Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th August 2010, 08:07   #316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
And, like most things that are fun, only in small doses! It is quite tiring to use for an all day use environment.
Exactly, try using it 10-12 hours a day, it will start to hurt. The clicks are little hard compared to regular mice.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 08:48   #317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Exactly, try using it 10-12 hours a day, it will start to hurt. The clicks are little hard compared to regular mice.
I have the the older mighty mouse, which also I was not very happy with. Neat engineering I would say, but missed the big chunky scroll of a Logitech!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 10:23   #318
BHPian

A technical query,
we have a mac mini in our office. Is it possible to connect remotely to it from a windows system, like 'Remote Desktop' in windows?
I have heard there is something called 'Apple Remote Desktop' but it's not free. Is there any other alternative?
We want more than one person to use it at the same time. As a first step even screen sharing is fine.

I have tried setting up a VNC server (for screen sharing) on the mac and connecting from windows, but it didn't work.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 11th August 2010 at 10:24.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 12:05   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
A technical query,
we have a mac mini in our office. Is it possible to connect remotely to it from a windows system, like 'Remote Desktop' in windows?
I have heard there is something called 'Apple Remote Desktop' but it's not free. Is there any other alternative?
We want more than one person to use it at the same time. As a first step even screen sharing is fine.

I have tried setting up a VNC server (for screen sharing) on the mac and connecting from windows, but it didn't work.
I guess it should work, if you can tunnel through correctly.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:32   #320
BHPian

Quote:
A technical query,

VNC should work, check your firewall and make sure VNC is allowed as well the in bound connections. You can look at this steps for smoother installation/configuration.
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 13:32   #321
BHPian

@ampere and @funda2max
yeah even i think it should have worked, will try again.
thanks for the link.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:38   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ampere and @funda2max
yeah even i think it should have worked, will try again.
thanks for the link.
Are you trying to access it from out side the office?
If yes, you will need to go through VPN and the once your m/c gets assigned a local Network IP, VNC should work. The mac mini should be yet another UNIX like box, which all of us regularly access through VNC.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:42   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are you trying to access it from out side the office?
If yes, you will need to go through VPN and the once your m/c gets assigned a local Network IP, VNC should work. The mac mini should be yet another UNIX like box, which all of us regularly access through VNC.
No, this is from within the office. It is connected to the same LAN as other systems. I am able to access the shares on the lan from the mac. One difference though, it is not part of the domain.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:46   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No, this is from within the office. It is connected to the same LAN as other systems. I am able to access the shares on the lan from the mac. One difference though, it is not part of the domain.
If that is the case, then you should be able to rsh to the machine, start a vnc session and be able to access it from your windows m/c.
Old 11th August 2010, 15:51   #325
BHPian

OK, it turns out, the problem was with the real vnc viewer. It was not supported on windows 7.
I tried to another vnc viewer (tight vnc), and it worked! So there wasn't anything to be done in the mac apart from enabling screen sharing.

Also the opposite, accessing windows screen from a vnc viewer in mac, too worked.
Old 11th August 2010, 16:03   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OK, it turns out, the problem was with the real vnc viewer. It was not supported on windows 7.
I tried to another vnc viewer (tight vnc), and it worked! So there wasn't anything to be done in the mac apart from enabling screen sharing.

Also the opposite, accessing windows screen from a vnc viewer in mac, too worked.
By the way now you have also the enterprise version of Real VNC. That allows you login through your UNIX account rather than a separate password.
It also has encryption built in.
Old 11th August 2010, 16:32   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By the way now you have also the enterprise version of Real VNC. That allows you login through your UNIX account rather than a separate password.
It also has encryption built in.
I found UltraVNC as reliable solution in Windows 2008/R2 or Win 7. It is very good and Free! Enterprise version of Real VNC comes with a price though.
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 19:14   #328
BHPian

Here's my Mac collection.
Got the 20" iMac. 15" MacBook Pro & 15" MacBook Pro i7
Attached Images

speed kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 16:49   #329
BANNED

I have tried everything possible but still cant get the phone paired with the Pro to use the phone as a server. I even called Tata Docomo and they helped me through, with no result. Can anyone help?? The phone is a Nokia E71
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 22:33   #330
BANNED

URGENT HELP REQUIRED: Need to get a project done in which I need to edit some video clips. iMovie isnt helping!! Please someone HELP!! Is there anything like the Windows Movie Maker that we had on the PC????
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote