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th May 2017 at 15:56. Reason: merging back to back posts
tilt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 09:25   #2059
Distinguished - BHPian

@tilt; I switched to Chrome some three years ago, and also find the ecosystem growing. Now I have come to quite like it. I was on Firefox for a couple of decades or so. I still fire it up when chrome does not do what I want. Of course Firefox spawned TOR, which many of us know.

Last edited by sgiitk : 27th May 2017 at 09:26.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 15:35   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@tilt; I switched to Chrome some three years ago, and also find the ecosystem growing. Now I have come to quite like it. I was on Firefox for a couple of decades or so. I still fire it up when chrome does not do what I want. Of course Firefox spawned TOR, which many of us know.
To each his own As long as it floats your boat eh!

Did you get a resolution for your bookmark issue?

Cheers
tilt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 09:06   #2061
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Did you get a resolution for your bookmark issue?
No, no clue as to how to fix it. At the moment I am out of town, and should have a bit more time to figure it out.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 20:20   #2062
BHPian

Looking to buy the new 2017 Macbook Pro 13inch with the Kaby Lake processors. Only really want the i7 with 16Gb RAM and 1TB SSD.

Anyone know whereabouts in Pune or Mumbai I can get this? Have checked online but no one seems to be selling it yet.

Thanks!
s4ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 20:40   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Looking to buy the new 2017 Macbook Pro 13inch with the Kaby Lake processors. Only really want the i7 with 16Gb RAM and 1TB SSD.

Anyone know whereabouts in Pune or Mumbai I can get this? Have checked online but no one seems to be selling it yet.

Thanks!
The Kaby Lake ones will take atleat 1 to 2 months to come to India. They were just launched and generally Apple latest products take a couple of months to reach India.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 22:18   #2064
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I have an early 2013 Macbook Pro (13 inch, 2.6 GHz core i5, 8GB, Retina display). I am currently on OSX El-Capitan. Has any one updated such a MacBook Pro to MacOS Sierra? I ask as I had a very bad experience with my early 2010 MacBook Pro and OSX 10.9 Mavericks. The laptop became so slow that I had to discard it.

Thank you!
feluda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 23:32   #2065
BHPian

Default iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have an early 2013 Macbook Pro (13 inch, 2.6 GHz core i5, 8GB, Retina display). I am currently on OSX El-Capitan. Has any one updated such a MacBook Pro to MacOS Sierra? I ask as I had a very bad experience with my early 2010 MacBook Pro and OSX 10.9 Mavericks. The laptop became so slow that I had to discard it.

Thank you!

I have a 2015 rMBP 15 inch (i7,16GB). Ive been updating as soon as the update is out.
My sisters 13 inch rMBP (i5,8GB) of the same vintage is also running perfectly alright on sierra, along with a friend who has the 12 inch macbook.
I suggest taking a time machine backup, and then updating. Incase you feel you dont like it, enter recovery mode and restore from the backup 😃

Last edited by kkkkkaran : 9th June 2017 at 23:33.
kkkkkaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 01:40   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thank you!

You can go back and forth between versions as you please. A fresh installation using a Bootable USB drive is my go-to method whenever new OSX versions are released.
harsh79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 09:07   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thank you!
If your HDD is on an SSD you should have no problems whatsoever.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 10:48   #2068
BHPian

Six months after my charger got fried, I purchased new one at Apple store. Cost me a cool 6.9K

Connected it to the laptop and it started like nothing went wrong. A truck load of updates including one for a new OS. Just updated everything. The laptop is back to working like new.

The charger looks perfect but I feel it is charging the laptop a little slow than the one it originally came with. Will need to observe it more and also see how the battery drain is.

Simply unbelievable that the charger cost more than some entry level Android phones

Came to know that iPhone 7+ comes for 60K after 7K cashback for Axis cards. Offer is valid till end of June. Not yet decided on it when comparing it with Pixel XL and the upcoming HTC U11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
The Magsafe based proprietary charger + apple tax is bound to make it pricy. The new macbooks with USB C based chargers will definitely have cheaper chargers, with excellent aftermarket options also.

iPhone: Honestly not the best deal, considering amazon is offering the 32gb model for 57k flat.
Yeah, the later ones have a different sort of charger. I am just hoping this one sticks for more time than its predecessor. Have to be more careful when not charging it as well. Simply going to pull it off the main when not in use. Can't take a chance.

The iPhone was a 128GB model. Hence I thought it was better than online deals and what better than buying it off authorised reseller than off a warehouse somewhere?

Last edited by SchumiFan : 10th June 2017 at 10:57.
SchumiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 10:52   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post

Simply unbelievable that the charger cost more than some entry level Android phones

Came to know that iPhone 7+ comes for 60K after 7K cashback for Axis cards. Offer is valid till end of June. Not yet decided on it when comparing it with Pixel XL and the upcoming HTC U11.

The Magsafe based proprietary charger + apple tax is bound to make it pricy. The new macbooks with USB C based chargers will definitely have cheaper chargers, with excellent aftermarket options also.

iPhone: Honestly not the best deal, considering amazon is offering the 32gb model for 57k flat.
kkkkkaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 08:52   #2070
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My Magsafe 2 charger is in bad shape. Wire got cut badly from magnetic connector side.
Sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't.
I purchased a new one from Amazon but that also stopped working after 4 months.

I am planning to get wire (original apple manufactured) replaced in original charger.
I have seen some youtube videos of DIY but don't have tools and lazy to go that route.
Does anybody know a shop in Pune who can do this replacement?

thanks
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote