Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th April 2010, 04:41   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

Its really a shame how Apple India is being run.
I agree with you completely, Apple India is not being run even close to the US standards. Its more or less a retail game really. Indian people dont see volumes even close to american cities. In either case I would still recommend RSG they guys there seem pretty great (nononsense) if they can do it they say yes.

Even Reliance Digital who are doing the Apple Store in India are severely lacking. I had a horrid experence with Picatype in Pune will never deal with them again. Hitesh and Jatin at digital life in Pune get some good deals as well.
quickdraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 12:31   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Buy applecare from eBay USA. It will work out to be far cheaper then retail prices in India.
Noted - I find that it is currently for about 40% of the retail price in India - all I will get is an email with a code in it that I will have to enter somewhere in the Apple system - does that sound ok for a place like India? If something goes wrong with the Mac, I won't have anything on paper to show the local service system?
I am getting used to the Mac set up now - not that it takes too long. But it is all very slick and stylish, and the PC set ups feel clunky now. I was told that this is typical of Apple - people who switch to iphones find it hard to go back to other devices. I am not a power user of all the computing power of course, and I guess the new i pad would be best for people such as I, when we get the connectivity available in India. And at the rate things are moving, I suppose that will happen very soon too.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th April 2010 at 17:45. Reason: Fixin ze quote
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 16:49   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Noted - I find that it is currently for about 40% of the retail price in India - all I will get is an email with a code in it that I will have to enter somewhere in the Apple system - does that sound ok for a place like India? If something goes wrong with the Mac, I won't have anything on paper to show the local service system?
I am getting used to the Mac set up now - not that it takes too long. But it is all very slick and stylish, and the PC set ups feel clunky now. I was told that this is typical of Apple - people who switch to iphones find it hard to go back to other devices. I am not a power user of all the computing power of course, and I guess the new i pad would be best for people such as I, when we get the connectivity available in India. And at the rate things are moving, I suppose that will happen very soon too.
Just buy from someone who has high positive feedback. I got all my Applecare from there itself it they send a certificate in email. Its the same thing if you buy it in a box here, you gotta register the code online. Only extra is you get a CD with some tools which you can download from Apple's website for free anyways. The Apple service people here dont look at the certificates, the AppleCare is linked to your machine's serial number which you register online.
quickdraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 17:32   #274
Senior - BHPian

What is the best illustrator tool that's freely available for download to use on the OSX? I want to make stickers, generally draw, posters and whatever. Tejas, you made some cool Offroad stickers, what tool did you use and I hope they're free ;-)
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 20:24   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Went to Croma a few days back with my Dad to get him a Macbook.

The lady at the Apple counter, said they could extend a 7% discount (normally applicable only to Tata employees - using her id)

While her colleague was getting a new Macbook from their store, I was looking at the iMac. The current line up consists of the 21.5 inch or 27 inch model. The 21.5 inch was working out to Rs. 61,500/- ( after the 7% discount )

I've been using 2 Mac Mini's at work ( older processor - not Intel one ), and the CD drive of 1 of these went kaput recently. So, was eyeing the 21.5 inch iMac.

Again, the lady offered a ex-demo ( 2 months used ) 24 inch iMac ( previous gen. ) for a price of Rs. 58,000/- nett ( usual price: Rs. 78,000/- )

Told her to get it from the store, powered it up and checked the unit thoroughly. Was flawless.

Ended up buying 2 Mac's from Croma that day !!
Was this lady's name by any chance Shikha ?
If it is , I know her she used to work for Bose earlier. She knows a lot !
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 21:11   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Was this lady's name by any chance Shikha ?
If it is , I know her she used to work for Bose earlier. She knows a lot !
Yes, arjunrudra. You are right !

She knows a lot ?? ( please tell me you are being sarcastic ).

Initially, she told me the 27 inch iMAc was a brand new boxed piece. I was cheesed off, when her colleague got it from their store and it was an ex-demo.

Anyway, that gave me room to bargain on the price a bit more.
ecclipse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 11:10   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What is the best illustrator tool that's freely available for download to use on the OSX? I want to make stickers, generally draw, posters and whatever. Tejas, you made some cool Offroad stickers, what tool did you use and I hope they're free ;-)
Hey,

I used Photoshop CS4. Sorry, not free!

BTW, those stickers where basically put together using images available from the net. They were not completely designed by me from scratch.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 23:16   #278
BHPian

Redliner, try out GIMP for mac.

Its the 'free photoshop' for mac.
You can find tutorials on youtube, to learn how to use it too, i presume..

But my illustration program of choice would definitely by Adobe Illustrator. Rs. 18,000. Roughly!
ladak.imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 07:35   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Yes, arjunrudra. You are right !

She knows a lot ?? ( please tell me you are being sarcastic ).

Initially, she told me the 27 inch iMAc was a brand new boxed piece. I was cheesed off, when her colleague got it from their store and it was an ex-demo.

Anyway, that gave me room to bargain on the price a bit more.

Oh okay was not being sarcastic there, but she actually knew a lot when she was in bose atleast. Anyways how much of a bargain did you finally get ?
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 17:49   #280
Senior - BHPian

New Mac Mini has been announced. Additions being HDMI port and subtractions being the size Do check it out!
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 18:31   #281
Team-BHP Support

Damn, I just bought a Mac mini last week....

Although it did have mini-DVI and mini-Display port. The computer is almost the size of a external CDROM drive. Where is the news, link please?

Last edited by Samurai : 16th June 2010 at 20:10.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 19:45   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Damn, I just bought a Mac mini last week....

Although it did have mini-HDMI and mini-Display port. The computer is almost the size of a external CDROM drive. Where is the news, link please?
Here you go - Apple - Mac mini - The most affordable, energy-efficient Mac.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 21:53   #283
Team-BHP Support

Ok, the mini-DVI has been replaced by HDMI. I didn't notice anything major in the new one.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 22:18   #284
BHPian

Had problem getting MacBook Pro i5 in India. I ordered 2 numbers for my team and have been waiting for more than a month. Heard from the buyer that Apple had problem with current production series of i5 and we need to wait till the new series is shipped. Did any of you hear about it, or is my buyer fooling me.
In fact my buyer sources it from Singapore.

I got my MacBook pro i7 in US last month for $2500 (i7, protectionn plan and Fusion). Loving every bit of it, but have problem configuring Exchange mail in SnowLeopard. Tried all that I got in google search, no luck yet. Any tricks that will work?
Right now I am usign my old Lenovo T60 image as a VM in OSX for my office stuff. Wanted to get rid of Windows!
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 23:34   #285

Team-Bhp seems to be endless resevoir of varied topics.
Pleasantly surprised to see this thread.

Here is the introduction to my mac world.

Got my 1st imac 20 inch in 2008,
Followed by wireless keyboard & mighty mouse (which i hated for the glitchy scroll ball).
Followed by the Time Capsule 500Gb (running out of space now)
Followed by the 13 inch Macbookpro (purchased early 2010)
Followed by the magic mouse (Just love it inspite of ergonomic challenges)
got the Iphone 3G the very day it was launched in India (Airtel)
Somewhere in between these got the Airport express (least used, even though versatile)
A IPod 30gb too which is presently doing its duties in ANHC. (must have been a 2007 purchase)
Possibly the upcoming 4G Iphone (happy with the 3G though)

I am neither a Apple lover or MS basher.

My intro to Mac was during the Vista days. Having purchased boxed licensed pack of all the MS software I was terribly dissapointed with astronomical pricing of MS software for home use. The Office was at much higher price point than it is today (Rs2xxx/-) and meant only for students unlike for home use today.

Having started with iMAC there was no looking back, totally hooked to it.
Had vista been good as Win7 may be i would have never considered a Mac.

Paranoid me, got the Vmware (part of 50$ bundle sale) and installed the windows & office, which till date never really was required.

The imac often remains on almost 24 hours a day and no problems till date. The worst experince with apple product so far was having Airtel unlock my Iphone 3G.

Frequent visitor to mac.alltop.com apart from googling about mac.

Use the mac for web browsing, photo/video editing (simple stuff), scanning/archiving important personal documents, as a music player (with external bose speakers) and mail.
vtecker is offline   Reply With Quote