Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 18th September 2010, 09:28   #346
BHPian

Default Macbook Pro (Extended 2yr warranty)

Guys,
I bought Macbook Pro (15"/ i7), about 2 months ago. Payed about 1.3L for the book. At that time due to shortage of fund skipped the 2yr extended care plan offered by Apple. The plan cost around 19K. It's time now to decided whether I should opt for it or skip it, since the dealer told me I have three months from the date of purchase to opt for the 2yr extended plan. What do you suggest?
Regards
jimmyjagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 11:56   #347
BHPian

Id say take it. It gives you peace of mind for a whole 3 years. Anything goes wrong, your covered in both labour & parts (In essence no cost for repairs apart from you having to take it to a service centre). And believe me, if anything does go wrong, then you are rest assured that the parts are exorbitantly priced. 17k for the optical drive was my rude awakening a couple of years back when discs were still the norm & high capacity pen drives were just starting to come in (Ofcourse, i just bought an external optical drive instead ).

So if anything goes wrong, you are assured that the 19k will be well spent, & if nothing goes wrong, then you still have peace of mind as a result of the APP.

Plus, your spending the price of a nano for the book, might as spend an extra 19k & have complete peace of mind for a whole 3 years
And dont forget to register your new book online ASAP.

On another note, it used to be that you can buy the APP within the standard warranty (i.e. a year from purchase of the product) & not just 3 months. Check on this as its always a good bet to use the standard warranty for a year & guage if anything goes wrong. You can always buy the APP just before your warranty runs out.

Last edited by Xehaust : 18th September 2010 at 12:04.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 13:06   #348
BHPian

Default Telephonic support

[quote=
On another note, it used to be that you can buy the APP within the standard warranty (i.e. a year from purchase of the product) & not just 3 months. Check on this as its always a good bet to use the standard warranty for a year & guage if anything goes wrong. You can always buy the APP just before your warranty runs out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,
the only catch in buying the APP just before the year runs out is that I get devoid of the telephonic support. On the other hand, I have 2 dell, one HP and one compaq system, have never used a telephonic support on them. Also telephonic support is for software issues only, like OS, iwork and internet/printer resolves on MAC.
So what do you say about this, is it worth paying now and getting telephonic support for 3 years, or getting APP just before standard warranty runs out and not get any telephonic support?
jimmyjagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 16:38   #349
Team-BHP Support

The three warranty in case of Apple is a must. You feel you loose so much money, but believe me, in case something has to be replaced,
you recover all your investment!

You just need to have this extended warranty.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 19:16   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
Thanks,
the only catch in buying the APP just before the year runs out is that I get devoid of the telephonic support. On the other hand, I have 2 dell, one HP and one compaq system, have never used a telephonic support on them. Also telephonic support is for software issues only, like OS, iwork and internet/printer resolves on MAC.
So what do you say about this, is it worth paying now and getting telephonic support for 3 years, or getting APP just before standard warranty runs out and not get any telephonic support?
I bought a macbook in April, after years of PC use. I will decide on the APP in March 2011. I have never felt the need for the telephonic support. I do not believe that computer savvy Indians need it!
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 00:11   #351
BHPian

The MBP that i'm using currently (early 2007) had the extended APP.

A year ago, my screen went bad - few dead pixels - and the guy who replaced it (for free ofcourse), told me if I didn't have an APP, I would have to shell out upwards of 40k!

Plus my dvd superdrive went bust as well, got that replaced for free too.

And within a month, my screen went bad again, and once more, free replacement!

I'd say go for the extended APP! It's a must.
ladak.imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 02:44   #352
BHPian

I use a Mac Mini and had APP. nothing went wrong in the last 3 1/2 yrs other than a faulty DVI-VGA converter. which i replaced. I'm off APP now.

But a friend who has the same config. and didn't have warranty and almost everything conked and wound up paying more than the comp itself (he could have bought the new one)

And since you are using a MB I'd say it worth the insurance! esp since its 'cash less'
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 16:54   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
Thanks,
I think you answered your question yourself
I have never used telephonic support myself.

Also, APP means you WILL get telephonic support REGARDLESS of if you buy now or later.

Last edited by Xehaust : 19th September 2010 at 16:55.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 21:38   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
iWorks any day. If you have 2 days to get used to it, you wont use Msoft for the next 2 yrs. Excel was the "kingmaker" and trump card that MS trumpeted. now Numbers can do everything excel can do. Us getting to unravel that is the battle.
Hi Johnda,
Thank you for supporting with iworks. If so how about download both Mac office and iwork for 30 days free trial and decide. Can we open the iworks file in PC?
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 23:27   #355
Team-BHP Support

Guys what are free financial management S/Ws available for MAC?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 04:10   #356
BANNED

Carbonfibre Ferrari Skin for the MAC. Somehow though, the dimensions have been messed up a bit
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-100_6598.jpg  

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-100_6600.jpg  

Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 14:59   #357
Senior - BHPian

Cyrus, sorry to be so blunt but that looks terrible. The macbook pro is so beautiful on its own. Why ruin it?

Anyways for everyone out there who plans on buying applecare from ebay - be very careful. I hear apple has changed their policy as of October and now it is no longer possible to buy codes from ebay. Does anyone know anything about this?

How are the service centres in India? Good customer service? Fast?

Last edited by khanak : 21st October 2010 at 15:11.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 23:12   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
How are the service centres in India? Good customer service? Fast?
Apple does not have a service center of its own. The various dealers themselves fix the problems.

Service support is questionable if repair is done locally by the dealers. As long as the dealer has good engineers things are fine.

Most operate on small scale & I would believe the service quality may not be consistent as one would expect of Apple. Even Reliance digital which is part of RIL group; unlike what we hear of apple genius; I am not at all comfortable when I interact with them on any thing technical, their engineers do not come out as knowledgeable or tech savy. Not sure if they are real engineers or just somebody placed as engineers.

Few items like keyboard & mouse is a replacement (no repairs) and usually no issues what so ever, as long as you are covered in warranty or APP.

Iphone which was not being supported either by the operators or dealers is now being supported by apple. I know that they would replace the Iphone if battery change is determined. Again surprisingly Reliance digital in Ghatkopar does this battery testing / replacement with new Iphone (Rs 18xx/-) while the Reliance digital outlet in Pune is totally unware of this scheme. This is applicable even for the ones which are out of one year warranty. (Apple never offered the 2nd year extended warranty of Iphone at least I tried and could not get it.)

Would love to hear about the experience with various dealers repair quality & capability. I havent had a need for repairs; only replacement of my mouse & keyboard with the IPhone in pipeline (if battery change is determined by Apple dealer).
vtecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 09:23   #359
BHPian

Are there any grey market iMac suppliers in Mumbai and Pune?
How about Lamington Road or Heera Panna in Mumbai
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:23   #360
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how much the education discount is on Macs? Does it bring it in line with international pricing?
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote